PDA

View Full Version : How To Clean A Lubricator/sizer?

trky chsr
04-28-2013, 07:53 PM
I obtained a older used Lyman 450 bullet sizer and I would like to know how the heck to clean the old cruddy lube out of it. Any ideas? TC

theperfessor
04-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Boil it in hot water. The old lube will float to the top. Scrubbing it with hot soapy water will do the rest. Be sure to lube any bare surfaces if it will sit for a while before repainting or use.

Edit to add: Welcome to the site!

NWFLYJ
04-28-2013, 08:06 PM
I purchased a used one also. I used a propane torch to heat it up after I disassembled it. The heat makes the lube run and the open flame burns off the excess lube. Don't heat it too much. Mark

littlejack
04-28-2013, 08:56 PM
trky chsr:
Welcome to the Cast Boolits.
I have changed lube in my 450 a few times. First I dismantled it, then used a propane torch to melt out the bulk of the old lube with the top of the reservoir tipped down to drain in some sort of a catch pan/pot/bucket. Then I got a pot of water to boil, and put the main casting in the pot. As stated, this took out the remainder of the lube. I got tired of changing lubes, so I bought a second hand Lyman 45, and did the same procedure. I then put BP lube in it. Now I have a sizer for white powder, and one for black powder. No more changing lubes.
Regards
Jack

Cherokee
04-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome !! +1 on the comments

chboats
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
I take it apart. Put it on a cookie sheet type pan and put it in a 200 degree oven for 1-2 hours. Take it out wipe it down then let it cool.

Carl

trky chsr
04-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies! A few people on another site recommended the oven method and I may try that. My only worry with propane is melting the o-rings. I know I could remove them but in my experience removing older o-rings usually means buying new o-rings :smile: TC

Iron Mike Golf
04-29-2013, 10:43 PM
I have used a torpedo heater on my SAECO. You can set it far enough away to not worry about overheating and melting rings or seals and close enough to melt the lube. I set it up and leave it for 20 min or so.

If I am in a hurry, I carefully use a propane torch.

littlejack
04-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Hey Carl, how the heck are ya?
Regards to ya sir.
Jack

Mk42gunner
04-30-2013, 01:40 AM
I boiled out an RCBS LAM, said never again, and used a propane torch on a Lyman 450. I much prefer to use the torch, but I used to do a lot of plumbing and refigeration work. It doesn't really take a lot of heat to melt most lubes.

Robert

Ed_Shot
04-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Take it apart then boil the body. I used the same cast iron pot I smelt in for boiling. Attach a piece of wire to make it easy to fish out of the boiling water and hang it to dry. Quick, easy and effective.

BoolitSchuuter
04-30-2013, 08:42 AM
I've used the boil method and the heat gun method. I prefer the boil method.

Vulcan Bob
04-30-2013, 11:27 AM
I used a hair dryer set on high, had the RCBS LAM mounted on the bench with an old towel underneath to catch the crud. Once it heated up it came out looking like new inside.

EDG
04-30-2013, 09:48 PM
I would never fool with boiling it.
Just take it out side with a hair dryer of heat gun and melt the stuff out. Use a clean cloth to wipe off the last of the lube on the surface. If you get tired. Set it aside come back later and finish it off. You can just heat small areas to soften the residual on the surface so you can wipe it off.