PDA

View Full Version : my smoothbore misbehaves......

mainiac
04-27-2013, 08:59 PM
I had this 28 gauge smooth bore built,to partridge hunt with,,using shot.But ive been playing around with it,shooting a .519 patched ball,and the gun shoots very well.

This gun dont know it aint supposed to shoot like a rifle!! It will shoot 50 yard groups of 2 inches or less,very easily. It shoots fully as well as some of my rifles.It is so nice to seat the ball with little effort,and shoot it all afternoon,without wiping,and the clean up is so much easier/quicker then the rifled bore.

Im kind of wondering how you fellers smoothbores shoot? Do these things normally shoot like this,or did i get a lucky one? Im wondering if i should have another one built,with no rifling in the bore.Kinda think i might take a chance again......
BTW, its a 44 inch colerain oct-to-round barrell.

dualsport
04-27-2013, 09:12 PM
That's excellent accuracy. I shoot a PRB occasionally in my New Englander 12 ga. and would be very happy with 2" groups. I get more like 4-5", but considering the sights I'm not complaining. Smoothbores are a lot of fun.

Mike Brooks
04-28-2013, 11:21 AM
28 bores are exceptional RB shooters.

pietro
04-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Turnabout's fair play - I had a T/C renegade .56SB (smoothbore with rifle sights), that T/C once made especially for those BP hunters who were from state that in the early 70's mandated muzzleloaders for their first BP deer seasons, but no rifled muzzleloaders.

For deer, I used a PRB, with good effect.

I also used to load it with 28ga shotcups/wads over BP with an overshot wad for small game & birds when deer weren't in season.
(The BP deer season was only a week long, back then)

It worked just fine, except I never knew if I scored, until the smoke cleared.................... :D

DIRT Farmer
04-28-2013, 02:46 PM
In my experience the smaller the bore the better smooth bores shoot PBR. It could be the recoil factor. Shot on the other hand bigger is better. I shoot mainly shot in my 28 but there is no reason to miss a deer at 100 yds or a squrriel's head at 25 yds with PBR other than opperator error.

johnson1942
05-01-2013, 09:07 AM
i was watching the military channel a couple of days ago and suddenly realized that most tank guns are now smoothbores. boy am i out of the loop on things like that. has any one ever done a roundball with fins on it to shoot in a smoothbore rifle. am i right to say their is a shotgun slug that looks like a large pellet for a pellet gun? if so how would they works in a smooth bore? i think pacific rifle co. years ago said some shooters were useing a large bullet that looked like a pellet gun pellet in their large bore slow twist guns. anyways i bet some one has done something along these line?

waksupi
05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
i was watching the military channel a couple of days ago and suddenly realized that most tank guns are now smoothbores. boy am i out of the loop on things like that. has any one ever done a roundball with fins on it to shoot in a smoothbore rifle. am i right to say their is a shotgun slug that looks like a large pellet for a pellet gun? if so how would they works in a smooth bore? i think pacific rifle co. years ago said some shooters were useing a large bullet that looked like a pellet gun pellet in their large bore slow twist guns. anyways i bet some one has done something along these line?

Considering how well a round ball works in smooth bores, there is no reason to play with any other projectiles.
I've also got a 28 bore that I have been trying to sell. Definitely a good shooter, I just have too many smooth bores! (Did I just say that?!!!)

johnson1942
05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
im with out any knowledge of smooth bore muzzle loaders so ill ask the question, would they take the deer and antelope ive taken with a rifled muzzle loader at 150 to 215 yard? if so i want to build one.

waksupi
05-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Considering I won't shoot at an animal at over 200 yards, I couldn't tell you that. A smooth rifle will be somewhat more accurate, as it has sights. A regular smoothbore accuracy is in direct proportion in how much you are willing to practice with it. Even when shooting antelope, I have just made it a practice to get close. I can be a sneaky bastid.

missionary5155
05-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Greetings
Back to todays main gun tank projectiles.. Highly engineered fin stabalised very long for caliber projectile (37mm loaded into a 120 mm sabot) zinging along at about 5000 fps muzzle velocity.
So I recon if we-uns could manipulate BP to get us cooking to similar velocities we could count on fin stabalised projectiles.
What I envision coming out of a 28 guage would be a "flishett" type caliber .22 loaded into a sabot and hurled down range with some 4F. But even then I dought you could get cose to 5000 fps.
Mike in Peru

GARD72977
05-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't think black powder by itself will leave the bbl at 5000fps.

DIRT Farmer
05-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Johnson, Considering that I have muzzleloading target rifles That have the capability to take game at ranges as for as any modern rifle providing I know the exact range, tempature, air pressure and density and wind providing I don't screw up, the chalange to me is to get as close as possible. I hunt funnels and study to find movement areas where a 50 yd shot is avatible in a 200 acre corn field. My favorite way of turkey hunting is stalking them. I got within 22 steps of a Rio two weeks ago in Western Kansas two weeks ago before I managed to blow the shot with my Bess. Even on the open pararie there are places where one can be as Waksupi put it, quite sneeky.

johnson1942
05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
where i hunt their is nothing but 6 inches of grass between me and the critter their for long shots are a must

waksupi
05-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Six inches of grass? That's a jungle! Try eastern Montana, you have one inch buffalo grass, and some prickly pear!

johnson1942
05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
got me.

DIRT Farmer
05-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Gotta watch that prickly pear, I just researched that, it is good cover but it will nail one from east of the big river.

Col4570
05-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Johnson 1942,Hi from England,The Breneck Slug is one projectile with spin that will perform well in smoothbore guns with no chokes.Look it up you may find something to suit your gun.By the sound of it you have a nice shooter there.
Regards.

johnson1942
05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
thanks i will look up the breneck slug, seems to me i read something about them once, thanks again.

Maven
05-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Col4570 and johnson 1942, Is this what you are referring to and seeking information about? http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_home.html

johnson1942
05-04-2013, 06:19 PM
yes, very interesting