PDA

View Full Version : Anyone casting for a 9mm or .40 Glock?

alha
04-27-2013, 06:34 PM
I am slowly getting my setup together, and am now in the mold searching phase. I am looking to cast for a Glock 9mm and a .40, and really need some advice on getting it right the 1st time. Molds are kind of expensive right now, not to mention are hard to come by if you are looking for one priced reasonably, so I want to make sure that I only buy it once if possible. If you were starting out, where would you begin in looking for the needed molds and such for them? I've heard that it is ok to shoot lead out of Glocks, and have heard that it makes them go Boom. As I don't have any experience either way, I am going to toss it out to you guys for your wisdom and advice. I'm always impressed with the level of knowledge around here, and that usually people are very helpful and non-condescending when answering questions of us Noobs. Thanks for anything you can share with me on this, it is greatly appreciated.

Raven_Darkcloud
04-27-2013, 06:39 PM
I use a 357/38 mold sized to .357. it is a lee 358-125-rf for 9mm in my glock 19. It works great. As for a 40 I have not cast any yet. I have put 1500 of them through my glock with vary little leading.

Bwana
04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
You start here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast

wv109323
04-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Your answer kind of depends on how much you are going to shoot. If 100 rounds a month or less you could stick with 2 cavity molds. If more I would consider 4 or 6 cavity molds.
The Lee molds are adequate but are not what I would call a mold that will last a lifetime. Lyman seems to have quality control problems according to the "chatter" on this website.
The RCBS are very good but they only make 2 cavity molds. Any of the custom molds made by the vendors on this website are top notch. I don't think you will lose any money on any bullet mold that you choose to resell if it doesn't work for you.
You don't say what your intentions are but I like boolits of 120-125 gns for the 9mm. I prefer the TC better than the round nose. I don't have any experience with the .40 S&W but around 170gns is the most popular.
I also don't own a Glock but here is a summation. With the polygonal barrel of the Glock you need to confirm that your load is not leading the barrel excessively causing higher than normal pressures. Shoot a few and check for leading.
Also the Glock has more unsupported cartridge case than most pistols. Glock does this to improve reliability. The unsupported case can cause problems with heavy high pressure rounds and brass that has been reloaded multiple times. The .40 S&W was designed to operate at very high pressures with the 9mm not far behind.
The unsupported area of the cartridge has been reported to cause ruptured cases also known as KABOOMS. Glock recommends that only new ammo be fired in their pistols which insures that new brass and is not near as likely to cause a ruptured case.
Some Glock owners elect to go with an aftermarket barrel which eliminates the unsupported case and the barrel has conventional rifling.
There are numerous Glock owners that fire reloaded ammo but I would err on the side of caution and not load my rounds very hot.

Menner
04-27-2013, 09:30 PM
if you are looking for a mold that will let you cast a bollit for every occasion try this site
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/
I just got a hollow point mold from Erik for my 40 S&W it was $105 with shipping but I had it in about a week and it is a slick working mold this will allow you to be free from J Things by the time you buy a couple of boxes of HP ( if you can find them ) the mold will pay for its self
just my 2 cents

Menner
04-27-2013, 09:37 PM

here is a couple of pick of the bollits

Muddydogs
04-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Lee 358 105 SWC for a light plinking load in a 9mm Glock 26 and Lee 401 175 SWC in a XD .40 here.

Ammohouse
04-27-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm new to casting also.
I just ordered the Lyman 356242 to use in my sons M&P 9mm and I got the Lyman 452374 to use in my S&W 625.
I decided to start casting again because IDPA season is starting and it's getting too hard to find bullets.
All of my stuff should be here next weekend so maybe I'll see how much I remember from my younger days then.
Post your results and I'll do the same.

MtGun44
04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Here is a good place to start.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

Use the search engine, lots of info out there.

Bill

Oreo
04-27-2013, 11:39 PM
The thing about glocks having "unsupported", or poorly supported chambers was resolved with an apparent design modification about 10yrs ago. There's a picture floating around that shows the difference of the old and new chambers. 40cal Glocks made since then have plenty of chamber support. If you have a recent production glock I'd put this out of your head entirely as a non-issue.

plainsman456
04-27-2013, 11:47 PM
For 40 caliber molds look at the ones NOE sell.

I got one of the 160 i think and one of the heavier ones.

For the nine i use several from RCBS,the weights go from 90-125.

Oreo
04-28-2013, 04:44 AM
I own a pair of the .40 NOE "RG4" molds and they are first class molds. I don't think they are in stock at the moment though.

There are two .40 Miha group buys running right now for which I am the honch and boolit designer. No idea yet when they will go to production though. If you don't mind waiting they're a good option.

jpjames
04-28-2013, 07:49 AM
I shoot cast in my Glock. I use the 175 grain Lee mold. It's a 10mm, which is just the "man" version of the .40. So far, no problems. My chamber is fully supported, too!

kweidner
04-28-2013, 07:55 AM
I have the 180 noe in 40 and it is great. I also have his 134 rfn in 9mm. size the 9mm to .358 and let it go. I have shot it in ruger, glock smiths, taurus, high point, and springfields with no leading. I was reliability testing and this is a great mold. The 40 cal rn sized to 4015 has been shot in taurus, smith, and springfield so far. Only glock that it has been shot over a couple rounds in has a lone wolf bbl.

Raven_Darkcloud
04-28-2013, 11:33 AM
I will also chime in on the relo in glock. If you have a gen 3 or gen 4 glock you should be fine. I have sent thousands of reloaded rounds down my gen 3 g19 and around 1500 cast. My carry rounds are my own 124gr xtp with hs-6 at max. I have tested a few hundred of them without issue. As long as you pay attention, use good load data, and size your boolits to the bore all will be fine. Slug the bore to get the size. Never rush when reloading or casting, and check your work often.

mdi
04-28-2013, 11:49 AM
I've had good experience with Lee's 125 gr RNFP. I can size it for my .38 and .357 (.,358"+) or my 9mms (.357"). This is what I've found to be useful, not what I've "heard around the web"...

alha
04-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Guys, thanks for all the informative replies. I just bought 2 gen 4's so they are the latest design, and hopefully won't have the feed issues the older ones did. I am very glad to read opinions about the molds from different mfgs, this is something I've wondered about since I decided to get into this hobby, who makes the "best" mold? It seems that the best ones are the ones that are custom made, and since I don't think I will have that big an assortment of them, the cost difference isn't that great, but the quality appears to be.

Thanks also for the links to the other threads, I need to get better at using the search tool here. I plan on making decent quantities of ammo, if I want to get good with my guns I need to practice with them, and seeing the absolute derth of ammo now, and for the forseeable future (it's already been 4 months, and nothing seems to be getting better in the ammo dept, though I am starting to see more guns become available, hence my recent purchases). I will keep reading, check out the links, and contact the mold mfgs that were referenced. Thank you again guys, it is really appreciated, because it is hard starting out with something like this, knowing what is good, bad, recommended or to be avoided, and getting it from people who have been there is worth it's weight in Gol.. umm Lead! Thanks!

Ammohouse
04-28-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree that ammo is real hard to find now....and I actually work for a ammo company!
Has anybody used the Lyman 356242 for 9mm and the Lyman 452374 for 45???
I'll take all advice.

MtGun44
04-29-2013, 12:07 AM
452374 is a good one, but I prefer H&G 68 200 SWC. My 356242
casts small and I have not tried it for 9mm. It may work in the
120 gr version, but I think the 90 gr may be awfully short for
this application. Consider Lee 356-120-TC.

Bill

Bill

robbyPGP2014
11-10-2019, 06:05 PM
I have 3 moulds for the 40/10mm, a Lee 6 can 145 gr a Lee 6 can 175 gr , and a165 gr. accurate mould . I shoot all three in a10mm 40 glocks, plus three others All shoot well in every pistol, but the accurate mould is easily my favorite mould to use. Having said that both Lee moulds cast good boolits probiliby are as good for the money as there is.

44Blam
11-10-2019, 11:31 PM
I've got a Glock 35 and I cast/load for .357 sig and .40 S&W.

The .357 sig is a 9mm boolit that one is an Accurate molds 35-125YG. I shoot these out of a KKM barrel with AA7 powder. They are super sonic and have a nice flat trajectory. Very accurate.

The 40 boolits I load are a Noe mold HTC402-188-WFN. I shoot these out of a .40 KKM barrel with AA7 powder. This mold makes flat tip/cup points/hollow points. I tend to cast the cup points. This is also very accurate.

If I'm shooting plated bullets, I shoot them out of the factory barrel. Otherwise, I shoot lead through a KKM barrel. I know everyone says you can shoot lead out of a Glock barrel, but I found that the factory barrel mildly leadded and my accuracy was poor and erratic. I switched to the KKM barrel and the accuracy is very good and I get no leadding.

Lagamor
11-10-2019, 11:45 PM
I’ll jump into a six year old thread. I have a couple of MP Molds that are great, but I just bought a couple of Accurate molds and I like them even more.
I’ve moving towards keeping it simple, no hollow points, or lube grooves. Truncated cones with bevel bases to make loading simple.

kevin c
11-11-2019, 12:54 AM
I have Lee, Accurate and MP molds in 9mm. I use the MP molds the most, and have the most variants from MP as well. The Accurate molds are great, but I like the higher production rate of MP's eight cavity molds.

cwlongshot
11-11-2019, 08:38 AM
I for one like to see older threads “rehashed”. Good info for all is usually the result!

Something that wasnt as common back in ‘13 is powder coating. It IS A JACKET and negates worries about stock glock barrels.

I have shot untold numbers thru my competition G35 factory barrel. I also have KKM/Lone Wolf/ & Silencer-CO barrels. All shoot well. But the glock works real well with my fat forties! I cannot shoot 402 reliably from my KKM’s. They shoot very well, but need assist to completely chamber.

I use a LEE 358-125 & Accurate 360-135 RD for my 357 Sig barrels and gun.

Sorry I dont do 9MM.

Good luck

CW