PDA

View Full Version : Saw a used model 53 today

Jack Stanley
09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I was wandering around a gun shop today and happened across a used Browning model 53 . I thought they were such a neat item that I bought one back when they first came out . And now , I see a used one with an asking price of almost a thousand bucks . Wow ! none for me , but then this is an old line shop that has been around forever and they seem to always find someone with more money .
What I haven't seen in a very long time is the matching hunting knife that could be had as well .

Jack

9.3X62AL
09-07-2007, 09:58 AM
In 2004, I went into SEARCH MODE for a 32-20 rifle. This process mostly consisted of serial sticker shock at the prices for any rifle in that caliber. I was drawn to the Cimarron 1873 repros like a moth to a flame......then found an original rifle (24" barrel) with honest wear and decent bore for about the same price ($1100). THAT one almost went home with me, and I was poised to throw the cash down when I found a NIB Marlin 94CCL for half that price. It has been a delightful little carbine, and its accuracy with castings is slowly improving as its bore wears in. Like its 1989-vintage 1894CL cousin in 25-20, it was instantly accurate with j-words, but took a little time and shooting to get right with the poured ones.

I don't think I ever saw a knife in a "set" with the Browning M-53's when they were being made.

Jack Stanley
09-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I went to a show a couple hours in the other direction today . Oddly enough , there was another Browning model fifty-three present . It had some dings and wear but the guy still wanted six ninety-five . I came back to reality when I got the sticker shock of an original Winchester fifty-three ........ just five bucks shy of three thousand dollars . [smilie=1:

I went and found the knife , I hadn't seen it in years . It did not come with the rifle , it seems it was commisioned by somebody and two thousand of them were made . Blade is stamped "Model 53" and "one of two thousand" also , Japan . I left the bill in the box and the date was 1993 and the knife came from Ron Shirks Shooting Supply in Pennsylvania .

I had one of the first Marlin 32-20's , the rifle had some issues that marlin wouldn't deal with . I sold it just before I found the Browning and all has been well since :Fire:

Jack