PDA

View Full Version : Dad just finished...

jonk
09-06-2007, 11:07 AM
building an 1803 Harper's Ferry. Using an original barrel! He got the barrel a few years back for $45. It had been drilled out to a smoothbore of .61 from its original .54 rifled caliber; probably for the Indian trade. It was being sold by a reputable muzzleloader dealer, who said that it was in every way sound and fine to shoot. Still, to be sure, we somewhat hesitantly proof fired it using a double ball and double powder charge three times- no issues, it is indeed fine. He then went about hand carving a stock (! eep! More than I could do !), got a lock, brasswork, etc.

The gun weighs a ton, but shoots quite well. Not that we intend to shoot it all that much in deference to the bbl age, but it put 5/5 round balls in a 4" group at 25 yards- not bad for a smoothbore firing offhand! It also shoots shot quite nicely- I don't know how much I could lug it around but it would make a fine rabbit gun if I were so inclined. Maybe take it sometime and carry it for an hour or so, then switch over to a regular shotgun?

Anyhow, very cool, very cool. Will get some pics soon!

SharpsShooter
09-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Sounds right nice. Looking forward to the pics. The extra weight just helps you maintain a good "follow through" on those wing shots

SS