PDA

View Full Version : Lee 310gr GS without using gas check?

jarrodl
04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Can I shoot a lee 310 gr GS bullet it 44 mag without using a gas check if the load it mild say 1000-1100 fps? Is their a disadvantage? I would like to run it in a ruger 96/44. WOuld this be a good bullet? Seems like that big flat front would make an impact.

snowtigger
04-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Why not use gas checks?

ubetcha
04-27-2013, 08:12 AM
It is my understanding that you can as long as the alloy is the right mix and keep volicty low.There is a sticky on this somewhere. look under the gascheck section.There is a sticky about this question

exdxgxe4life
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Can you...YES Should you...Maybe. You'll only know when you shoot them. the two problems you will/might run into is leading and accuracy. You might have leading because the gases ride higher up along the bullet and could melt the lead that much faster. Accuracy could suffer because the bullet was designed to be shot with a GC. To plug myself, if you're in the market for gas checks let me know. I make some out of aluminum that I have sold them on here before (about to re-post in the swapping section actually). Just PM if interested, I sell them for about half the cost of Hornady copper checks.