PDA

View Full Version : "Leftovers" Day

BruceB
09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
The ol' Schuetzenwagen is almost as bad as my shop.

That is, it accumulates "stuff" at a rate which astonishes me, and among the accumulation are HUNDREDS of assorted rounds which for some reason never got fired. The piles of blue Midway ammo boxes got close to life-threatening dimensions, so today I flung a bunch of rifles in the van and set out to "recover" some of that idle brass.

I fired about 280 rounds of '06 (M700, 36X Tasco), 240 rounds of .303 ("Miz Liz", my gorgeous new-condition #4 Mk2, Parker Hale 5C sight), 130 rounds of .30-40 (NRA Krag "Sporter), about 200 rounds of 7.62x39 (Ruger 77, Bushnell 3-9X), and I put 90 .338s through my Savage 116 with Loopy 3-9X.

There were some hot barrels, by George, even though the weather was a refreshing change from the kiln it's been for weeks.

The site was Mr. Piquet's gravel pit, where we held the Nevada Shoot this year. Setting up at 200 yards, I fired some of the stuff from prone and sitting off my Dillon range mat...a very nice accessory. Mostly, I shot from the van's benchrest, and I discovered something: No matter WHAT load I happened to be firing, and there were many, many different ones contained in those round counts above, no matter the load, they ALL yielded enough "accuracy" at 200 yards to make for some real fun plinking.

Didn't even post a target today, just fired at twigs, stones, bunchgrass etc etc....and it was fun. I twiddled adjustments with complete abandon, chasing impacts all over the backstop. Even Miz Liz with her iron sights was nailing small clumps of grass etc with gratifying regularity....with three different bullet designs.

For "just fun" shooting, maybe I need to recalibrate my intensity level in developing "accuracy loads". To paraphrase the old statement that "Speed is fine, but accuracy is fatal," I might just adopt my own version: "Accuracy is fine, but SHOOTING is FUN!"

I'm gonna have to remember that.

The next "leftovers" trip will be a tad more strenuous, because I did the easy half today. On the menu will be the .404, .416 Rigby, and .45-70, as well as 7.62 NATO and .32 Special, and a couple others I noticed in the piles as well.

Some of this ammo had been in the van for over two full years or more, through at least two blazing Nevada summers with in-vehicle temps surely reaching the 120s if not more. Once again, to my great pleasure, not a single round showed any irregularity or weakness after that horrible treatment. It tends to give one confidence, it does.

NVcurmudgeon
09-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Zounds! Over 900 rounds plinking at targets of opportunity sounds like more fun than the law allows. Wish I'd been there. The significant sentence in your post was the one about "recovering some of that idle brass." That shows that you have an advanced case of Dementia Ammostuffitis, emptying cases so that you will have somethng to reload.

I went to the range today and rid the world of nearly 100 9mm rounds loaded with a powder charge that did not work out. Still have 200-300 to go. Also shot up the last few Whelens experimentally loaded with Onceabull's "dividend" boolits. Funny, a load that isn't the greatest grouper shoots offhand as good as the match grade stuff.

But my "production" of empties waiting to be re-reloaded pales into insignificance by comparison. Yep, BruceB does plinking in wholesale lots.

AnthonyB
09-06-2007, 02:57 AM
I hope to begin a leftovers day in the morning so I can empty brass I loaded today, especially 44 Magnum! Tony

BruceB
09-06-2007, 09:34 AM
It was a bit of a Marathon, for sure. Arrived there at just before 0900 and left about 1630, shooting without a break almost the whole time. That was entirely with bolt actions, too.

Shuz
09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Bruce--You gotta have a shoulder that is either numb or made outta some kinda man made material!

tanstafl10
09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh! Then I am not the only one with the "leftover" problem!!!???

Not that I am in the same league, but good to know that others are in the same situation.

Brass Liberation Day... need to celebrate that now and again.

JDL
09-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Bruce, I did that very thing a couple of weeks ago with my .300 Savage. I had a lot of try rounds made up that didn't pan out, so I took them to the range to recover the brass and found the mixture shot pretty well. Wasn't it Gen. Marshall that concluded that a soldier with poor skills with a rifle was as apt to hit an enemy as an expert marksman? Maybe the same thing exists with our mediocre rounds. ;-) -JDL

leftiye
09-06-2007, 03:10 PM
JDL- Re the gen's comment -it only works that way if they both have their eyes closed.

1Shirt
09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Anybody that hasn't done the blow off a bunch of ammo thing has missed one of the real joys of being a gun owner!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Single Shot
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
And to think I just sat here packing into 40MM GI ammo cans:

45 ACP, 9mm Luger, 45 Colt, 223 Remington, 243 Winchester, and 12 gauge.

Then I turn on the computer and see this post.

Looks like we are all heading to the range after the heat wave. :Fire:

DanM
09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
My friends, in this thread lies the answer to the proverbial question, "Do we reload to shoot, or do we shoot to reload?"

Rooster
09-09-2007, 06:55 PM
The answer is either yes or 42!