longhorn
09-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Model 34 is the J-frame Kit Gun in .22

joatmon
09-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks soo much! Aaron

floodgate
09-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I believe ALL the S&W's with a two-digit model number beginning with "3" were I-frame revolvers: 6-shot .22's and .32's and 5-shot .38's (the latter for the .38 S&W cartridge). When the Chief's Special was brought out, the frame was lengthened slightly to accomodate the .38 Spl., and the cylinder extended to almost completely fill the frame "window"; it was called the "J" frame, and eventually the .22's and .32's were also built on the longer frames.

floodgate

EMC45
09-06-2007, 08:56 AM
There were also I frame 38s that were 38 Spec. and not just the S&W chambering.

NVcurmudgeon
09-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Aaron, if you are considering a S&W .22 LR revolver, be warned that the Kit Gun is addictive, but not top-notch for bullseye shooting. For that you need to step up to the K-22. So say several of my friends and I. None of us are letting go of our Model 34s right now!

KCSO
09-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Whoa up there NV!
So happens I have had a chance to shoot a Beakhardt J frame 22 target pistol and that is ONE good shooting gun. Most shooters today want a heavier gun, but that old J frame will put them all in the 10 ring at 50 if you can hold it and it sure won a lot of medals for the owner. I wish I had one, but i have to make do with only a K22.

EMC45
09-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Had a Mod. 63 SS 4 in. 22LR. Got rid of like a dummy:( Fine little gun!

Poygan
09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
I've owned a K-22 since 1957 and have shot it enough to have the firing pin replaced. I also bought a 34-1 for my wife in the early 1990s. For general plinking, the 34-1 does as well for me as the K-22. Neither need look for a new home.

joatmon
09-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks all! Not real happy with this one yet, was a impulse purchase at Hillsville VA this past weekend and I spent too much on it. It's a 34-1 and I noticed after the 3 hour drive home that the front sight is a little loose. I can fix the ailments but I wish I had of passed, but I will play with this one for awhile to see if it can be a shooter. Aaron

9.3X62AL
09-07-2007, 10:08 AM
The newer-series Model 34's had issues with their front sights--misalignment, off-centered, looseness. S&W has a limited run of 5" barrelled/stainless J-frame 22's currently, and I'm doing my best to resist a purchase of one. The Kit Guns are such good little revolvers otherwise--I just can't shoot the things worth a hoot. Same story with just about all of the I- and J-frames, though.

Bret4207
09-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Have a 22 Kit Gun. Thats a no sell ever type. Wish I could find a 22 mag Kit Gun, cheap of course....

dubber123
09-09-2007, 10:12 PM
The J-frames can be hard to shoot, but boy some of them really can! I have 2 Mod. 34's, and the first one I got fired a 6 shot 100YD. group that measures 3-1/8". with Federal target ammo. I followed it up with a 4" group, so I don't think it was a fluke. Out of a pistol rest, 2" would not surprise me. One of the most amazing revolvers I have seen. There is a huge difference between cheap bulk pack ammo and the good stuff. I shoot mostly the cheap stuff, but just for plinking.

MtGun44
09-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I think my .32-.22 Beakhart type is on the I-frame, not the J-frame,
it is a noticably smaller frame, and quite accurate, too.

Bill

Char-Gar
09-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Floodgate et al... There were no "I" frames with model numbers. The "I" frame was the older small frame. While similiar to the "J" frames that replaced the "I" there were differences.

Smith and Wesson went to Model numbers instead of Model names in 1957 and the "I" frames were long gone by that time.

Up until 1957 or so, Smith had no master drawings of their pistols. They had a master pistol in their vault. If a tech type needed a dimension, they went to the vault and took it direct from the master pistol. This changed and master drawings were produced. The first was the Military and Police that was renamed the Model 10 (1957) and the rest is history.

The I frame had a leaf mainspring. There was for a short time an Improved I frame with a coil spring, but it was quickly replaced with the J frame which has always had a coil mainspring.

The transition to the "J" frame took place with the "Chiefs Special". This took place in 1952 or 53 in several stages. In 1957 the Chiefs Special was renamed the Model 36.

As a side note.. The older square butt J frames are much easier to shoot than the round butt which has come to be standard. The small extra difference between the backstrap and the trigger offered by the square butt makes a world of difference on the ability to shoot these little buggers well.

9.3X62AL
09-24-2007, 09:29 AM
As a side note.. The older square butt J frames are much easier to shoot than the round butt which has come to be standard. The small extra difference between the backstrap and the trigger offered by the square butt makes a world of difference on the ability to shoot these little buggers well.

That prompted a recollection, Charles.......I once had a Model 31 x 3" that was a fine little trail gun, and shot VERY well with loads it liked.

There was a Beakhardt Model (22 LR) revo in a Riverside shop not long ago, asking price was $1200 and the consignor wouldn't budge a penny. If its finish were better, I might have taken that inside fastball on the shoulder for the team. I leaned back--took Ball 4--and walked.

Char-Gar
09-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I would not have a RB J frame in the house. Over the years I have had many of them, but they are so darn hard to shoot compared to the SB J frames. I have both 2" and 3" Model 36s (Chief Specials) but they both have SB frames. I also have a stainless steel Kit Gun (I forget the model number) with a square butt. The little SB 4" Kit Gun is fully accuracy as a good K-22. Being lighter, it requires more attention to get it to shoot to it's full potential.

Now the Colt "D" frames (Dick Special) and the like are a dreams to shoot. These little popper shoot just like a service revolver. I have a 3" Detective Special that meets the true definition of "wonderful".

If anybody doesn't have a good Colt Dick Special, run and do not walk to the nearest place where you can acquire such a thing. The prices are starting to rise and one day, they will be dear indeed.

floodgate
09-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Chargar:

"There were no "I" frames with model numbers."

Actually, I DID know that, having had a couple of "I" frames; I just used the "3X" number because people are more familiar with that designation.

Someone mentioned the .22 Bekeart model on the .32 frame; these were originally ordered by the Phil B. Bekeart Co. of Sam Francisco in the early 1900s (I have had a couple of early Ideal Handbooks stamped with that name "With the Compliments of:..."), and they were of course made on the small frame; they proved quite popular, being a "real" gun unlike the M-frame Ladysmiths. I don't at this point recall whether the .22/.32 survived long enough to get a number designation; but I think it did.

S&W had an internal factory code in the '50's; the .44 Magnum was an "NTM-.44":
N-frame, T-target sights, M-Magnum heat-treat, and .44 caliber; this shows up on their dealer / gunsmith parts lists of the period.

If anyone thinks the S&W small frames are confusing, try the Colt ones!

floodgate

MtGun44
09-30-2007, 01:21 PM
So I guess that means my .22/.32 6" barrel target model
(not a real Beakhardt because it wasn't shipped to him,
but otherwise identical) was a good deal a couple months
ago for $400? :-D

I had absolutely no idea what it was at the time other
than a really tiny, cute S&W .22 in nice condition.

Love the round brass front sight insert, too. The
"big" pistol on top is a M17 .22, which is on the K-frame.

Oh, and it has shot a few 5/8" 6 shot groups at 25 yds
when I can get MY stuff together and point it properly.

Bill

Char-Gar
09-30-2007, 04:40 PM
You have one very fine little pistol. I am not up on the value of such things, but my "gut" tells me you got a very good deal. Enjoy!

MtGun44
10-03-2007, 01:22 AM
I really don't know wht they are worth either. I hear things
are worth a lot, and then it doesn't have the blued dohickey
instead of the nickeled whatsit, and it isn't worth a thing.

In any case it is a beautiful old S&W .22 that shoots great for
a reasonable price. Much beyond that, I really don't care.

Thanks for the compliment, I was plain old lucky finding it
and getting it for what seems like a fair price. If somebody
told me it was worth $3000, I'd still just shoot it when I'm
in the mood and take good care of it. Guns are for shooting,
period, and all should be taken proper care of.

Bill

Dale53
10-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Mtgun44;
That is one special little .32 (just LOVE those little pistols)!! You did GOOD!!:drinks:

Dale53