SlippShodd
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Watching Lonesome Dove, are we?

DeanWinchester
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Jake Spoon is a dumb fork.

shooter93
04-25-2013, 05:48 PM
With jake....any wind can blow him. He likes to joke and doesn't like to work.....I have those same failings myself... Agustus

41 mag fan
04-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Jake Spoon...whose that?
Is he married to Jackie Fork and they have a child named Jack Knife??? [smilie=1:

PS Paul
04-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Remember this- spooning leads to forking! Abstinence is key.

chsparkman
04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
That was the greatest Western ever made, in my opinion. Duvall as Gus McCrae was a dead ringer for my late grandpa.

Valley Forge
04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Robert Duvall was never better. I loved Lonesome Dove.

R.M.
04-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Gus was my man. It just wasn't right that he got killed off. Jake got what he deserved, lazy SOB.

wallenba
04-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Was he the man burner?

wch
04-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Was he the man burner?

Naw, the man burner was Blue Duck.

Doc_Stihl
04-26-2013, 06:52 AM
The man burner was one of the fellas that Jake took up with to rob a bank.
"I hate sod busters...." was his line.

L Ross
04-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Was he the man burner?

While indeed there was a dead sodbuster burned by the Suggs brothers that Jake took up with I think you are thinking of the "man burner" in another of McMurtry's novels.
I enjoy McMurtry's writing and in particular his insight into people, their strengths and weaknesses. Their thoughts, doubts, and foibles. Most of us with a few years behind us realize how life often takes turns and twists we wish it didn't. McMurtry portrays life's trials and tribulations as well as any author I've yet read.

Duke

wallenba
04-26-2013, 02:03 PM
While indeed there was a dead sodbuster burned by the Suggs brothers that Jake took up with I think you are thinking of the "man burner" in another of McMurtry's novels.

Duke

I was thinking of the robber Jake took up with in Lonesome Dove. I do recall that there was also a man burner in 'Dead Man's Walk'. Truly evil character that one. That guy also was a dog killer.
Duke[/QUOTE]

WILCO
04-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Heavy price paid for 12 horses and chasing buffalos.

WILCO
04-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Watching Lonesome Dove, are we?

Yep. I needed to watch and listen to some of my favorite characters.

Question: What does Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit mean from the movie Lonesome Dove?

Answer: The Latin phrase that appears on the Hat Creek Cattle Company sign in "Lonesome Dove" is a garbled corruption, and there's no direct translation. It derives from the scholia to Juvenal 2.81 which cites the proverb "uva uvam videndo varia fit" This means something like "a grape changes color [i.e., ripens] when it sees [another] grape"

Novelist Larry McMurtry probably intentionally misused the Latin, perhaps to make a point about Augustus McCrae's tenuous understanding of the language.

From there, any number of interpretations have arisen to explain why McMurtry chose to communicate that particular idea. Probably the soundest theory is that the phrase serves as a metaphor for the group's journey, as many of the story's characters go through a process of personal maturation and development. Much like grapes ripen in the presence of others.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Uva_Uvam_Vivendo_Varia_Fit_mean_from_the _movie_Lonesome_Dove

Bulldogger
04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for that Wilco, I had always wondered.
Bulldogger

shooter93
04-26-2013, 05:51 PM
The outlaws Jake took up with were all hanged and buried except for one. He was left hanging with a note pinned to him that read... horsetheef (mis-spelled like that)and man burner. He shot two sod busters for a watch, then hung them , then burned them.

TXGunNut
04-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm with Gus, I hated to see Jake hanged.

wallenba
04-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Yep. I needed to watch and listen to some of my favorite characters.

Question: What does Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit mean from the movie Lonesome Dove?

Answer: The Latin phrase that appears on the Hat Creek Cattle Company sign in "Lonesome Dove" is a garbled corruption, and there's no direct translation. It derives from the scholia to Juvenal 2.81 which cites the proverb "uva uvam videndo varia fit" This means something like "a grape changes color [i.e., ripens] when it sees [another] grape"

Novelist Larry McMurtry probably intentionally misused the Latin, perhaps to make a point about Augustus McCrae's tenuous understanding of the language.

From there, any number of interpretations have arisen to explain why McMurtry chose to communicate that particular idea. Probably the soundest theory is that the phrase serves as a metaphor for the group's journey, as many of the story's characters go through a process of personal maturation and development. Much like grapes ripen in the presence of others.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_Uva_Uvam_Vivendo_Varia_Fit_mean_from_the _movie_Lonesome_Dove

It was funny though, 'WE don't rent pigs!', was his interpretation, if I recall.

Jammersix
04-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Isn't that the one where they stole a herd of cattle, then hung some horse thieves with no trial?

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
04-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Duvall/Augustus made that series, all others were in my opinion supporting characters of the saga. Gus was a Scot/Texan, Ranger, drinker, womanizer, gambler, a man of beliefs, cross him at your peril!
I know of a "shiner" who calls his rig "Gus" in of honor of Augustus McRae!

TXGunNut
04-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Lonesome Dove. Awesome book, awesome movie. Doesn't work out that way very often.

Taylor
04-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Had to be Texan's,lowest form of white man their is.....nope,wrong movie.I did like his answer to why he didn't rent pigs,how true!

MtGun44
04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
"I was just trying to get thru the territory without getting scalped, Gus"

WILCO
03-10-2015, 09:04 AM
http://www.lsparts.com/Artists/Photos/Photos/image03168.jpg

SlippShodd
03-10-2015, 10:31 AM
"You don't get the point, do you Pea? I mean chase 'em, because before long, there won't be any buffalo left *to* chase."

Fergie
03-10-2015, 04:49 PM
No matter what movie I see him in, Robert Duvall reminds me of my late father, every time.

Particularly though, in Lonesome Dove. All through my childhood, we did western reenactments and shows all over the south west, so the Augustus McCrae persona is that much more significant to me.

I also enjoyed Duvall as Bluebonnet Spearman....great lines from that movie.

Pepe Ray
03-11-2015, 12:05 AM
Do any of you "fans" remember Duvall wiping out the competition in the TV series (and here I falter, the title escapes me). Many years
before Gladiators. This was in the early '70's. Anyhow he was a great natural athlete.
Pepe Ray

WILCO
09-16-2016, 11:52 AM
I still don't like Jake Spoon......

Boaz
09-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Met Larry once at a round up with several different ranches involved . Knew and worked with his father and brother . Worked on the slash L ranch and the Mc Murrays adjoined it near the Little Wichita River in Archer county TX .

GOPHER SLAYER
09-16-2016, 07:36 PM
My wife and I went to Archer, Texas several years ago and it would be difficult to find a more depressing place. Larry spent a lot of time in the library when he was a boy and he loves books. When a business would close in Archer he would buy the building and fill it with books. There is a large staff of women setting at computers taking orders from around the world. I got to go in in one book store and my wife had to drag me out. She said, no mas, no mas. McMurtry got the idea for the book Lonesome Dove from the exploits of Charles Goodnight and Ralph Loving and the cattle drives they made out of Texas. Ralph was hit in the arm by a Comanche arrowhead and died three days later. He wrote other stories that became great movies.

Boaz
09-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Yea , Archer City had it's moment of fame in the early 70's from the ... Last Picture Show movie . It was the movie set to make it . I was in high school , a senior . Some I rodeo'ed with were extras and went to Hollywood as stunt men and bit roles .

swamp
09-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Another of my favorite Duvall roles was in Second Hand Lions. Great story.
swamp

Thumbcocker
09-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Blue Duck's flying didn't work out so well.

EDK
09-17-2016, 12:40 PM
"I always wanted to shoot an educated man" was another quote.

onceabull
09-18-2016, 02:48 PM
"I've seen your father bury many a man,but I've never seen him carve a sign before..Let's go see what he wrote" ..A.McCrae...

WILCO
09-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Lonesome Dove - Don't Underestimate Gus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7EivcfYOZI

Blackwater
09-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Duval is probably our best actor extant, and certainly is at the very least one of the best. His role as Gus was, IMO, his greatest effort ever. Had anyone else played Gus, or anyone other than Tommy Lee Jones played Woodrow, I don't believe the film would have the following it has. I'm one of those followers, and when it's on, I forget watching anything else. Many great life lessons in it, if we'll just discern and learn from them. It's always edifying, and they remind me so much of some of the folks I was raised among, and always wanted and strove to be like when I grew up. Certainly, none were very PC! The way Gus treated the prostitute, played by Dianne Lane, with respect, was very touching. He never held himself above anyone else, except those he hung or shot, and that wasn't hubris in any way - just simple acknowledgement of reality. And he was a philosopher, even if it wasn't always university grade. He simply went with what he saw in his life, and worked it all out through experience. Quite different from the process most "moderns" use these days. QUITE different!

Isaac
09-22-2016, 07:49 AM
"Yur that sheriff from Arkansas that was looking for Jake Spoon."
"Well that was a long time ago. Don't recon I'm looking for him any more."
"That's good, 'cause he fell in with a bad bunch and we hung 'im."