PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to clean off BAC?

ReAX222
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I just loaded my first 130 cast boolits, and cleaning the little bit of excess lube off is a bit of a pain. I plan on loading the 1100 prep'd cases soon and hope someone has an easy trick to cleaning lube off.

I have been scraping the excess off the bottom before loading, and then using a microfiber cloth to get them a little better. I am not looking for perfect, but I don't have running water where I shoot.

NVcurmudgeon
09-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I drag rifle boolits over a shop towel lying on my leg when seating them. Pistol boolits, mostly loaded on a progressive, are given about the same treatment. In view of the volume of pistol ammuntion being loaded, they have their bases wiped clean as they are sized and lubed. Lubed boolits are then placed in trays before loading so as not to slow down the progressive. I may not be the most meticulous base cleaner, but it works for me with NRA Alox or Felix lube. I load pistol ammo in lots of 500 or more, and sometimes it takes a few months to use it up. No misfire troubles, so it must be working.

Blacktail 8541
09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I do the same as NVcurmudgeon, wipe the bases on a towel as I get ready to seat them. I store them in metal ammo cans for extended lengths of time and have not experienced any misfires.

ReAX222
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I am not overtly concerned with the bases, scraping the bulk of it off should do for my plinking rounds. I am just trying to most of it out of my magazines and boxes and off my hands at the range. I was hoping for an easy trick like a little WD40 or gasoline on the rag or tumbling in used dryer sheets.

dromia
09-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Where is the lube coming from on the boolit to get everything covered in the stuff?

Are all the filled lube grooves within the case when its seated?

Are you getting lube build up around the case mouth when you seat the boolit? If so then you need to flare/expand the case mouth more.

Ricochet
09-07-2007, 09:23 AM
What's BAC? That Brown Alox Crud?

dromia
09-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Its one of Glen Larsen's White Label lubes a softer no heat needed version of his Carnauba Red.

A rather good lube I must confess.

scrapcan
09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
How are you lubing yoru bullets? This may help to answer your question. As aluded to above, if you have excess amounts of lube outside of the lube grooves you may want to modify how you are lubing.

I have used the blue shp rags that you can buy on a roll like paper towels and they seem to clean lube off pretty well after loading on the progressive press.

Shiloh
09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
What's BAC? That Brown Alox Crud?

Beeswax, Alox, Carnauba.
Flows through lubersizers without a heater

I like this lube.

Shiloh :castmine:

Ricochet
09-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks!

ReAX222
09-07-2007, 09:29 PM
It something to do with when I turn the handle on the LAM and how much lube is between the bullet and the plunger. I did a couple hundred rounds last night and I got it much better, almost no lube outside of the grooves.

I got to shoot a couple of them today. With 6 grains of unique the 180 gr .40 bullets are nice. They were from the first attempt at lubing and were a bit sticky when loading.