PDA

View Full Version : Zink gas checks?

DeanoBeanCounter
09-05-2007, 03:27 PM
:-D I don't know if this has been asked before. But this seems like the right place to ask. Someplace I read that the cowboys long ago put zink washers on the base of their boolets as a gas checks. If it works that's something that can be done with all those zink WWs and contaminated lead. Anybody know of this? Any coments? :Fire:
Deano

Waldog
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Dave Corbin of Corbin Bullet Swage Company sells a punch that cuts the "washers" you are refering to. However, they are swagged on to the base of lead bullets through use of one of his bullet swaging dies. I have never talked to anyone that has experience with this method. Might be worth looking into tough.

357maximum
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
As a man who shoots into his own boolit traps to recycle his lead, and do his part to keep the earth green:-D , zinc washers would not be allowed here.

floodgate
09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Deano, Waldo:

Search here for "Harvey" and "Zinc Washer" for discussion of these bullets. Jim Harvey of Lakeville Arms in CT promoted these, in both cast and swaged form, starting in the early 1950's; the zinc was supposed to leave a deposit in the bore that prevented leading, but results were mixed. But the idea goes back at least as far as the Civil War, where the "Williams" bullets were packed one to a packet of standard Minie' ball paper cartridges; they had a cupped zinc washer rivetted to the base that flattened and spread out to scrape the bore under the presssure exerted by the black powder. Moulds for these in .38/.357, .44 and .45 turn up quite often, made by Lyman, Hensley and Gibbs, and perhaps other makers - I have bought several from other members here, being something of a "squirrel" for nut-ball moulds. There's a writeup on these by Harvey on pp. 90-91 of the 1958 First Edition Lyman "Handbook of Cast Bullets". I have been told that C-H/4D can supply the washers for these, for use in the moulds; I've gotta check with them on this, and will post results.

floodgate

imashooter2
09-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Range scrap is the only free lead I can get... Want to guess my opinion of zinc gas checks?

Leverluver
09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
The metal depostion process is akin to Sherardising which is a zinc deposition process applied onto iron or steel surfaces. I have seen barrels that have fired thousands of zinc based bullets and the barrels visually appeared like they were chrome plated. The deposition has a very silvery and shiny look to it. one handgun would not lead, even with pure lead bullets at 900fps. Be real sure that this is what you really want as the zinc will most definitely be deposited in the barrel. If you think moly is a bear to get out, you ain't seen nothing.

mag_01
09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Anyone have a need for Zinc --- I have 3 or 4 bars of it --- Its marked tin but is hard as hell -- Is hard to melt --- and sure makes the mix look bad ?:coffee: --- Mag

If your not pulling the trigger your not living --- And if you are hitting something then your either good or lucky :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Dye
09-06-2007, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=mag_01;220255]Anyone have a need for Zinc --- I have 3 or 4 bars of it --- Its marked tin but is hard as hell -- Is hard to melt --- and sure makes the mix look bad ?:coffee: --- Mag

mag_01
PM me a price and a adress and I will get MO. in the mail
Be carefull Dye

arkypete
09-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Corbin's system is called basegard/ It's a copper disc that gets swaged on to the base of the bullet. Works rather well.
Jim

mag_01
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
:coffee: --- Dye why do you say to be careful ? I don't know if there Zinc but are hard to melt and make the mix look bad color wise and somewhat clumpy --- I have 3 blocks they measure 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 by 1 1/4 inches --- any Idea what it would cost to ship and what its worth and may I ask what you will be using it for--- It was marked Tin but I doubt it . PM me with info if interested Mag_01

I think they have flat rate boxes ? --- :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Dye
09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
:coffee: --- Dye why do you say to be careful ? I don't know if there Zinc but are hard to melt and make the mix look bad color wise and somewhat clumpy --- I have 3 blocks they measure 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 by 1 1/4 inches --- any Idea what it would cost to ship and what its worth and may I ask what you will be using it for--- It was marked Tin but I doubt it . PM me with info if interested Mag_01

I think they have flat rate boxes ? --- :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

mag-01
Be carefull
Have you ever had a drop of sweat drop into a dutch oven when you were stirring the alloy, had a empty firearm discharge when it had no cartridges in it ,have a motorcycle ride you down the highway and ect . That is why I SAY BE CAREFUL.
The zinc I have been trying to get a base on what zinc does in our casting alloys.

Be carefull Dye

mag_01
09-10-2007, 11:51 PM
:coffee: Right on DYE now I understand and yes I have had the unloaded gun go off and water splatter in the hot mix of lead and motorcycles oh yes like the time I looked down at the speedometer and it said 145 mi/hr (not where you want to be). I will PM you on that zinc. sounds like you only need a small amount. --- Mag_01