PDA

View Full Version : Ebay 4-Cavity 311291 and 452374

BruceB
08-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I sure wish folks wouldn't put together these "package deals" for moulds or bullet-sizing dies on Ebay. One gent has SIX moulds for sale, which forces buyers to bid on the whole megillah if they want just ONE of the items for sale.

I was fortunate in this last buy, because although I already have a 4-cavity 452374, it's a very desireable design and I sold it to one my best pals here within minutes of the closing of the auction.

The 4-cav 311291 was the one I REALLY wanted. It's an Ideal-made mould, and in excellent shape. (The 374 appears utterly un-used, just gummy with preservative, and it's marked "Lyman".) Someone tried to snipe me with a few seconds remaining, putting in a fifty-dollar "bump". He was a serious caster, too! Fortunately, my worst-case-scenario bid was high enough that it succeeded.

Using full-mould samples of four straight-wheelweight bullets each time (i.e.: one from each cavity), the bullets average 175 grains+/- 0.5 grains. The noses run .300-.301", and the sides are parallel...not always the case. Bands are .3105-.3115", so although these won't see much use in my .303s, they should be OK in most of my .30-calibers.

Hmmm...imagine, it was just a couple years back, I think, when I was pontificating here on the CB Board about how casting RIFLE bullets, as opposed to those unwashed, callow HANDGUN bullets, was a Zen-type exercise worthy of much thought and consideration, with strange incantations and spells uttered for each bullet in turn. The perfect place and time for a nice, slow one-cavity mould, yep. I would never contemplate (I said) the purchase of a soul-less 4-cavity mass-production mould for RIFLE bullets, nope, uh-uh, not ME, grasshopper!

HAH! Crank 'em out, devil take the hindmost! I'm here to SHOOT!

Boolits, boolits, more boolits, MORE boolits, faster, faster....! I now have 4-cavs for at least four rifle bullet designs.

I'm sick, but I'm enjoying it. Just 'cuz I'm crazy don't mean I'm stoopid.

fatnhappy
08-10-2005, 01:47 AM
I got rooked by a sniper to the tune of $.25 on a NIB DC 311291 last night. I absolutely will not pay retail for anything off e-bone. I saw 3 auctions last week where morons payed $15 over retail for a book that was still in print. The worst part is these idiots (assuming it's inadvertant) put used moulds out of the reach of new casters, a mortal sin IMHO. I just talked to a guy at work tonight that expressed interest in casting (after he saw my 434250) but he's been reluctant to try it because of the cost. You'd better believe I'm going to subsidize him long enough to bring him to the dark side, but it would be nice for once if I could direct a newbie to a source of reasonably priced, cared for moulds.

OK, I'm off the soapbox. :-|

Buckshot
08-10-2005, 02:01 AM
...........I've seen that happen too, for a 311284 mould. Now mabe if it was an old Ideal 311284 in excellent condition I might go a few bucks more due to the fact that they had a tendancy to run large. But I sure wouldn't go more then $5 or so more then current retail.

99% of my E-bay messing around is for machine tools and accessories and I have a Rutland tool and Enco catalog right there on the desk.

.............Buckshot