PDA

View Full Version : Old friend drove to Canada

nelsonted1
09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Dad called yesterday. He said they'd been to an farm auction Saturday (south of Minneapolis) with some of his friends. One of them left the auction acting kind of odd. The next day the family got a call from the Canadian border people. THey said they'd detained their father when he tried to cross into Canada. He drove 650 to 700 miles after leaving the auction winding up in Canada. The Mounties told the family they'd better come up and get him. They didn't know if he'd eaten during his drive but they knew his pickup couldn't have made it without at least one stop for gas so he stopped somewhere during the trip. Dad didn't know what kind of shape he was in.

Dad was afraid he'd had a stroke maybe during the auction and the guys didn't take the time to notice. He's 85 or so. Dad thought it was an outstanding story but as he was telling it I could clearly hear in his voice the thought "Is this what is in my future?" Dad just turned 80. Getting old really sucks.

TED

Scrounger
09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Roger that. Dying is about the best thing you got to look forward to... I worry about getting disabled or going funny in the head a lot.

versifier
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Hell, I'm already disabled, and I've been funny in the head ever since college in the 70's.[smilie=1: But, I'm not dead yet..... :mrgreen: The only thing that really sucks about getting old is not being able anymore to hit on (successfully anyway) the cuties in their 20's. But I can still buy 'em drinks and remember. :drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Hell, I'm already disabled, and I've been funny in the head ever since college in the 70's.[smilie=1: But, I'm not dead yet..... :mrgreen: The only thing that really sucks about getting old is not being able anymore to hit on (successfully anyway) the cuties in their 20's. But I can still buy 'em drinks and remember. :drinks:

Versifier, if you are disabled, luckily it left your mind and sense of humor untouched! One thing to appreciate as you get older is that there is a much larger pool of cuties to appreciate as your horizons broaden. Today at the hardware store a cutie of about 1/4 my age waited on me, and was complaining about hiccups. I asked if she wanted me to scare her. She then told me that the hiccups were deep in her chest and made her feel like her chest was scrunching up, then showed me how. It seemed like a very nice chest to me, and her gyrations were as unnerving as anything I remember seeing a fully clothed young lady do. At the other end of the scale, many in the grandmother age group look pretty good too.

Scrounger
09-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Versifier, if you are disabled, luckily it left your mind and sense of humor untouched! One thing to appreciate as you get older is that there is a much larger pool of cuties to appreciate as your horizons broaden. Today at the hardware store a cutie of about 1/4 my age waited on me, and was complaining about hiccups. I asked if she wanted me to scare her. She then told me that the hiccups were deep in her chest and made her feel like her chest was scrunching up, then showed me how. It seemed like a very nice chest to me, and her gyrations were as unnerving as anything I remember seeing a fully clothed young lady do. At the other end of the scale, many in the grandmother age group look pretty good too.

Time to change your glasses.

MT Gianni
09-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Reminds me of the Ed Zern story. he was headed to Maine for a bear hunt when he saw the sigh that said "Bear Left for Canada". He turned around and went home. Gianni

TCLouis
09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
beats the hell out of the alternative!