PDA

View Full Version : Keeping deer out of the flowers.

Gussy
09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I have found a way to keep the deer out of a limited area. (not off of fenders however)

I used an old motion detector light. I have a light on one side and screwed in a plug adapter on the other. I plugged in a radio/casset player with the volume up fairly loud. When they set it off, it's instant, close, noise and they move out tails up. For better effect, you can put extension speakers right in the flowers and put a deer distress tape or better yet a coyote tape.

This really works!!! My buddy has a cougar tape that I'm going to get for a trial run. I know when a cat is around my place as the deer are gone for a day or two.
Gus

Scrounger
09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Have you considered the effect that will have on your dog(s)?

Ricochet
09-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Won't have to worry about 'em getting constipated.

Johnch
09-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Won't have to worry about 'em getting constipated.

LOL a deer doing the $hit and get

Deer can get used to anything
So don't expect it to work forever

At the club where I shoot trap at night
We see deer all the time just outside the impact area feeding
It seems when we turn on the lights they move in to feed

During the day they bed down behind the 300 yard berm in a low area
Only time I have seen then get up and move is when someone go's down range and bumps them

Just think
A bunch of guys sighting in their deer rifles , watching the deer totaly ignore them
And the guys knowing they can't even think about pokeing one of the club deer [smilie=b: [smilie=b:

John

Gussy
09-05-2007, 02:34 PM
My deer are not that tame. Vary the sound from Rush to heavy metal and throw in a coyote tape now and then.

I did have a legal buck walk out in my old range and feed while we were sighting in. Only the young and dumb do that. Usually they never get old.

Ricochet
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I was replying to the question about the effect on the dogs, when they heard a cougar call go off in the bushes as they walked around. [smilie=1:

Boz330
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
When I was in Tanker training at Ft Knox we had a big buck walk across the moving target machine gun range. Suddenly none of the turrets were tracking the target across the range. The buck walked all the way across the range just beyond tracer burn out, (1100 meters IIRC), nary a nick.

Bob

DeanoBeanCounter
09-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, the one thing they will never get used to is an electric fence. Put a combination of light, sound, and zap. You can't lose. Just be sure that everything is appropriate the area. :twisted:
Deano

Gussy
09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I was replying to the question about the effect on the dogs, when they heard a cougar call go off in the bushes as they walked around. [smilie=1:

I bet he'd stop peeing on them!!!

Actually, that's a good idea too!!!!
Gus

MT Gianni
09-05-2007, 07:07 PM
At my previous range there was a standard no shoot order when ever the bighorn sheep were on the range. They did not move for just anything either, you need a lot of noise and hand motions. Gianni

waksupi
09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I hang Irish Spring soap from my apple tree. Keeps the deer away. Good use for it, as I would never put that stinky stuff on my body!

trickyasafox
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
LOL my range is a wildlife conservation area and we had to call several cease fires this summer during high-power for deer feeding off of the target stands :)

I don't mind, my slow fire scores aren't very good anyway ;)