PDA

View Full Version : 80% lowers on rockethub

xacex
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
What are your thoughts on these buy in's? It seems rockethub is legit, and there has not been any scams as far as I can tell in the past. there are 3 or 4 going right now for AR15 80% lowers, and one with AR10 lowers, and a 1911 lower.

http://www.rockethub.com/22106
http://www.rockethub.com/projects/24384-80-lower-receiver-ar15-ar10-rudius-1911
http://www.rockethub.com/projects/24272-support-ar15-80-lower

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/23781-support-the-manufacture-and-sales-of-ar-lowers

I went ahead and funded all of them to see who delivers. The cost wasn't much so if it is not legit I will be out of burgers for lunch for a week. Have to pack PB and J if worst comes to worst.

arjacobson
04-24-2013, 05:12 PM
very good prices!

xacex
04-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Yup, it has always struck me odd that I could( pre Lanza) buy a 7075 T6 lower already done for 65$, but a 80% cost 125$. I know the material cost is something like 10 or 15?, plus the cost of the tooling, and man hours, so lets add another 10$ per. It still does not add up to 125$ for a 80%? So you have 25$ into it before you make a profit, most retail mark up is 400%, but with less milling done it would seem we would get a break.
How many could a small outfit mill in a 8 hour day? 16-20 units?

Love Life
04-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I had to fund Coalbank Metal Works.

From their page:
Please note: For Government Agencies, wishing to make a purchase, these parts are intended for citizens only and are not licensed for government use. If you wish to purchase one for government use, please use our special “government” pricing. Government models are currently only available in hot pink and will come packed in shredded copies of the second amendment
-----------------

But wait!!! There is more!!

Q: Why is the government price different?
A: It is identical to other lowers. However the $300 price tag Government Agencies price allows us the ability to make a large donation of your behalf to the NRA. It also cover the cost of giving it a custom HOT PINK paint coating. Finally it is packed in shredded pieces of the 2nd amendment. 90 percent of your purchase price will donated NRA

Q: Can government purchase in bulk?
A: Yes, but the price remains the same per piece

Q: Can government purchase in a color other than pink
A: No

Q: I don't think its fair that the government has to pay a higher price
A: The government pays $500 for a toilet seat. You can afford $300 for a lower receiver with a custom paint job.

shooterg
04-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Me too. Had to sign up for the Coalbank after reading that.

shooterg
04-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Whoa ! And I like that my silver bullet post supports the 2nd Amendment !

xacex
04-24-2013, 08:34 PM
I am surprised no one is hitting up the one with AR10 receivers. Those things are spendy elsewhere, and these come with the jig to drill it out for 30$.

SeabeeMan
04-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Does anybody know what it takes to finish an 80% 1911? I like the all 3 with jigs idea through Pebblepeak, but does doing those rails require a mill? Everything on the AR's I can do with a strong drill press, which I have.

xacex
04-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Does anybody know what it takes to finish an 80% 1911? I like the all 3 with jigs idea through Pebblepeak, but does doing those rails require a mill? Everything on the AR's I can do with a strong drill press, which I have.

It looks like the rails are cut in the demo piece. I stayed away from that because it is an alloy 1911 lower. I don't know that I would trust aluminium rails with anything but a .22. Their AR10 lower looked like a fun project so I picked up one of those. I like the 6.5 Grendel, but a 260 Remington would be nice. Was there ever a 35 Whelen version of a 308 cartridge? Like a 35-308?

lylejb
04-25-2013, 02:47 AM
Was there ever a 35 Whelen version of a 308 cartridge? Like a 35-308

Yep, The 308 necked up to 35 is the 358 winchester. Never seen one in a AR platform, but it's been in bolt guns for many years.

boltons75
04-25-2013, 09:04 AM
I went ahead with pebble peak because of the jig included, for 45 bucks, and a couple from Sierra Nevada hoping that the jig will also work with these.

perotter
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Interesting on a couple of levels. Lately 80% finished have been hard to find. And these prices are good.

dbosman
04-25-2013, 01:22 PM
What is supposed to happen to the guns people make for them selves, and cant' sell, after they die?

boltons75
04-25-2013, 01:36 PM
What is supposed to happen to the guns people make for them selves, and cant' sell, after they die?

That's when you remember that your kid, or friend did the work..... Really, not sure though.

I'm just trying to figure out if doing the 1911 build would be legal in Michigan without a S.N. on it.

xacex
04-25-2013, 10:00 PM
You can sell your rifle from one of these, but it has to be serialized, and you cant be making them to sell. If you have one and finish it with numbers, and you die your wife can them sell it or give it to a family member. The intent is that you are making the gun for yourself, and not doing it as a way to make money without a FFL licence. You cannot make one and sell it or give it away if there are no numbers on it. It is such a grey area with BATF with this that I would just consider it yours for life, and if you die your wife or children inherit it, but I would not sell a completed one just to be on the safe side.

Bzcraig
04-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I ordered the pebblepeak as well for the same reason. If this works out I will order another have one in 223 & 300aac then use my spikes receiver as a sacrifice if ever needed.

xacex
05-07-2013, 01:32 AM
If you put money on Coalbank I would pull it out. Until the funding project is over you can contact rockethub and pull your funds out. This guy has flaked big time, and has dropped his facebook and all contact. There are others that are more responsive to the people funding their projects, and I feel less likely to lose out on my product. One funding project that came up tonight has 10/22 80% receivers. I have done one of those for a pistol build and love it! There are pictures her on the forum. the 10/22 80% took me about an hour to complete with a drill press, and a jig.

boltons75
05-07-2013, 03:21 AM
One funding project that came up tonight has 10/22 80% receivers. I have done one of those for a pistol build and love it! There are pictures her on the forum. the 10/22 80% took me about an hour to complete with a drill press, and a jig.

Just went ahead and funded this one for the 10/22.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/25415-80-ruger-10-22-ar15-billet-lower-receivers-support-the-2nd-ammendment

bgoff_ak
05-07-2013, 04:37 AM
I would have to check again but I have 10 0% S15 lowers that are my fall project on my CNC... You do not need to have serial numbers on them unless you plan on making them NFA items ( or registering them ) it's my understanding that you can not transfer them. ( there is a lot of this and that on the transfer subject I wold suggest a BATF ruling... )

xacex
05-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Just went ahead and funded this one for the 10/22.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/25415-80-ruger-10-22-ar15-billet-lower-receivers-support-the-2nd-ammendment

I am going to have a hard time staying away from that buy in as well. My 10/22 rifle has not got out of the safe much since I built that pistol 2 years ago. It may just find itself stripped of its bolt and trigger pack...

km101
05-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Does finishing the AR receivers require a mill? Can it be finished by a "hobbyist" using a drill press? I can read a print, have mics. and calipers and dial gauges, etc. but I don't have, or have access to a mill. It does not say exactly what would be required to finish it. It just says "adjustments"! Is the area for the trigger/hammer group finished, or would that need to be milled? Any help appreciated! I don't want to wind up with a "conversation piece".

Thanks!

boltons75
05-07-2013, 01:27 PM
The trigger group pocket needs to be milled out, but there is one that comes with a drill press jig to do it, you will need to buy a couple of endmill bits to finish it off in your drill press, there are videos on YouTube.

boltons75
05-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I am going to have a hard time staying away from that buy in as well. My 10/22 rifle has not got out of the safe much since I built that pistol 2 years ago. It may just find itself stripped of its bolt and trigger pack...

So buy two, build a rifle and a charger pistol.....

Springfield
05-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Seems like a good deal to me, I live in California and I can't transfer any of my AR's when I die, at least not to anyone in California. Guess my nephew will get it , he lives elsewhere.

xacex
06-22-2013, 11:46 PM
So buy two, build a rifle and a charger pistol.....

I bought in for the 10/22 receiver. Looks like I will be building another pistol. Looks like I have a little time yet from the facebook posting before I need to have my bolt and trigger pack for this one. The rifle may be safe yet! I wish I could still get a hold of the original aluminium trigger packs. I bought one 10 years ago before they went to plastic, but used that in my razor build.

boltons75
06-22-2013, 11:48 PM
I bought in for the 10/22 receiver. Looks like I will be building another pistol. Looks like I have a little time yet from the facebook posting before I need to have my bolt and trigger pack for this one. The rifle may be safe yet! I wish I could still get a hold of the original aluminium trigger packs. I bought one 10 years ago before they went to plastic, but used that in my razor build.

Here you go,

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/RugerOEMtrigger.html

R.Ph. 380
06-22-2013, 11:55 PM
I got notification that all the lowers I had bought into had closed successfully. That's the last I've heard. When and from whom do you hear or check with to see if the actual lowers will be forthcoming? I bought into the AR10 80% lowers, the 1911's and the AR 15. Sure would like to hear something. All mine closed around the first of June. Here it is the 22nd. Guess I'll never see that investment again.

Bill

boltons75
06-23-2013, 12:26 AM
I got notification that all the lowers I had bought into had closed successfully. That's the last I've heard. When and from whom do you hear or check with to see if the actual lowers will be forthcoming? I bought into the AR10 80% lowers, the 1911's and the AR 15. Sure would like to hear something. All mine closed around the first of June. Here it is the 22nd. Guess I'll never see that investment again.

Bill

The one doing the ar10 1911 and ar15 just had the funds clear his account Friday. He's ordering his material next week. Look on the main page of his rocket hub page for updates.

xacex
06-23-2013, 01:54 AM
Here you go,

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/RugerOEMtrigger.html

Thanks! That's what I needed!

ErikO
06-23-2013, 02:44 AM

As long as they are built into full rifles/pistols and fired ONCE they are GTG. They are firearms at that point which were built for personal use. You would have to engrave them with a SN if you wanted to sell off a used manufactured (by private citizen).

An unfinished 80% can be handed off as it is not a firearm but just a hunk of aluminum.

I've been looking into this for a while now. ;)

Bzcraig
07-16-2013, 03:38 PM
I pulled my order from RocketHub. I could not get the guy from Pebble Peak to communicate with me at all. The original delivery date was suppose to be mid June it got moved back about two weeks which I was okay with. I did at that time start to make contact to get a new estimated delivery date. After contacting RocketHub (who has been very responsive) and Pebble Peak who has not responded at all, I asked for a refund. So for approximately one month I attempted contact with Pebble Peak (maybe 6 emails) with no response. To me that is an indication of their customer service and not good enough in my book.

boltons75
07-16-2013, 04:20 PM
I have also ordered from pebble peak, as well as the others. J was the first funder for precision arms, so they sent me out a sample to test for him.

http://m1211.photobucket.com/albums/sbolton36/AR%20Build?o=0

I have nothing but positive things to say about precision arms man. he has another campaign running, he has proven to me that he will deliver. He communicates very well, and won't send out a half arsed job, he had to change anodizers after the batch with my prototype went through. And he is eating the cost difference on his first campaign, though raised his second one 5 bucks to cover. Look into his, you won't regret. And as far as pebble peak, he had tons of orders and has said in the past week on the RH page that material is on its way.

AR223
10-08-2013, 05:27 PM
I just ordered some lowers from Combat Machine's rocket hub. They seem to be the best deal so far. I got free engraving with mine. http://www.rockethub.com/projects/31750-ar15-80-lower
There is a video showing a simulation milling their lowers here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81NDu9sP_LQ#sthash.27FcZ2P1.dpuf

Bossdj02
10-08-2013, 07:35 PM
anyone whos funded a project on rockthehub, have your received your lowers that your ordered? i keep hearing how great of a deal it is but i have not read of anyone actually receiving what they paid for.

boltons75
10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
anyone whos funded a project on rockthehub, have your received your lowers that your ordered? i keep hearing how great of a deal it is but i have not read of anyone actually receiving what they paid for.

Precision Arms is almost finished shipping campaign 1. Sierra Nevada Arms is just about to ship their first campaign. 2nd amendment arms had shipped.

The one that's looking like a huge scam is Pebble Peak, he has been one of the first, but he has yet to machine a single lower. In fact he picked 3 of us, I'm one, to test his cast jig, but instead of sending lowers that on his page he says he had 8 months of experience making 5 star lowers, he bought 3 and sent them to us.

Check out precision, I've finished two of his lowers, I have 4 10/22 receivers from him, and two more AR lowers on the way.

boltons75
10-08-2013, 10:46 PM

I'll post a pic of precisions lower, above, as a complete rifle tomorrow.

boltons75
10-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Nice paper weight huh?

ftut
10-11-2013, 08:46 PM
So how does this rockethub work? How do you know you're not getting taken for your money? How long does it normally take to completion?

williamwaco
10-11-2013, 09:00 PM
The page says the project is complete.

How would one go about buying one now?

boltons75
10-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Precision Arms has been listing new campaigns when one ends. Goto rocket hub and search 80% lower, precision arms is a good one, though his prices have gone up a bit. The first campaign he took a loss on, but now has worked out his issues and is delivering.

Precision Arms = great service

Sierra Nevada Arms = has shown progress, has been pumping out receivers, and should be shipping soon.

Look for these two names, and a open campaign.

There are many others, but who knows, they might end up being like Pebble Peak, who hasn't cut a single piece of aluminum yet.

sparky45
10-14-2013, 03:13 PM
How much and what kind of work is involved in finishing an AR Receiver?

boltons75
10-14-2013, 04:20 PM
How much and what kind of work is involved in finishing an AR Receiver?

Watch for a rifle build kit through Palmetto State Armoury, 4-600 on average. The price of the lower, I used my drill press and the x/y vise I bought years back from harbor freight. You'll need a jig, 50-175 depending on source, unless you find buddies to share that cost with. End mill bits, 3/8 & 1/4, and a decent set of drill bits.

My first one I did slowly and it took 4 days, second one took about 5 hours. If you have access to a mill, your time can be cut drastically. I have access to a nice Bridgeport, but it's on a college campus and they frown highly on firearms on campus.

If you have any basic mechanical skills, you can do it, oh and you'll also need a decent set of calipers.

sparky45
10-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll probably go in on one of the "funding" projects and see what happens.

xacex
03-07-2014, 02:55 PM
I just got USPS shipping confirmation from Sierra Nevada Arms. I gave up hope over a month ago, but it looks like he might pull it together. I funded his project the first week.

9w1911
03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
I have 6 on order 4 ar15 and 2 ar10 these are coming from Battle Born Tactical here in Reno and they are about to ship I guess. I think they have other fundings going on but I am not sure

xacex
03-07-2014, 03:06 PM
From what I gather Battle born is Sierra nevada, or use the same machine. Tried informing folks on rockethub of the connection, and got banned from the site. Not many people from the BB campaign are complaining like the SNA campaign.

Freightman
03-07-2014, 05:19 PM
hope you have better luck than I did funded Pebble peak over a year ago never received anything and they don't answer emails.

xacex
03-07-2014, 05:40 PM
hope you have better luck than I did funded Pebble peak over a year ago never received anything and they don't answer emails.

I asked for a refund after his little tantrum. I received a money order about a week later. Looks like he has turned his back on the group now, and is running with the money.
Got a lower from Precision that was perfect, and have heard nothing yet on my order with Feality arms.

9w1911
03-07-2014, 09:08 PM
I think he used to work or still works with Sierra and I know he owns his own CnC machine.

cwheel
03-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Reading this thread with interest, would be fun to find someone doing steel 1911 frames. Questions some posters have asked is what is it going to take to finish one of these ?? I've done 2 ea. AR15's and 4 1911's so far. Sure, you can do these with a drill press, some files, and a few drills. It is sure easier if you have a mill, much faster and better quality job. Some folks are really talented and can do these with minimal tools, be ready for lots of hand work, hours and hours. The AR's assemble well whatever frame you seam to get or make with very little adjustment with good mil spec parts. The 1911's are a different matter, lots of hand fitting of parts to get proper fit and function. I've got almost 10,000 rounds through my first pistol, alum frames seam to wear faster than steel, still a fine close quarter gun. First AR has more than 15,000 rounds through and still almost as tight as when built. Good luck, worth while project, but best having a mill, drill press works but shakes like a clothes dryer with a pair of tennis shoes in it. ( not rigid enough with end mills )
Chris

km101
03-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Looks like everything on there is funded now. Missed my chance. But I probably would have gotten one of the "no-shows" anyway! :)

xacex
03-07-2014, 11:56 PM
I did a 1911 build once. Granted I used a 100% 1911 receiver, and it was still a ton of work. Everything needed fitting. The 10/22 80% builds are fast. I can have one done on a drill press in less than an hour. BTW, the Sierra Nevada Arms buy was cheap. I would still be mad if I got nothing out of it, but it was 100$ for 4 billet 7075 T6 receivers. 25$ a piece shipped. I will post up a pic if it is not a box of rubber dog doodoo.

xacex
03-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Got the lowers from Sierra nevada Arms today.

First impression is they are milled ok, but look like they have been handled a bit rough around the shop. Nothing a sandblasting after milling won't fix. Front lug area was .506, to .5065 measured with some cheap digital calipers so +-.002 error would be in order. But I have to say that there has to be some slop there for ano, or even more so for coating which he is doing.If the space was .500 and you add coating you may not get the front lug in. Material around the front lug holes is thin. They measure .062 vs. .094 with the forged and ano'd SAA stripped lower sitting here. I really wish there was more meat on these because this looks like the only weak area of the lower. It looks as if the material was there, and it was milled thin for some reason because there is a slight step down from the top of the lower into the lugs. Billet 7075 T6 is supposed to be stronger than forged so it may not be necessary for the longevity of a billet lower. There is plenty of room for the upper to pivot in this area without removing that much material.All mags fit if not a little loose. The lowers fit in a standard jig without issue. Rear pocket for upper lug is milled, but slightly undersized to fit an upper on without beginning milling. I cant tell you if they are in fact 7075 T6. There is a simple test, but I forgot what it was or where I saw it. I should have some shavings to use for a test here in the next few days if I get some free time. I may teflon powder coat to add some thickness to the material in the front lug area, and the magwell just to make things a little tighter overall.

For 25$ I can't complain (now that I have something to show for my money). But, I would not pay 100$ for a 100% lower with the front lugs the way they are, and I would be hard pressed to pay 60$ for a 80% not knowing if the longevity is there with the material strength.
I will put up the pics I took once I get the pictures hosted somewhere.
Ordered: 4/22/13
Received: 3/10/14

OBIII
03-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Polymer 80 ( www.polymer80.com ) was one of the startups. I received my order from them and was happy with what I got. They are still in business, jigs 20.00, lowers 65.00 and up.

OB

ratitude
03-11-2014, 10:37 AM
I picked up a couple from HLF Manufacturing but have not assembled them yet. They appear to be very nice.

xacex
03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Promised some pics. Here they are.

xacex
03-14-2014, 01:30 PM
As you can see there is a problem with these being out of spec. Talked to the owner of SNA and he is sending out new ones. Apparently these are from the old cnc machine he was using, and they got mixed up in the batches from the new cnc machine.

trooperdan
03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
I've seen some recent stories about ATF raiding 80% lower mfgs and demanding to see their shipping lists. Don't know if they were making receivers that were less than 80 or if the California ATF is counting on a proposed law passing that would require serial numbers on home-built guns.

xacex
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I've seen some recent stories about ATF raiding 80% lower mfgs and demanding to see their shipping lists. Don't know if they were making receivers that were less than 80 or if the California ATF is counting on a proposed law passing that would require serial numbers on home-built guns.
http://www.guns.com/2014/03/13/ares-armor-halts-atf-raid-refuses-turn-customer-names-video/
That was the result of AA producing a polymer 80% lower that the atf though was completed as a 100% and then filled with polymer. That is not the case however. The plug is produced first and then the polymer is formed around it. And they have divots on the sides that are where you drill. That has already been determined to cross over the 80% line with the atf. AA has filed a restraining order to keep them away for the time being. I am sure there are no longer any records in that store.
Cal DOJ does not like these things, and have changed the law so you now have to register, and engrave a number on them.

dbosman
03-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Is/are polymer lowers significantly easier to drill and mill?
Any idea how they hold up after milling?

Thanks.

Polymer 80 ( www.polymer80.com ) was one of the startups. I received my order from them and was happy with what I got. They are still in business, jigs 20.00, lowers 65.00 and up.

OB

xacex
03-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Is/are polymer lowers significantly easier to drill and mill?
Any idea how they hold up after milling?

Thanks.

Yes, I have not done one, but I do own a New frontier polymer, and can tell you from just the material composition that it would be easier to mill/drill. The New Frontier poly lowers are strong, and I have no doubt they will hold up. I have used that lower for the 50 Beo a few times, and I like the weight. I do not know if these 80% are the same material as the NF ones. It is some kind of stranded polymer more like a cross of carbon fiber and a hard plastic so it has plasticity, and slight flexibility. I imaging if it were crushed it would crackle like fiberglass.

OBIII
03-15-2014, 08:01 PM
My drill press is on the fritz, so I haven't tried to drill one yet. With a jig and bits, it's supposed to be a no brainer. To my knowledge, polymer lowers are just as strong as aluminum or steel. They do recommend that you do not "dry fire" your lower once you install the lower parts kit, unless you have the stop cushioned. Would not be an issue with an upper on it. Obviously, though, it's plastic, so keep away from strong solvents, hammers, and tank treads. :p

OB

Down South
03-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Looks like a good deal to me.