PDA

View Full Version : Going into the body and fender shop for a while

theperfessor
04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I usually don't post a lot of personal stuff online, but I wanted to be sure that when I go into the body and fender shop next month and drop off the site for a while that there will be no speculation about the whys and wherefores of the situation.

I've been having increasing problems with numbness in my hands and legs, and loss of strength in my upper body, especially my right arm. It's gotten severe enough that I've had to learn how to eat with my left hand (I'm normally right handed). As you can imagine it hasn't helped much with doing shop work that requires dexterity and upper body strength. It is interfering with my job and my side business, which is doing CNC subcontract work and making the stuff I sell here.

Had an MRI last month and have since made two trips to Louisville KY (about 300 mile round trip) to a clinic there. Turns out I have spinal stenosis in all my cervical (neck) vertebra. The hole inside the spinal blocks is less than half the diameter it should be, and it is compressing my spinal cord. The only solution is surgery. The procedure involves making a cut lengthwise down one side of each vertebra almost all the way through, and then do the same thing to the other side but the cut goes all the way through. The first cut acts as a hinge and the vertebra is opened up and a spacer is put into the other side to keep it open until it heals. They don't plan to fuse any vertebra together, but I will have to wear a doughnut collar to help stabilize my fat head during recovery.

The Drs think that barring any complications, the surgery itself will take a couple hours, I will have to spend 3 or 4 days in the hospital, then I can go home and start getting therapy after a couple of weeks. A six week followup visit back to Louisville and if all is well I would be released and could gradually get back to work and my business.

Not really looking forward to the pain of the first few days after surgery, but I'll be getting IV painkillers and I've gotten over the pain part of other surgeries in a few days, so I hope that part can be tolerated. Drs say the pain will mainly be from cutting through heavy neck muscles, not from spinal cord nerves. I can get through that with a little help.

The upshot is that I must throttle back on my business right now and shut it down for several months beginning sometime late May. I have another week in the Spring semester to finish and then school is out. I hope to wrap up any outstanding orders then. If you've ordered something from me be a little patient, I'll get it to you but I am working very slow right now and the time I have is limited for another week.

I will post notice when I get a firm date for my surgery, and will try to shut things down in an orderly fashion.

If/when I'm off the site for a while, it won't be because I'm hacked off at anybody or got my feelings bent or anything. I'm finding out for real that when you are a one-owner business, the business is closed when you can't work, and I hope all of you understand that.

jmort
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Will be praying for you. Get the best neurosurgeon you can find. Had a client with the exact same condition and a fool for a surgeon. Enough said. Will be praying for your surgeon to have divine guidance and for a miraculous recovery.

kenyerian
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Good Luck!!!

blackthorn
04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Best wishes from our house for a complete and speedy recovery.

Love Life
04-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Good luck, and heal up soon. It is amazing what modern surgery can accomplish!!

gunfan
04-24-2013, 11:36 AM
All the best. Surgery of this caliber is a definite risk.

Scott

StrawHat
04-24-2013, 11:44 AM
I am also a sole proprietor of a samll business. Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Personally, I do not care for the IV pain killers but they can be a good thing. Prayers and good thoughts for you. Let us know when all is better.

Ramar
04-24-2013, 12:00 PM
theperfessor,
Good luck and hope all goes well.
Ramar

snuffy
04-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Keith, I too will be praying for a 100% successful surgery, and a quick recovery. Just take it easy for a while so there's no complications from hitting the road too soon.

The nose first system is working great! Did some .223, some .284, and have some .243 yet to do.

WILCO
04-24-2013, 12:24 PM
theperfessor,
Good luck and hope all goes well.
Ramar

Ditto for me.

04-24-2013, 12:29 PM
May your surgery go according to plan, and your recovery be speedy. All the best, to you, Keith.

Sweetpea
04-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Keith, we'll be here praying for you, and waiting for your return.

Brandon

joesig
04-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery!

Olevern
04-24-2013, 12:57 PM
praying for a complete and speedy recovery.

Reg
04-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Had the same problem a few years back, it was discovered by accident while repairing a crushed disc. Lucky I had one of the best neurosurgeons in our area. It did turn a two hour operation into a five hour operation but it was one of the best things I ever did.
In addition to the paralysis I had sometimes blinding headaches, so bad I couldn't even think ( do still sometimes suffer from that but it has nothing to do with any surgery !!! ).
Still have to be careful of what and how I lift but all traces of paralysis are gone and haven't even had a trace of those headaches .
Just do what they say for recovery and you will be back at the bench in no time.

Hardcast416taylor
04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Thoughts are with you.Robert

David2011
04-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Keith,

You'll be missed but hopefully won't be gone very long. Will someone be able to post progress reports for you? Prayers sent your way.

David

jeepyj
04-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Best of luck. My wife and I were sole proprietors for many years so I feel your pain. Be sure to follow doctors instructions to insure a speedy recovery!!
Jeepyj

Rick Hodges
04-24-2013, 02:31 PM
I have a friend and hunting buddy who had a similar problem...affecting the nerves to his left arm (left handed) I am not sure of the intricacies of his surgery but he was playing golf after a few months and is better than before now (some two years hence). Good luck, do what the Dr.'s tell you. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing.

10-x
04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Good luck, have a speedy recovery,prayers for you.

Liberty'sSon
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Praying for successful surgery and quick recovery. Let us all know when you are back up and about, I have some work to send your way.

square butte
04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Perfesser, God Bless and God Speed to you and your surgeon.

Doc Highwall
04-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Good luck professor!!!

wallenba
04-24-2013, 03:47 PM
I feel for ya. I have Spinal Stenosis at my L4-L5 and my legs go numb and the nerve impingement can get so painful I have to lie down. I also have a dessicated disc at my C6-C7 that gave me the same symptons you have now, as well as extreme pain in my right arm. The nerve calmed down after that disc blew out and the pain never came back. Hope you get it under control.

x101airborne
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I wish we lived closer together. I could mow the yard and take care of small odds and ends while you recover and you could tell me what I am missing on this site. Best prayers and wishes.

BLTsandwedge
04-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Been there, done that. For me the cervical laminectomy was a lot easier than the lumbar- although your procedure doesn't sound exactly like a laminectomy- but close. With the cervical I was back to work in a week. You're gonna be fine and you'll feel 1000% better. See you back here shortly!

41 mag fan
04-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Guys, I was down there just a few weeks ago visiting Kieth, and it was a shocker to me when he told me about the surgery. I seen keith drop a few things down there while I was there....(sorry Keith, not meaning anything by saying that), but he told me about the surgery and why he needed it. Besides me hoping it'll help, I'm hoping there wont be any complications either.
But like X101Airbourne posted, I told Keith I'd come and help with anything he needed, inbetween work or on weekends, ect ect. I'm only 25mi from Keith.

I don't know what, if any, problems with movement ect comes with the "par for the course" after surgery, but if Keith don't mind and anyone would like to know how he's doing, just pm me and I can find out and post on here or send a pm back.

Keith,

You'll be missed but hopefully won't be gone very long. Will someone be able to post progress reports for you? Prayers sent your way.

David

Bill*
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Best of luck, I hope all goes smoothly.

**oneshot**
04-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Best wishes!!! Don't sweat it, my Sister just had her back operated on. Sounds similar to what your having done, her vertebrate were rubbing. They went in through her back and through her belly to get the wedges put in place. She said the pain she had is gone, just really wants the body cast(as I call it) off. She couldn't stand, sit, or walk for long without severe pain.

Smitty's Retired
04-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Wishing you the best and will keep you in my prayers.

MtGun44
04-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Keith,

I guess the best I can add it that as much as this sucks, it is great that there
is modern technology to deal with it.
I've had a couple of miracle technical cures and am very appreciative of what
the docs can do these days.

I'll say a few prayers for your safety and the help the surgeons do their best work.

Best wishes,

Bill

firefly1957
04-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Prayers for your full recovery......you know there are better ways to get out of Illinois!

xs11jack
04-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Praying for a susessful operation and recovery.
Jack

John Allen
04-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Perfessor, good luck. I hope all turns out ok for you.

twotrees
04-24-2013, 10:07 PM
I'll be saying a Prayer for you and the Dr.'s that will do the "Bondo Job" on you.
I'de say "Keep your chin up", but that doesn't seem right, either.
I have surgery coming up in the next few weeks and am still wearing a back brace 24/7 since the ER 19 months ago didn't find out I also broke my back when I fell off a ladder.
You will be back at it before me I bet.

Keep The Faith,

Twotrees

phil3333
04-24-2013, 10:15 PM
good luck I hope all is well

km101
04-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Hope all goes well during surgery and recovery! Doctors can accomplish great things these days and I'm sure that you will have a good one. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

762 shooter
04-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Good Luck sir.

Endeavor to persevere.

Fishman
04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Keith, prayers offered for you.