PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits in 6.5x55mm Swede

mtgrs737
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I am new to casting boolits for rifles, however I have cast many boolits for pistols in the last 35 years. I have some questions for you all on my first rifle cast boolit project, of which I have choosen a difficult project.

First off I need to cast for my Swedish Mauser rifle which has a bore of around .267" to .268", I am on the list to get one of the group buy Lee six ganger moulds that are supposed to throw a .269" diameter boolet.

I have a set of Redding dies that has a expander measuring .263" diameter.
How and where do I get a .268" expander die and or a M type flare die so that I can correctly seat the larger than normal cast boolit without deforming it or shaving it?

If I can find a expander plug that is .268" I figure that I can reduce it if I need to.

Will Lee make me a special collet neck size die that will size the neck to work with the larger cast boolit? How are you guys dealing with cast boolits in the oversize swede?

The cast boolit is a GC design, but I plan on pushing it only about 1500 to 1600 FPS, do I need a GC or can I shoot it without the check? Positives/Negatives?

dromia
09-05-2007, 02:19 AM
I use a two step case mouth expansion process for cast in my Swedish mausers.

First I use a Lyman "M" die for 26 calibre to put in the step but that on its self still isn't big enough for the larger cast boolits so I then flare the mouth a touch with a Lee neck expander die.

Extra steps but it works good for me and I don't mind the extra steps as I enjoy my bench time.

You could always have a "M" die plug made for your specific needs.

The trick with these rifles is to keep the velocity below 1600-1650 fps, I always use gas checks when gas checks are called for on anything over 1000 fps, I use a softish alloy and hate wrestling with leading so I don't take risks.

The only down side to gas checks for me other than the cost is that you need to have good quality control on your boolits as poor fill out on the shank can mean a loose check that can come off after firing thus causing flyers, some of which I've seen to be real wild ones.

waksupi
09-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Contact the die manufacturer, and tell them you need a larger size. I've done this a couple times, and they have supplied one gratis. Depends on the company.

9.3X62AL
09-05-2007, 09:14 AM
The quirks I've dealt with using "fattened" boolits in rifle and pistol calibers mostly have to do with seater die interior dimensions. The alignment collar that guides the boolit/bullet into the csae mouth is usually spec'd for j-word bullets, and if boolits run much more than .003" over j-word nominal diameter--boolits will be marred or even stick in the collar. Two calibers I use where this REALLY shows up are 303 British and 45-70. The idea of having a cast boolit-specific seater die made up for these has some real merit. It sounds like the 6.5 x 55 might pose a similar quandary for you.

45 2.1
09-05-2007, 09:33 AM
The RCBS 6.5X55 dies from the 70's have no problem seating up to 0.269" boolits. 0.270" and above might be sticky.

mtgrs737
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
It seems like .005" will be causing me a lot of problems. Maybe this project is too much trouble for what it is worth? Thanks for your replies, I hadn't even thought about the seating operation yet! Maybe a .270 win. die would work to seat?

garandsrus
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
mtgrs737,

I use a "Lee Universal Cast Bullet Expander Die" to flair the case mouth. Here's a link to it at Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=140461&t=11082005).

Other than that, I load the 6.5mm with my normal dies.

Buckshot made a .269 sizing die for me that works with a Lyman/RCBS sizer.

John

Char-Gar
09-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Too much trouble? no..no..no... The overcoming of these small challenges is what makes the difference between wannabe cast bullet shooter and a person who is the real deal. We live for these challenges!

9.3X62AL
09-05-2007, 11:15 AM
737--

I use an 8 x 57 seater die for the wide-bodied 303 British--so your idea might work fine. The 45-70 seater with Fat Ones remains problematic, though.

mtgrs737
09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I just talked to a fellow named Dave at Lee about the oversized bore of the 6.5 swede and he said that the Lee dies for 6.5 x 55 Swede they make now are set to reload using a bullet of .267" diameter. He also said that they will modify a Lee Collet die to my spec for $10 and provide me with a push through sizer die of my spec for $25. He said that a bullet of .269" Diameter would give my trouble in the seating die as they set the body of the seater die to .001" over the bullet dia. to support straight alinement of bullet to case neck during seating. This could end up being expensive with a custom set of dies to do this right for cast boolits. With the neck only sizing collet die I am shooting for maximum accuracy and the least brass wear, and possible bullet deforming during seating. Am I on the right track here?

Steelshooter
09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
If lee makes you a custom collect neck sizing die with say a .268 center neck sizing pin, all you would have to do is slightly bell the case to seat the boolits. The 270 dies might work but that is alot of slop for holding the boolit in line with the case. I opened my seater die up to .269 to seat the boolit.
Good luck
Chuck

mtgrs737
09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I think that you are right, If lee will do the work on both collet and seater dies then I think all I will need is a cast bullet case mouth belling or flare die to start the bullet into the case. Is there much spring back from the neck sizing pin when using the collet die?

What does it take to get buckshot to make a size die for my Lyman 450?

mtgrs737
09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I emailed Redding and got an answer back today that they are sending me a new expander button for my Redding dies, it measures .267" dia. I hope this works as I am afraid of damaging the .269" dia. cast boolits I will be using.