PDA

View Full Version : How long to load 30-30 cast

randyrat
09-04-2007, 07:31 PM
New to rifle cast bullets(lots of pistola bullets )and i'm loading Lee C309-170 (sized to 309) They are comming out to 180 grs/with gas check. To start i'm loading some mouse loads but when i get serious how long can i load this bullet(book says 2.550 min)I haven't had the time to slug the barrel,but, when i do can i measure from what point to what point from the cast/slug? The rifle is a 30-30 old Marlin lever gun with ballard rifling. I seem to have a mental block on "how" today. To start i'm using unique. One more question how much crimp before i ruin the bullet? I'm using Lyman dies- M die to give it a little flare for cast bullets- full length sizer and a seating die/crimping . I just can't find anywhere how much crimp. I think they hid the answer in LEE'S SECOND ADDITION

Jack Stanley
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Unless you are going to load them single shot into the breech , you will want to mind the length of your ammo .
You won't need any more crimp that is usefull to keep it from getting pushed into the case deeper . I normally use just enough to turn the case into the lead a little . Sometimes I use a standard roll crimp and other times a LEE factory crimp does the job .

Jack

Buckshot
09-05-2007, 01:51 AM
..........The Ideal length would be: Short enough to feed and long enough to enrgave. I assume you don't want a single shot, so seating to feed would be #1. Getting a slug to engrave should also not be an issue due to the SAMMI chamber specs for the 30-30. That is assuming your bore rider design you're using casts large enough on the nose to engrave.

I had my great grandfather's well used but well cared for 1906 made Marlin 1893 for many years (untill my brother claimed it as I'd gotten the Springfield NRA Sporter :-)). That was the most egar to please cast boolit shooting mo-sheen I'd ever run across, and I'd settled on the Lee 160gr slug for it. I flattened the nose when sizing it, btw.

The 30-30 is normally a very easy cartridge to get shooting well, so long as you play by the rules. When you slug it, if you have calipers you can easily check both the bore and groove. On the slug, widest to widest will give you the groove. The engraved to engraved part will be the bore. A mike can give you the groove diameter, but unless you have a 'groove, or blade' mike, the anvils are normally to wide to read the engraved lands to give a bore diameter.

If you get a .308" reading for the groove I'd go .309". If you can get a chamber neck slug you may find you can go .310", which might even be better.

The Lyman 311041 is designed specificly FOR the 30-30 btw.

..............Buckshot

randyrat
09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks, Buchshot Great info, said so clearly, plainly. I do understand the groove and the bore measurments but i'm still confused on how to come up with the length to seat the bullet to get full potential of accuracy. I've heard of Blackening a loose bullet, then chamber carefully then back off a little, but, measuring with a slug out of my chamber is fussy. Oh, i also got the crimp where it should be, i think.