PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate question

cf5757
04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
How tight is too tight for the spruce plate? I was casting today with a NOE mold and had to tighten the spruce plate every few casts. Is this normal or should I crank down on the thing to begin with? I don't want to gal the top of the mold, but it doesn't seem quite right to have to tighten so often.

tg32-20
04-22-2013, 09:54 PM
It does not need to be tight.
It should swing easily with little or no resistance.

Make sure you lube it with bullplate or ATF when it is warm and wipe off excess.

Tom

cf5757
04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
When you lube the plate do you lube just the pivot or the whole surface.

R.M.
04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
NOE uses a set-screw snugged up against the pivot screw to keep it from backing out.

cf5757
04-22-2013, 10:09 PM
I missed that. What a great idea. I will tighten that before the next casting session.

Iron Mike Golf
04-22-2013, 10:27 PM
When you lube the plate do you lube just the pivot or the whole surface.

Lube the whole plate, except the area that rests over the cavity when the sprue plate is closed. Lube the top of the mold blocks, staying 1/8" or so away from the edges of the cavities.

Use very little lube. Then wipe things dry. You just want a microscopic film left behind. If there is enough that is looks "wet", then the lube will migrate to the cavities and make wrinkled boolits.

cf5757
04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Thank you Jeff that makes perfect sense.

44man
04-23-2013, 08:16 AM
I have a lot of trouble with the plate screw unscrewing too. It is funny that it loosens but never turns the other direction.
I use a setscrew with a hunk of copper wire to go against the plate screw but heat loosens it so I need to keep an Allen wrench handy.
I don't like the setscrew to ruin threads and a good way is to file a flat on the sprue screw but it is a pain to get it in the right spot.

Kull
04-23-2013, 09:45 AM
The advise I've read around here that the sprue plate should be loose enough to swing open by it's self was right on.

runfiverun
04-23-2013, 11:16 AM
you know you have it too tight or too loose when it affects the bases of the boolits.
too tight will lift the plate away from the ones furthest from screw.
too loose will lift it away from the ones nearest the screw.

gray wolf
04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
I use a soft piece of old shop towel, not to fluffy, it's about 4" square folded in half.
I wet it with just a little bit of bull plate two years ago and it still works fine to lube the sprue plate. A quick wipe and then I wipe it with a dry towel.
The lube bottle never spills and you never use to much.

gwpercle
04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
There is a definate learning curve you have to go thru when casting and getting the " baby bear" spot on the sprue plate adjustment. And as the mould heats up you will need to tighten it a little more, so keep screwdrivers handy and you can make those fine adjustments while at the bench...the base is real important. And keep a driver handy for that all important setscrew.

Gary