PDA

View Full Version : Bullet tip against primer

hoss-noogy
04-22-2013, 09:40 PM
I just wanted to get you guys opinion on this. I load a 245 grain Saeco boolit in my 35 Remington. The tip is blunt but definately smaller than the primer. Usually, when I shoot this rifle I only load one round in the chamber and one in the magazine . Do any of you guys load to full magazine capacity when the tip of your boolit is smaller than the primer? I usually shoot a bolt gun and I definately don't want a chain reaction happening

Thanks-Hoss

runfiverun
04-23-2013, 11:28 AM
set a couple on your bench nose to tail.
are 'things' lined up fairly close?
rimmed cases will generally tip the nose down so it's not a big deal.
square shouldered/bodied stuff is more in-line increasing the chances.

gwpercle
04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I always load flat points in my win. 94 30-30. I know that "technically" soft /round nose boolits are not supposed to set off the round ahead of it but I don't like to tempt fate. Just my luck I would be the first to have a chain reaction in the magazine. I also make sure the meplate of the flat nose is a nice large one...a bit larger diameter than a primer.
Gary

DLCTEX
04-23-2013, 06:36 PM
No problems with round noses in 30-30. I have put a lot of pressure on primers when I had forgot a small pin was in the press and it should have been a large. No mishaps.

Mk42gunner
04-23-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't have any of the 245 grain Saeco boolits, but I do have a couple of boxes of the .35 Remington 150 grain JSP on hand. They look to have a sharper point than the pictures I have seen of the Saeco. So I set two of them up on the table like they were in a tube mag. The meplat, 0.120" as near as I could measure tonight, sits neatly on the primer of the round in front. Kind of makes me wish that Marlin had used Remigton's idea of a spiral magazine tube.

My point is there is no warning about not using these rounds in a tube magazine, so I really don't see a problem using real boolits in a tube mag.

I really don't think a lead alloy boolit with a flat meplat would be able to set off a primer with no more recoil than a .35 Remington has anyway.

Robert

Shiloh
04-23-2013, 10:03 PM
There was a pic posted here one of a tube mag that blew up. That however was with pointed jacketed bullets. Do a search.
I would think you would need a pointed bullet. I cant see a flat nose bullet firing a primer.

Shiloh

MT Gianni
04-23-2013, 10:59 PM
I loaded 6 when I had the 356 Win. No issues.