PDA

View Full Version : Asheville gun shop

04-22-2013, 06:51 PM
While on my turkey hunt in the mountains of NC I stopped into a gun shop and they had some supplies I could use. I bought a pound of Green Dot, a pound of 2400 and 1000 large pistol primers for just under $100.

Smitty's Retired
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Decent price. Hopefully we are seeing things start to get a little calmer.

Blammer
04-22-2013, 08:23 PM
which shop?

04-23-2013, 05:36 AM
which shop?

I'm not sure of the name, it's on Brevard Rd. Not far from the Biltmore Square Mall.

Love Life
04-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Good price. My local gun shop raised primers from $41.00 per 1,000 to $51.00 per 1,000 in a week. Needless to say I did not buy their primers...

They did have a huge jug of Hoppes on sale though.

captaint
04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't pay that. I'd let them sit. I can take that attitude. I don't need primers right now.
Mike

Love Life
04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
I definitely didn't buy any, and this shop was charging $7.99 per 20 pack of Wolf 7.62X39 back in the winter of 2010- October 2012. I find it odd though because their handguns are usually pretty respectable prices. I just don't get it.

contender1
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
I know the gun shop in question I believe. If you were there,, they had a lot of T/C stuff,, and books. (The books are a second business, not gun related.) Now, 2 lbs of powder,, at say approximately $25 per lb, and primers at $30 per brick, (normal, non-inflated pricing,) should have been closer to $80-$85 total after taxes.
If it's the same shop, I bet you didn't see any actual firearms,, as they lost their FFL a few years ago.
If it's not that shop,,, I don't know of any other nearby.
BTW; I have found primers locally for $30 per brick, and powder for under $25 lb after taxes. Not a huge selection, nor in great quantities, but in many places that are not jacking up the prices.

Blammer
04-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Across the street from a large shoe store?

Yea, he usually has the highest prices around even when times are easy.

there is another gunshop that opened on Sweeten Creek road, and there is Rex's in Henderson. If you're in the neighborhood may as well drop by if you have time.

abunaitoo
04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
$25.00 for a pound of powder????
Price here is close to $50.00. If you can find any.
Primers are around $125 a brick.
.22 ammo, if you can find any, run $80 a brick.
But we do have the sunshine.
But it's raining right now.

04-24-2013, 05:50 AM
I know the gun shop in question I believe. If you were there,, they had a lot of T/C stuff,, and books. (The books are a second business, not gun related.) Now, 2 lbs of powder,, at say approximately $25 per lb, and primers at $30 per brick, (normal, non-inflated pricing,) should have been closer to $80-$85 total after taxes.
If it's the same shop, I bet you didn't see any actual firearms,, as they lost their FFL a few years ago.
If it's not that shop,,, I don't know of any other nearby.
BTW; I have found primers locally for $30 per brick, and powder for under $25 lb after taxes. Not a huge selection, nor in great quantities, but in many places that are not jacking up the prices.

That's the shop.

04-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Across the street from a large shoe store?

Yea, he usually has the highest prices around even when times are easy.

there is another gunshop that opened on Sweeten Creek road, and there is Rex's in Henderson. If you're in the neighborhood may as well drop by if you have time.

I'm back home on the coast.

contender1
04-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Yep, that shop isn't known to be one of the better places to shop. The owner is a bit crotitchy, and his son is learning from the master.
Rex's in Hendersonville doesn't have much in stock, and Rex is well known for his attitude around the locals. They do not contribute to the NRA or other groups that work hard to keep him in business. The gun range there isn't any better. Rex's two nephews own it. (Built & GIVEN to them by granddaddy.) All they want is money & don't care how they get it.

If you are in the Asheville area, check out Leicester Pawn & Gun. The owners are good people to deal with, and they are premier supporters of the local FoNRA. While they do not carry reloading supplies normally, they do keep guns in stock, and even have ammo.

In Hendersonville, B&S Gunsmithing,, a small dealer, but NOT a price gouger, gets bullets (mostly Extreme plated ones,) and primers. He also gets some powder,, but not as much. His primer prices,,, $30 a brick, plus tax. He has plenty of Large Rifle Win in stock right now. He's also heavily involved in the local FoNRA. (Past Chairman, current State Grant Fund Committee Chairman, etc.)

Honest, non-gouging dealers are still out there.

shooterg
04-24-2013, 11:09 AM
My daughter lived in Asheville for years and I never got to go to any gunstores there ! Wife made me go to the danged Biltmore every time we visited....

Did go the the flea market at Hendersonville, some good stuff was there.