PDA

View Full Version : Weed whacking just plain sucks.

44man
04-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Just got in after doing the yard and my back hurts. Stinking, nasty work.
I am going to put Round Up around everything.
We found some morals and I had a pile with eggs for supper, made things feel better. It got too cold last night so we only found a few.
Carol has me beat, finding black ones in our woods. She keeps her spots secret. Kind of hurts to have her wave a bag of them at me.

bosterr
04-22-2013, 05:45 PM
I much prefer to cut grass/weed whack than shovel/plow snow!

Love Life
04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Ahhh the beauty of the desert. No lawn mower or weed eater for this guy.

TCFAN
04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I have found that using Roundup is much easier than using the old weed eater............Terry

wvmanchu
04-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Weed wack around about 400 ft of chain link fence,

04-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Just spent about an hour using one, and, indeed, it sucks. I've haven't found one long enough and I have to bend over quite a bit, which takes its toll on the ol' back.

Just last night, I told my wife that it's Round Up time.

beagle
04-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Weed whack 1/4 mile of rock fence sometime. Just did that today too and my sloping banks. Really raises cane with your ankles. The 9mm HP in the left hip pocket for balance and snakes. But, better than snow./beagle

snuffy
04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Weeds?! We don't even have green grass yet. Snow expected tonight and tomorrow. Nice day today, but it's been said about Wisconsin weather, if you don't like it, wait about 10 minutes, it'll change.

Liberty'sSon
04-22-2013, 06:51 PM
+1 for roundup. Weedeaters suck.

elginrunner
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I've got a acre yard with a chain link fence around the whole thing. I can't wait for my five year old boy to get a few years on him!!

Case Stuffer
04-22-2013, 07:38 PM
I am going to put Round Up around everything.

I use to purchase commerical grade concentraded Round Up by the gallon and it was over $100, around 6 or 8 years ago I wised up and started purchasing Ortho Total Kill which is the same thing but a lot less expensive. Total Kill takes a little longer to start showing results but works just as well in the long run.

country gent
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
I truly enjoy my Grass hopper and mowing the yard but since Ive developed the mobility issues its the only way I can get around the yard and see what the critters are tearing up. 14 wood chucks out of the kitchen window last spring / summer with the hornet. none over 50 ft distance. I mow 2 acres and really enjoy getting out in the sun, and it does me good.

dbosman
04-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Round Up concentrate from a farm supply store, plus a dedicated sprayer for lawns.
It's a bit more work, and seems to be high price to pay, until you're still using the same bottle for a couple of years.
About $14 for a pint, that makes a bit over 5 gal.
About $180 for 2.5 gal that makes a bit over 53 gal.

Total Kill Ortho may have been superseded by GroundClear.

runfiverun
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
good lord we got snow today.
i'll probably maybe get the lawn mower out in another week or two and see if it will start.

dbosman
04-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I've got a acre yard with a chain link fence around the whole thing. I can't wait for my five year old boy to get a few years on him!!

I started mowing on a small -very safe- riding mower. That was farm country though. Parents would probably be arrested these days.
My father kept fertilizing two acres and ******** about how often he had to mow.

deep creek
04-22-2013, 08:24 PM
good lord we got snow today.
i'll probably maybe get the lawn mower out in another week or two and see if it will start. It snowed all morning in idaho falls to im getting tired of it cant even find a potgut to shoot deepcreek

x101airborne
04-22-2013, 09:15 PM
There is a soil sterilizer that the oil field guys use around the control valves. It is like roundup but works on EVERYTHING. And it is permanent. Lasts for about 4 years and is cheaper than roundup.

wallenba
04-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Weed whackers are a gift from God. Growing up in a military family, my dad gave me the task of the yard work and policing the area. I had a push type reel mower, and had to trim the grass around the house with scissors. I kid you not.

waksupi
04-22-2013, 10:32 PM
I use vinegar, salt, and a bit of dish soap. Put it in the sprayer, and it kills most grass and weeds.

04-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Waksupi,
What are the amounts?

runfiverun
04-22-2013, 10:48 PM
5% salt in vinegar makes acetic acid.
the soap makes it stick.

i seen 2 rock chucks out about 3 weeks back.
but there are so many hawks around here anymore they run at any kind of movement.
i don't even know what the hawks are eating, there is so many of them.
you can easily see over 20 in an hours travel.

TXGunNut
04-22-2013, 10:52 PM
I have an Echo trimmer that makes quick work of weeds, I do a couple of 2 acre places. Long pants and long sleeve shirts mandatory, face shields and Kevlar optional but recommended. May use chemicals on the driveway, cheaper than windows and paint jobs.

waksupi
04-22-2013, 10:55 PM
5% salt in vinegar makes acetic acid.
the soap makes it stick.

I'm not this exact. I put in as much vinegar I think I will need for the job, a handful of salt, and a squirt of soap. I don't think the proportions are real critical.

Swamp Man
04-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Guys buy a commercial Echo with a straight shaft in 2400 or 2500 and you can trim with ease. I use to own a landscape co and maintained 8 complexes 120 plus ac in total each week. Echo is the only brand I would buy when it came to two cycle power tools because I could trust them to get the work done.

ncbearman
04-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Just spent about an hour using one, and, indeed, it sucks. I've haven't found one long enough and I have to bend over quite a bit, which takes its toll on the ol' back.

Just last night, I told my wife that it's Round Up time.

Me too. Look at the Stihl. They are longer, but cost a lot. You won't ever have to buy another.

Bad Water Bill
04-23-2013, 02:56 AM
Weed whackers are a gift from God. Growing up in a military family, my dad gave me the task of the yard work and policing the area. I had a push type reel mower, and had to trim the grass around the house with scissors. I kid you not.

Ben there done that till the late 60s[smilie=s:

jeepyj
04-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Maybe if it gets above freezing for more than a few hours a day we could break out a weed whacker. Our grass is just starting to grow. I still haven't seen a mower yet this year. It won't be long though that we can use our weed whackers to kill the Mosquitos and black flys. Haha
Jeepyj

41 mag fan
04-23-2013, 07:13 AM
I hate mowing and weed whacking period.
I've got an evil eyed wife that decided she loves to use the rider and trim about 6-7yrs ago
If i think the yard needs mowed, I'll go out to the garage, and crank up the rider. Next thing I hear is a quick paced thump thump thump, and there she is with those evil red eyes staring at me thru the glass of the door.
The stare is so scary, I'll whiz a yellow stream straight down my leg!!!
Next thing I hear is a whole lot of grumbling while I'm in the bedroom changing my underwear, and the clink clink clink of ice going into the cooler.
Then I hear the mower crank up, I'll go sit out on the deck, and watch. Ipods in her ears, beer in one hand, smoke in the other, and off she goes singing and mowing away.
She'll drive by, I'll raise my bear in toast, she'll give me that evil eyed glare, i'll p*ss right down my leg again, go change me underwear, come back out, enjoy the sun drinking my beer and watch her mow.
Life sure is good!!!!

farmerjim
04-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Buy 42% glyphosate at the farm supply for $ 15 a gallon. This makes 64 gallons of spray. Use poast or Select in the flower beds, It is selective and will kill grass and not broadleaf plants.

pdawg_shooter
04-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Snowed here in western Kansas last night. Ice on the highway to watch for coming in to work. Need to have Al Gore explain the global warming thing again.

Rick N Bama
04-23-2013, 07:55 AM
When it comes to weed whackers & leaf blowers Shindaiwa is on the top of my list. Of course it helped that I was working for a dealer & got them at cost [smilie=w:

Rick

BigJohn8705
04-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Morals already, where are you at? Here in northern Indiana we have only had two or three days warm enough to even think about them. Yesterday it was 76, and tonight they are calling for snow. Gatta love the weather in the northeren midwest. If you don't like it wait a few hours! ^_^

blackthorn
04-23-2013, 10:08 AM
We have a John Deer ride-on, an Echo Weed-wacker, 1.8 acers and a big Chickory problem!!! What kills Chickory????? This area is semi-desert so we have a problem maintaining any kind of green lawn for the whole summer. Grass is almost tall enough to need cutting now but just a couple of miles up the mountain there is still a bunch of snow! As well as the weed-wacker I also have two Echo chain saws. I am sold on Echo products!!

357maximum
04-23-2013, 11:03 AM
TWO- FOUR- DEEEE

I only trim once every other year. :mrgreen:

Phoenix
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Weed burner, best way ever. (unless you are using it around something that melts) once per year maybe twice.

Kull
04-23-2013, 12:02 PM
I hated it when I was a kid but for whatever reason I enjoy yard work these days, and I have plenty.

Dark Helmet
04-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Clear the trimmings out of the way, when it greens up again, then hit it with your liquid edger :evil: -unless you would like it to stay green but hardly grow (looks purty), then you can mix your regular Roundup half strength. You should be good for the season!

mpmarty
04-23-2013, 11:08 PM
I've got 40 acres and have negotiated a truce with the weeds. I leave them alone and they stay outside my house. I did ride my Troy built tiller around the garden today, like riding a bareback bronc.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Sahara - Use it to see how it gets it's name

http://bettervm.basf.us/products/sahara-dg-herbicide.html

popper
04-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Weed whacker on a chain link fence is like casting zinc CB. Salt itself will kill the soil, except for salt cedar.

Bullwolf
04-24-2013, 01:01 AM
80 acres, and I drag a Brush King mower deck behind the Ford tractor.
68302 68303

Not on the Ranch right now (no internet there) but I will be back there again tomorrow for more mowing.
68304 68307

Weed wacking really does suck! It also takes me days, and is hard on my back.

I can't really do the tight stuff, like right up close next to the barn with out using the weed whacker. I do everything else that I can do with a lawn mower, ride on mower, or by dragging the brush king behind the tractor.
68308 68309

For larger brush removal jobs, I try to take it down using the bigger tractor (crawler) first. I often have a lot of brush to clear while trying to make room for pasture.
68305 68306

- Bullwolf

44man
04-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Wow, lots of fellas that feel like I do!
I have a Stihl I bought 27 years ago, straight shaft, handle bars and a sling. The only problem I have had was using Stihl oil, it carboned the exhaust shut. The same oil froze the rings with carbon in my Husky leave blower. That is a fun machine to take apart.
I need to try some of the stuff you guys recommend. It will cut my work in half.
Now the worst thing, the wife! When I cut grass she bitches about the dogs bringing in grass or grass on boots. She expects me to vacuum it all up. Not going to happen!

Sasquatch-1
04-24-2013, 08:33 AM
I have often wonder, while riding my lawn tractor around my massive 0.27 acres, why someone hasn't developed a weed whacker that can be mounted on a lawn tractor that could be swiveled fro side to side. That way you trim while you cut. OK machinist and engineers out there. If you make one of these don't forget where you got the idea.

texassako
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM
I have often wonder, while riding my lawn tractor around my massive 0.27 acres, why someone hasn't developed a weed whacker that can be mounted on a lawn tractor that could be swiveled fro side to side. That way you trim while you cut. OK machinist and engineers out there. If you make one of these don't forget where you got the idea.

Swisher makes or made a pull behind called the postmaster. I borrowed one once to try using along a fence by attaching it behind my tractor's finish mower. Now I know why the tractor came setup with a sprayer pulled behind the mower that can be set to spray on one side. The Swisher could not keep up except in the lowest gear.

44man
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
The wife came in this morning with half a bag of black morals. I went the other way and found a handful of brown ones. They don't like the cold nights.
I gave up and cut the grass.
I will soon have to cut my range.