PDA

View Full Version : What lube sizer to buy?

gunoil
04-22-2013, 04:29 PM
What is the all around good buy for lubesizer and easy to operate and load lube. All i have ever used is alox. Or maybe something to replace alox, i dont know.

Not much on ebay anymore, i have a rcbs catalog.

"you are caller number 23"

Wayne Smith
04-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Of the two, Lyman or RCBS, I would take the RCBS. Better guarantee, built a little stronger, and useful threading are all better than the Lyman.

trixter
04-22-2013, 05:09 PM
If you are going to be using cast boolits for 99% of your shooting and plan on doing this for a long period of time, I would sincerely suggest that you order yourself a Magma Star. The others work just fine, but are double the arm pulls. I know how you are thinking, and I went through all the steps. Lee LLA and push through sizer (which I still use), Lyman (nearly the same as the RCBS) and then came across a Star (loaned to me by a very gracious friend) the deal with my friend; as I cast and lube/size, one for me, and one for him. He provided me with a bunch of alloy too. It has been a great deal for both of us. Now I am saving up to buy a new one of my own. And very soon.

runfiverun
04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
I remember a story about people visiting the saeco shop [where they made saeco lubesizers] and seeing a star lubesizer mounted on the bench.
it wasn't there for looking at.

gefiltephish
04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
The Star is a much much higher quality device. As said above, if you're going to do a lot handgun bullets, it's highly recommend it even if money is an object (save for it, you'll be glad you did). That said, a lot of people prefer the RCBS/Lyman for pointy rifle bullets. I dislike the Lyman so much that if I made pointy rifle bullets, I'd surely find a way to make 'em work in the Star.

MtGun44
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Star is a great machine, but if you want to load a wide range of boolits, especially if you have single groove and
multigroove designs with the same diameter, it is a moderate pain in the neck. The Star (I have two) is fantastic for
large quantities of the same boolit. If you are going to lube 1000 or 5000 of the same one right in a row, then
Star is definitely the way to go.

For the person that will lube 50 of this or 100 of that - different designs, especially - then the much lower
cost of the RCBS or Lyman is very attractive. You can setup for .452 and then size any design with nothing
more than a height adjustment (very quick). Also, Star dies are much more expensive than RCBS/Lyman dies -
with the critical caveat that Lathesmith and Buckshot (here) make great custom dies for reasonable prices.

If this happens with a Star and you need a one groove design, followed by a 2 groove design, followed by a
3 groove design, you have to pull the die and drill out or add lead shot to open or close the rows of holes in
the die. The RCBS/Lyman move whatever grooves there are past the lube holes and will lube them all. The
Star puts the boolit in place, and then the lube is injected into all grooves at the same time - so there needs
to be a row of open holes lined up with each lube groove. This can be a pain to set up, and if you are
switching a lot, it irritates me. My Stars get used for large quantity designs and may not get changed
(except for height setting, a few seconds) for a year or more.

Currently, both are set up for single groove designs, one for .358 and one for .430

Bill

gunoil
04-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks members, while you guys are helping i called AZ and talked with the nice lady at magma star. She said 90 day wait, and the big one is a year wait.

Anyone have a star for sell, please let me know. I only do 9mm and 45acp.

i will look at saeco youtube if i find one.

I like cast boolits popping out the bottom in container from the star LS'er.

And i like adding accessories.

This one is nice:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI

sig938,xds45,db.9,G26

DHurtig
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
When my old Lyman crapped out, I bought an RCBS LAM II and I couldn't be happier. Bought mine at Graf's and the price was good and shipped super fast. Dale

detox
04-22-2013, 08:04 PM
The Lyman comes with a gas check seater attachment...RCBS does not. I use a flat .308 nose punch to guard against alignment problems both the Lyman and RCBS are plagued with. My RCBS is all I need because i do not cast TOO MANY boollits.

cbrick
04-22-2013, 08:07 PM
I remember a story about people visiting the saeco shop [where they made saeco lubesizers] and seeing a star lubesizer mounted on the bench.
it wasn't there for looking at.

True enough, I bought that Star from John Adams when he sold SAECO to Redding. I don't know about the Redding shop now or what they are doing but when SAECO was in CA SAECO used a Star in the shop & I bought it.

Rick

rbertalotto
04-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Had a Lyman...Had an RCBS...Now have a STAR with air cylinder and Lyman heated base........No comparison. The RCBS and Lyman can't hold a candle to the STAR. No top punches needed and Chris at LatheSmith can make you dies with VERY quick turn around time.

Save a few more $$ and buy once....BTW, when I order my STAR they told me 60 days and I had it in under a week........

User STARS go for stupid money. One just sold on Ebay for near $500!!