PDA

View Full Version : Passing on to our children

FLINTNFIRE
04-22-2013, 02:18 AM
With that said , they are growing up , and some have already become adults, with that said .

The son his wife and the granddaughter came down for the weekend , did some fishing , and he is showing a interest in reloading , and casting , so he took home 900 federal small rifle primers , a pound of accurate 2015 and some 55 grain speer bullets , along with some .223 brass , a older Lyman press , rcbs dies and shellholder , speer reloading manual ,505 scale , primer tray .

The main thing was his desire to start reloading and his interest in firearms , passing it on down from us to our children so they can pass on to their children .

I see my son starting to do what I started around his age , though I had to buy my own components and equipment ,I am happy to give to him out of the surplus of what I have , happier to see him want to get involved , and looking forward to him casting his own and seeing the joys of making your own start to finish.

All in all a great weekend .

captaint
04-22-2013, 10:03 AM
All we can do is try to generate some interest, get them started and help out when we can. The fire will either light or not. I've been working on my oldest son. He has a ways to go. We'll see. Mike

snuffy
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
My son showed an interest when he was 4 or 5 YO. I got him a single pump air pistol,(.177), he shot that even though he could hardly hold it up! He could cock it if he layed it on the ground, then stood on the lever with all his weight!:shock:

It progressed to him shooting a cut down 20 ga. shotty, when he was 8. I soon figured it out that he was still too little to hold it, swing and fire with any consistency. He never took to shotgun games, he tried skeet , trap, and sporting clays, but never really liked it.

I got him a Browning A-bolt in 7-08 for his 14 th. birthday. It's his pride and joy. He used it that year to take an enormous whitetail buck. The mounted head is residing on my wall, awaiting him, for when he gets settled in his home after college.

He's now shooting the handgun games like IDPA,IPSC, and has said he'll try 3 gun soon.

He also has a reloading kit I got him last year, he hasn't got it set up yet. I trained him in the basics of reloading and he's done some of his own stuff on my equipment. He has said he wants to learn to cast boolits!:bigsmyl2: He's down in Memphis now, will return to WI. in July.

Down South
04-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I've had a number of people express intrest in reloading lately. I'll be glad to teach them but the problem is that there are no reloading supplies to be found. I had a guy ask me yesterday, if he bought the "stuff" could "we" reload some bullets. Poor guy, I told him if he could find the stuff we would reload then I broke the sad news. There ain't no stuff to be found but look for yourself.