PDA

View Full Version : Cheap powder, primers!

Doc1
04-21-2013, 10:49 PM
(Mods, I hope it's OK to post this here. I'm just trying to help out folks during this primer and powder shortage and I have no financial relationship with the person or firm mentioned. In fact, I just met him).

In this area, at gun shows, primers have been going for $75+ and powder has been going for $35 to as much as $80 per-pound! Often there is very little to be found.

At a small(er) show in Gulfport, MS this past weekend I met an avid shooter and local dealer who is really helping out the shooting community. His name is Tom Dutchmann of Action Shooting Supply LLC in Pearl River, Louisiana. (504) 458-0093. I was astounded by his prices and when I mentioned it to him, he simply said, "I'm not trying to gouge anyone."

What kind of prices? He had Unique, 2400, Bullseye and similar powders for $20 per-pound. Most other common powders were no more than $23 per-pound and he had Varget! Primers? He had name brands in large and small pistol and large and small rifle for - are you ready? - $35 per-thousand. I'm not talking about just a couple of cans of powder or boxes of primers, but a couple of tables full! There were a lot of other venders at the show trying to get jacked up prices, but I think Tom pretty much deflated their balloons.

Again, I have no financial relationship with this firm and Tom probably wouldn't even remember me, since I met him for the first time and there were hundreds of guys patronizing his tables. I did grab one of his cards. If you're going to be in the south Louisiana or Mississippi areas and are short on supplies, it might be very much worth your while to give his shop a call: (504) 458-0093.

Best regards
Doc

jonp
04-22-2013, 04:17 PM
That's great and I can think of one guy who is going to gain and keep alot of business in the future. One shop near here jacked its prices way up to take advantage and another is still selling primers at that price. Same as before the scare. I moved all of my business there. I recommend that everyone who go's into a shop that doubled or tripled its prices to tell them why they are leaving and will not be shopping there again.

Shiloh
04-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Agreed jonp.

Shooters seem to be a loyal bunch with long memories. They remember who helped them out and who didn't

Shiloh

Darkh2odiver
04-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Subscribing to this thread. It's great hear about business men like this! Thank you for sharing Doc1! I'm offshore right now but maybe I'll get lucky and he will still have some things in stock when I get home.

41 mag fan
04-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Meeks guns in Ft Branch In is the same way. hasn't got much in primers or powder last time i was there (month ago), but he refuses to gouge his prices on anything, guns or supplies.

**oneshot**
04-23-2013, 07:41 AM
My LGS is keeping his prices normal. Supply is the only issue he is having, but that is everywhere around here.