PDA

View Full Version : LLA and goop in barrel...

medicstimpy
09-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Ok, just a quick question. I think it has to do with resizing more than LLA.

In my 9mm, I ran through a few hundred rounds of Lee TL-RN, TL-TC and those "38/357" SWC's. All lubed with LLA. I got a lot of goop in the barrel now. Could it be that since I've sized them to .356 that maybe they aren't going through the rifleing like they should? I guess I should "slug" my barrel.

I ask because I also ran plenty of rounds through my 1911 and my XD45 and neither one has goop in the barrel. Again, all TL and all lubed with LLA and sized to 0.451"

Could it be that I need to resize my 9mm to .357"?

Bass Ackward
09-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Ok, just a quick question. I think it has to do with resizing more than LLA.

I guess I should "slug" my barrel.

Could it be that I need to resize my 9mm to .357"?

Medic,

Although you will find bullet diameters and sizes that "break the rule", I am still a big believer in slugging. If nothing else, this will tell me of rough spots, choke points in diameter, choke points in rifling narrowing their space, large spots, changes in twist rate, bore finish, throat shape / length, etc.

Then you can look at sizing. If you are not a perfectionist, you can simply size for the largest bullet that will reliably chamber. This may turn out to be your best for accuracy to. Or your best accuracy with a certain load. But I end up sizing everywhere on the map. In cases, I sometimes end up sizing below bore diameter to get the best accuracy if I want to make a certain powder / load / lube work. If that's where it is, then that's where it is. Think about , why, later. :grin:

After everything we learn. After everything we ponder. After everything we outline in posts. You still have to ask Professor Gun what he thinks because results are all that matters to him.

Wayne Smith
09-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Please define "goop" - metallic goop or non-metallic goop?

Jim
09-04-2007, 04:55 PM
That's why I gave my entire stock of LLA to 357 MAXIMUM. Never again.

medicstimpy
09-05-2007, 12:55 AM
I scrubbed and scrubbed and let the cleaner soak. Even tried brake cleaner. Got a lot out but not all. I'm going to have to try and scrape a bit out and see exactly what it is. If it's lube or LLA or lead or what-have-you. I didn't excessively lube the bullets with LLA but I know those other cheap brand ones I had trouble before so it might be that.

FallRun
09-05-2007, 05:33 AM
I scrubbed and scrubbed and let the cleaner soak. Even tried brake cleaner. Got a lot out but not all. I'm going to have to try and scrape a bit out and see exactly what it is. If it's lube or LLA or lead or what-have-you. I didn't excessively lube the bullets with LLA but I know those other cheap brand ones I had trouble before so it might be that. With all that scrubbing you did, I'll bet it's lead. Any lube residue would have been easy to clean. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Bret4207
09-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Use 4/0 steel wool or Chore Boy type scrubby to get your "goop" out. Sounds like lead from undersize boolits to me. I've had good luck with LLA.

Junior1942
09-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Use 4/0 steel wool or Chore Boy type scrubby to get your "goop" out. Sounds like lead from undersize boolits to me. I've had good luck with LLA.+1 on the undersize and the good luck with LLA.

jeff223
09-05-2007, 08:55 AM
ive been shooting lots of cast boolits lubed up with the group buy alox all summer and its great stuff.i lube with one heavy coat and i shoot my 357max Contender with max loads,good accuracy,no leading and no goop in the bore.i do get alittle smoke with the stuff but who cares?i tumble lube in a plastic bowl and i do about 150 boolits at a time.its the simple way to shoot cast.i have only cleaned my bore one time all summer just for the heck of it.
all ive been shooting are the Lee c-358-rf boolits sized .001 over bore size and they are made from wheel weight lead.i shoot air cooled boolits and water quenched with about the same results.hornady 180 grain XTPs shoot alittle tighter but they cost alitle more than these boolits and i get some copper fouling with the jacketed boolits
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8bac58fbb422c76a8dd0bf7bb41fbc32/e833d4cf.jpg

jonk
09-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I too have yet to see any leading with LLA in a pistol with properly sized projectile. I have seen some in a rifle with a long barrel- just runs out of lube- or if you are pushing velocity. But for a handgun I say its good stuff; but a lot say otherwise. Just something you have to decide yourself.

medicstimpy
09-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I think it's a mix of lead and cheap lube from those cheap store bought bullets I got. I had lead deposits from them before but not this bad. I remember I used up all my TL-LLA's first and then tried to use up all those cheap ones. That would explain why my 45's didn't get fouled using the LLA, too.

I think I'm going to try getting a Lee 0.357" resizer for those 38 caliber bullets. Seems the others have had good luck with them and the 0.356" seems a bit loose going into a flared case.

Still, them 38's resized to 9mm are great. I'm greatful to the users here who let me know the idea was a good one.