PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Forcing Cones

BOOM BOOM
08-09-2005, 04:55 PM
HI,
I believe revolver forcing cones was discussed once on the old site, however I forget what the conclusion was. So here is my questions:
1) Just what is Taylor throughing?
2) What is the best forcing cone angle for revolvers shooting mostly lead bullets?

I seem to remember it was a 11 degree forcing cone angle was best, but I'm not sure.

Buckshot
08-10-2005, 03:00 AM
.............I can't say which is best as I have no idea. I have a buddy with the Brownells forcing cone cutter which is 11*. And I'd also read or seen it enough for it to stick, that the 11* was popular. I paid to have the Vaquero done (before my friend had the setup) and I did the one in my Ruger BH 357. In both cases I'd have to say it made an improvement in accuracy. Lessening the buildup in the cone area of the Vaquero is a fact.

..............Buckshot

Ron
08-10-2005, 05:47 AM
I don't know much about the technical side of revolvers, I leave that up to another member of our club who is a S&W armorer for our Force, What I do know is that earlier this year we were about 4 weeks out from the Australian Police and Services Pistol Championships which were to be held in Adelaide, South Australia, when our armorer decided to check all of the team members revolvers. There were very few which when cleaned with a forcing cone reamer did not give up a lot of built up lead. Subsequent practice saw a marked improvement in accuracy and tighter groups. We now make checking our forcing cones a regular part of our maintenance program.

Ron
FESTINA LENTE.

Bass Ackward
08-10-2005, 04:57 PM
HI,
I believe revolver forcing cones was discussed once on the old site, however I forget what the conclusion was. So here is my questions:
1) Just what is Taylor throughing?
2) What is the best forcing cone angle for revolvers shooting mostly lead bullets?

I seem to remember it was a 11 degree forcing cone angle was best, but I'm not sure.

Boomer,

A forcing cone is a funnel for misaligned throat / barrel relationships. If you have good alignment, the angle is of less importance. This is the theory or basis for shooting Keith style or undersized bullets for the cylinder throat. It provides them room to shift themselves. Anyone shooting Keith style, will seldom see a difference from a forcing cone angle cut ot taylor throating or fire lapping provided that they have no constriction under the frame.

Only someone filling their throat can really appreciate fire lapping or taylor throating. Here. Read this about revolver accuracy.

http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/revolver/default.htm

Char-Gar
08-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I have recut several score revolver forcing cones. Done properly, it will never do any harm and most often will produce some positive result either slight or even dramatic.

An 11 degree angle will indeed help funnel the bullet down the barrel. But IMHO the great benefit of recutting a forcing cone is removing the tool marks from the factory cone. A small rough cone will act like a file scraping metal from the bullet as it passes. Some factory cones look like they have been cut with a cast iron burr.

Taylor throating removes the rifling and produces a good cone, plus a long throat that is in effect a "free bore". The bullet travels at least it's own length after leaving the cylinder and before engaging the rifling. I have never done it. I have some friends that have, and some say they have seen an improvement in accuracy and others say they have not seen a change.

I have been very satisfied with the 11 degree cone I cut with the Powers/Brownells tool and have not felt the need to invest more money in tools to cut the Taylor Throat. However, Jim Taylor swears by the positive effect of the throat developed and named by his father. Jim's opinion on sixgun matters should never be dismissed as he does know what he is talking about.