PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Hat

lreed
04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I recon this ain't a big whoop for anyone but me,but I just got back from Ft Benning where I had the great honor of pinning the Airborne wings on my grandson,they have made a great young man a even better young man! Help me wish him and all the other men and women who are in the service of our country safety and success in their work. Thanks lreed

wch
04-21-2013, 04:52 PM
It takes a special kind of soldier to be an airborne trooper; the qualities that are necessary are inherent in the individual.
Airborne training doesn't impart these qualities, they are there in the individual in unrefined form and they are alloyed and strengthened by the instructors and the fire of the endeavor.
Your grandson has these qualities, and he has his family and the Lord to thank for them.
(And I respectfully disagree- it IS a big whoop, for all of us!)

waynem34
04-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Damn Right Congrats.Im proud for you bro.AB

alrighty
04-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Congratulations,Best Wishes,and a sincere Thank You to your Grandson and to all who serve.

472x1B/A
04-21-2013, 06:48 PM
My congratulations and a salute to your grandson lreed. His time in will go by too fast.

Just a few words of wisdom, please tell him to take care of his feet and hearing while serving his time. I regret not taking more care of these two very imporant items while I did my 20 years. Again, thank you.

Hamish
04-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Yeah it still makes a big whoop! Congratulations to him and to you.

76 WARLOCK
04-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Congratulations, one of my fondest memories is basic Airborne in 1968.

WILCO
04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah it still makes a big whoop! Congratulations to him and to you.

Ditto for me!!!!

runfiverun
04-21-2013, 08:10 PM
berets of any color are not easy to get.
I have a blue one and a maroon one.
the maroon one was the harder of the two to get by far.

congrats to both of you.

Circuit Rider
04-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Yes, it is a big deal to us also. I'll bet you were grinning from ear to ear. CR

shdwlkr
04-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Did Airborne Basic in 1970 my how time flies
Your grandson did well

H.Callahan
04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
I recon this ain't a big whoop for anyone but me

You couldn't be more wrong!

Congrats to your grandson and to you, as well!

elkhuntfever
04-23-2013, 12:12 PM
lreed, you couldn't be more wrong, it is a big deal. My son is a CW3 and I have had the privilege of being there for many of his accomplishment with the exception of this last one. It is one I will always regret not being there for it. Graduating from DLI twice, becoming a Dot etc.... I traveled to see it happen and will always remember how proud I was. Congrats to your grandson!!!!

KinkBreaker
04-23-2013, 12:30 PM
tell him i said thank you for his service

DxieLandMan
04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Congratulations! You have every right to be proud.

Arkansas Paul
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
I just got back from Ft Benning where I had the great honor of pinning the Airborne wings on my grandson

That right there is the good stuff.

MtGun44
04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Pass on congratulations. Everything I have heard is that Airborne is pretty difficult
to pass, and from a personal point of view, anybody that intentionally jumps out of
perfectly good airplanes is pretty brave.

runFive - Please explain the blue beret. Maroon is familiar, but the only blue beret I know
of is light blue and pretty sure you didn't wear one of those, altho I suppose some US troops
in Korea may have been under UN, not sure if US ever wears UN blue helmets or berets.

All my family contacts were USN, so little familiarity with USA uniforms until the last 20 yrs
near Ft. Leavenworth have had many Army officers as friends, but they are always out of
uniform when I see them.

Bill