PDA

View Full Version : Boolits that look dirty

charger 1
04-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I got a fairly new 500 grainer from mountain. My ole lee pot will cast anything just fine, but with this mold they all come up looking like they have little dirty inclusions. I don't mean wrinkles from cold pour. I mean grey little dirty looking spots. Good clean pot, with a good clean fluxed mix that casts other molds just fine. THOUGHTS?

Case Stuffer
04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Did you give the mold a very good cleaning with detergent( many use Ajax) and tooth brush followed by a very good hot water rinse and even behaps follow that with brake cleaner? Also some mold need to go thru several; heat cycles as in be brought up to casting temperature then left to cool then heated again before they work well.

charger 1
04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Did you give the mold a very good cleaning with detergent( many use Ajax) and tooth brush followed by a very good hot water rinse and even behaps follow that with brake cleaner? Also some mold need to go thru several; heat cycles as in be brought up to casting temperature then left to cool then heated again before they work well.

Ya I cleaned like wild. Going to go give er another go. Just don't have the patience for it quite yet

runfiverun
04-21-2013, 08:35 PM
how much tin do you have in the alloy?
a lot of big boolits will suffer from what some call tin poisoning from using a bottom pour.

tomme boy
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Is the mold aluminum? I get what looks like little spots all over my boolets until the mold has a good oxide coating on the cavities. Have any pictures?

KYCaster
04-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I get that a lot when bottom pouring heavy boolits. I ladle cast everything over 350 gr. and the problem goes away.

Jerry

DLCTEX
04-21-2013, 11:08 PM
If water dropping our hard water will put some ugly spots on boolits.

Lizard333
04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
See if you take a paper towel and wipe the boolits dry, if they look cleaner. Hard water will make my boolits look dirty if I water drop. How are the weights? If they are consistent, I would worry about it. Ugly boolits shoot just as well as those purity ones.

captaint
04-22-2013, 02:44 PM
The only time I had that condition, my lead was dirty AND it had too much antimony AND I had overheated it. Made a mess of some otherwise nice alloy. Mike