PDA

View Full Version : Boston bombers-the plot thickens

HarryT
04-21-2013, 10:51 AM
According to the Drudgereport, there's more terrorist out there. I'm shocked!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/boston-bombers-fbi-hunting-12-strong-1844844#.UXM54Yqm6hA.twitter

FBI hunting 12-strong terrorist “sleeper cell” linked to brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

TXGunNut
04-21-2013, 11:03 AM
No surprise. There are supposedly small cells acting independently, doubt anyone knows how many or where.

runfiverun
04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
it wouldn't be too hard to check the rolls of the local mosque to find out.
maybe one of these day's we will figure out that being p/c leads to death.
and that sunshine, rainbows, and lollipops don't work.

Bullshop
04-21-2013, 12:45 PM
If its true and there were merks there working for ? looking for dirty bombs that would mean the dirty bombs they were looking for will show up somewhere else. Who is next? This will be another lesson for them that think uncle can protect them. The one good thing to come of it is they are driving home the point of self defence/protection.
Another thing I would like to add is why have the first reports of bomb sniffing dogs and anouncments of " ONLY A DRIL" being stiffled? That was the very first thing I read about it right after the blast, then nothing. Was there some kinda double, tripple, quadrouple cross going on. Sting gone bad?

montana_charlie
04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Following the link in the o/p, I went off on some other rabit trails.
Ended up on a story which described the final capture of #2, but it had some actual words from the boat owner about how his part went down. At the end of his tale was this ...

Police immediately evacuated the family and surrounded the house, using a megaphone to tell Dzhokhar to come out with his hands up.

When he failed to respond they opened fire at the boat’s hull. Robert said: “They wound up *shooting a couple of rounds through the boat. He wasn’t going to like that.”
The reason I bring this up is because of it's similarity to another recent story about cops and their M16s.

The reporters on scene when that final volley was fired described it as 20 shots or thirty shots ... depending on who the reporter was. But, let's just call it twenty.

So ... you have twenty rounds fired, and the owner says only two rounds hit the boat.
Five (LAPD) cops put 150 rounds into a pickup truck and only hit one occupant one time.

In the LAPD shooting it is known that there were also many holes in other cars, garage doors, and rooves in that neighborhood.
I wonder where the other 18 (or 28) rounds went in Watertown.

I can see why they evacuate whole neighborhoods if they have the chance. It's because they know that, when cops start shooting, they have no idea where their rounds will go.

Firgive me if my observation has distracted from the discussion about possible terror cells.
That IS an important subject.

CM

MtGun44
04-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Red dots mounted backwards, probably. :bigsmyl2: SWAT teams in big eastern cities likely
have never seen a real gun until they were 25 or older. No clue about shooting
before police training.

Bill

fryboy
04-21-2013, 01:37 PM
i saw a foto of the boat yesterday ( it's red and cream/white ? ) blood on the driver's side fender , several holes thru the side ( kind of spaced out at that ) and a busted driver's side window ..altho the one with the remains of the tarp look pretty bad i'm sure that was because of the umm flash bang

TXGunNut
04-21-2013, 01:50 PM
..altho the one with the remains of the tarp look pretty bad i'm sure that was because of the umm flash bang -fryboy

Flash-bangs are quite effective at times but they do leave scorch marks and occasionally start fires. Rather unfortunate for the boat's owner, hope his insurance covers it. Could be an interesting claims process.

Kevin Rohrer
04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
If the boat-owner contacts the responsible PD, they will take care of the damage.

Blammer
04-21-2013, 03:03 PM
after I got the boat back I'd charge $50 for a 10 min look at it, no pictures. Probably make all your money back and then some from the reporters. :)

Bullshop
04-21-2013, 03:04 PM
OK poor boat guy buuuuuuuut what about the bomb sniffing dogs and the "just a drill" anouncments?

montana_charlie
04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Red dots mounted backwards, probably. :bigsmyl2: SWAT teams in big eastern cities likely
before police training.

Bill
Well, AFTER becomming fully trained, they still appear to act in ways that real firearm users would avoid.
These are the guys aiming at the boat ... maybe.

The guy with the rifle is about to blow out the eardrum of the guy with the white chevron on his back.
... and ...
Would YOU be the guy kneeling down in front?

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-130419-mass-shootout/ss-130419-mass-shootout-11.ss_full.jpg

1Shirt
04-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Ah yessssss, more immigration!
1Shirt!

runfiverun
04-21-2013, 08:26 PM
I remember the reporters saying people on scene mentioning a drill going on also.
they passed word on to some of the runners there was a drill happening and to not be alarmed.
they said this several times right when the bombs went off and were getting on scene statements.

Harry O
04-21-2013, 08:36 PM
There was a case in town here several years ago. A nutcase standing in his front door said he had a bomb in his house and threatened to kill everyone around. Every police department within driving distance showed up. There were around 100 cops surrounding the home within an hour. (the neighborhood had been evacuated by the first cops that showed up) After several hours, the nutcase walked out the front door and pointed a gun and the policemen out front. Everyone started shooting. There were several hundred rounds fired by the time the nutcase was on the ground -- dead. The autopsy showed that NONE of the handgun or rifle rounds fired had touched him. He died from a single shotgun blast of buckshot. And most of the buckshot missed him. Pictures showed that the entire front of the house and several neighborhood houses had holes in them.

Then there was another time that the local police missed the berm in their shooting range then missed our entire state. The bullets hit the next state over.

I don't even think that standing behind the average policeman is a safe bet when they are shooting.

gew98
04-21-2013, 08:46 PM
If the boat-owner contacts the responsible PD, they will take care of the damage.

Yeah ,ask how well that worked out for the two women that got "machinegunned" by the coppers looking for that dorner freak. They have yet to get compensated for their truck let alone both getting shot.

Cap'n Morgan
04-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Flash-bangs are quite effective at times but they do leave scorch marks and occasionally start fires. Rather unfortunate for the boat's owner, hope his insurance covers it. Could be an interesting claims process.

Probably a clause in the policy (in fine print) stating the insurance doesn't cover in case of terrorism involved. [smilie=1:

H.Callahan
04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Unless things have changed since I was an LEO a few decades back, police departments do not stress marksmanship. I had a half partner (I spent two days of my tour with him, two days with another officer and one day alone) that could not consistently keep all the rounds out of a S&W Mod 39 that he carried on a B-34 target at 7 yards. After months of work with him, I finally got him to the point that he could at least stay on the silhouette most of the time. You could forget scoring anything with him. I think a shotgun would have patterned tighter than he could.

Prior to joining the department he had never handled a gun in his life and, frankly, was a little scared of them. I think that contributed a lot to his problems. I really fear for both the police AND the military with recruits that have not been familiarized with guns prior to their service. This is becoming more and more common scenario as guns have been becoming "evil" in our society.

Bullshop
04-22-2013, 11:09 AM
It is beyond my understanding why someone that has a fear of guns would seek a carier in law enforcment.

PatMarlin
04-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I know if that were my Skipjack, none of those bullets would penetrate through the hull. To thick and all hand laid heavy fiberglass matt.

Hope he gets his boat back repaired soon.

leftiye
04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
..altho the one with the remains of the tarp look pretty bad i'm sure that was because of the umm flash bang -fryboy

Do insurance companies cover claims of damage to a house after a drug search rips the drywall apart?

deltaenterprizes
04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
before police training.

Bill
Saw that in a recent academy class

H.Callahan
04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
It is beyond my understanding why someone that has a fear of guns would seek a carier in law enforcment.Agreed. But, frankly, he was a decent cop outside of the fact that he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn even if he was shooting from the inside. I just kept my fingers crossed that I didn't get involved in a shootout while I was with him. I often joked that when he was shooting the only safe place on the range was in front of his target....

remington 3200
04-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Does that university cop have on real jackboots?

ncbearman
04-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Even rednecks can be terrorists. Look at pic 4 on this post. The town they were living in (Willow Springs) is a small farm town. Not much there. They are everywhere.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10163920/

Multigunner
04-23-2013, 03:38 AM
i saw a foto of the boat yesterday ( it's red and cream/white ? ) blood on the driver's side fender , several holes thru the side ( kind of spaced out at that ) and a busted driver's side window ..altho the one with the remains of the tarp look pretty bad i'm sure that was because of the umm flash bang

They tore the boat cover off with an extended pole device mounted on an armored riot vehicle.
If those were Flash Bangs then what I've been told about them being harmless noise makers cant be true.
The Flir images show two blasts that I took for pipebombs going off and a great deal of debris was flying around. Thats what blew the huge holes in the windscreen. Either flash bangs fell into a pile of trash in the boat or something blew up in a bag from the looks of it.

blackthorn
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Early on in this mess there was a post that mentioned there were a couple of bombs found that failed to go off. None of the news reports I have seen make any mention of them. Anyone know what's up with that??

km101
04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
It is beyond my understanding why someone that has a fear of guns would seek a carier in law enforcment.

I know from my experience in law enforcement that some people see it as an easy job that does not require a lot of hard work. Other see it as an easy route to authority, and some go into it with the intention of being part of the auxiliary services such as: jailer, communications, records, crime scene tech., etc. These people are in the minority, but they are there and they reflect badly on the rest of the force as far a firearms proficiency. Most officers may spend their entire career in law enforcement without firing a shot in anger, but the overwhelming majority are capable of handling firearms efficiently. This may not hold true with big city departments. I don't know as I have no experience in a big city dept.