PDA

View Full Version : A couple more buckets...

imashooter2
09-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Shot USPSA at the range that gives me the scrap from their indoor range on Sunday. This range is 75 miles up a toll road and I only get there a few times a year. I always borrow the wife's Impala for this one, having learned my lesson from hauling home 5 buckets in my '93 Mustang once. They had 3 buckets and I took them all (what else?). After we got home I let one go to my partner who is just starting out and still a little low on stock.

Anyway, a good day playing shoot and move games and couple hundred pounds of free lead to boot. Life could offer a lot less.:-D

targetshootr
09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
What percentage is j-worded? I've started picking up lead at our outdoor range and I'm not sure what to do the those. I read they'll make a pop as the lead melts inside. I'm surprised how much lead I've got over the course of several trips and I don't do any digging.

imashooter2
09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
With range scrap, every bucket is different. If I had to estimate this stuff over time though, it would be about 50% .22's, 25% jacketed and 25% commercial cast. No problem with jacketed popping from this indoor range scrap. They split and splatter on the armor plate backstop. For your outdoor scrap, you have 2 issues:

1) TMJ bullets that didn't split in the dirt backstop will build pressure in the jacket till it vents which can cause a little jet of molten metal to ruin your day.

2) Water can seep up between the jacket and core of FMJ, JSP or JHP and cause a steam explosion if you drop them into molten lead.

You can get past either of those by smelting in a heavy pot with a good lid and not adding new material to molten lead.

Free lead is free lead. Take it!

targetshootr
09-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I wish I'd been picking them up way before now, considering what lead costs per pound and the gas it takes to run around looking for ww. It adds up quick.

armoredman
09-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the tips - I am getting some range lead soon too.

Rottweiler
09-04-2007, 05:23 AM
1) TMJ bullets that didn't split in the dirt backstop will build pressure in the jacket till it vents which can cause a little jet of molten metal to ruin your day.

Don't ask how I know about that one...

TMJ's get a little bite from a pair of lineman's pliers to nick the jacket before they go into the pot here.

imashooter2
09-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Targetshootr, I've been known to pick a couple bullets off the surface when I walk to the backstop too... I usually just pick the cast bullets and leave the jacketed. 99% of the cast you pick up will be commercial cast and the alloy is usually Taracorp (92/6/2). I segregate that melt since I have relatively little of it and use it for rifle only.

Armoredman, if you are getting large quantities of outdoor scrap I recommend you turn the buckets out into a wheel barrow or onto a sheet of ply wood and load the pot with a long handled shovel. It really isn't practical to do large quantities without adding more material to already molten lead. Turning the material out of the buckets gives you a last chance to look it over for dud .22's. Loading it into the pot with a long handled shovel means you aren't standing right over the melt if something goes bad. I do it that way with my indoor scrap. So far, no surprises, but better safe than sorry!

MT Gianni
09-04-2007, 08:12 AM
A tap from a 4 lb hammer works well on TMJ's also. Gianni