PDA

View Full Version : Oh Canada

robpete
04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
67982 if you want some 22 at normal prices, go to Canada!

Reverend Al
04-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I can't help but think that your "shortages" in the USA are not really shortages at all ...
The local shop where I used to work before I retired 2 years ago put in an order for Federal ammo recently and they got about an 85% fill rate quite promptly, only a few weeks later as a matter of fact. This was all shipped out of two nearby wholesaler's warehouses and it was all "on hand and in stock". There have been some shortages on 9mm, etc., but in most cases up here in the land of "ice & snow" we can pretty much get what we want and when we want it. There are available stocks of powder, primers, brass, reloading equipment, and most calibres of ammo are on the retail shelves up here. Sounds to me like we're in WAY better shape than you are when it comes to availability ... and although there have been some nominal increases in prices (mostly due to rising costs of lead, copper, etc. for the manufacturers) I'd say that our retail prices are only up about 5% to 10% at the worst. Go figure ...

runfiverun
04-20-2013, 05:41 PM
the price of lead and copper are both down.
we don't have an availability issue we have a supply issue.
everything supplied is bought.

finstr
04-20-2013, 07:53 PM
I just bought 3 bricks (525) of Fed 22lr at Canadian tire for $25.75 each. What is this shortage you speak of?
Check this out:
https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/1108/pietta-pps-50-5000-round-case-of-22-lr-combo/

And this;
http://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=74819

alha
04-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Funny you mention it, I am going to be going to Cabellas in Canada, I have an order waiting for me up there of primers and some bullets. There is the PITA of the forms with the BATF that I am dealing with to bring it back across the border, since I am not a FFL, but that hopefully will be cleared up and approved soon. With what I am buying, I should be set for a good while, but it's nuts to think that I have to go out of the country to get items that are made here and shipped there, as well as their known issues with guns up there compared to here. Kinda amazing, but hey, I don't care, a 7 hour (each way) drive and I am GTG. I'll just take my bike up there and make it a nice ride to start the season. Now if only it would FINALLY warm up up here, and the stupid snow would go away.... Grrr.

robpete
04-20-2013, 09:10 PM
+1 for Canadian tire. Forms.......what forms??!! :)

alha
04-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Hehe yeah, but I don't want a very expensive pile of stuff confiscated at the border, plus whatever other ramifications may arise from trying to 'smuggle' that type of contraband into the US, especially with everyone so touchy after what happened in Boston. Probably enough to ruin a persons day, I'd suspect.

jonp
04-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Just to emphasize this point, DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE ALL PISTOL AMMO FROM YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE REACHING THE BORDER. Unless, of course, you have always been curious about what the inside of a Canadian jail looks like. They have no sense of humor on this point.

blaser.306
04-21-2013, 07:24 AM
We have been fortunate here! With the excption of the fact that winter has not even started to go away! Primers are now and since the "drought" started down south $34.99 a thousand , And powders have not changed in price or availability. As a matter of fact there are a couple of places that are currently holding sales to reduce current inventory before the new stock arrives! For Canada I think that 12 lb steel kegs of 4759 for $150.00 , 8 lb of 2400 for $110.00 , unique in 8 lb'ers $122.00, The Actual Canadian made 4227 8 lbs for $110.00, 5 lb of Blue dot for $65.00 . We seem to be doing alright ( for now )!

waksupi
04-21-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm planning a gopher shooting expedition this spring in Alberta. Although I will be using a flintlock mainly, I'll pick up some .22 just on general purposes while I'm up there. I have a PAL, so is no problem for me.
And it is still snowing here, too. Had to knock some weight off of my green house this morning.

jonp
04-22-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm planning a gopher shooting expedition this spring in Alberta. Although I will be using a flintlock mainly, I'll pick up some .22 just on general purposes while I'm up there. I have a PAL, so is no problem for me.
And it is still snowing here, too. Had to knock some weight off of my green house this morning.
I thought everyone needed the latest ultra death magnum and million round magazines to hunt gophers? At least thats what the magazines tell us.

historicfirearms
04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Any of you Ontario guys know of reloading supply places in Sault St. Marie, or maybe Sarnia or Windsor? I'm about four hours from them, but it might be worth a spring drive. Besides, I've had a Canadian $20 in my wallet for entirely too long.

waksupi
04-22-2013, 10:44 PM
I thought everyone needed the latest ultra death magnum and million round magazines to hunt gophers? At least thats what the magazines tell us.

I'm a bit of a Ludite. Last time I went up, I killed a few hundred with a flint lock, until my hands got too sore to load anymore. Then went to the .22.

10x
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm a bit of a Ludite. Last time I went up, I killed a few hundred with a flint lock, until my hands got too sore to load anymore. Then went to the .22.

A true Ludite would have used a long bow - fewer moving parts.

waksupi
04-23-2013, 01:57 AM
A true Ludite would have used a long bow - fewer moving parts.

I have done that before, I have a higher kill rate with the flinter!

alha
04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Just to emphasize this point, DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE ALL PISTOL AMMO FROM YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE REACHING THE BORDER. Unless, of course, you have always been curious about what the inside of a Canadian jail looks like. They have no sense of humor on this point. Just curious, you mean going into Canada from the US, or going back to the US from Canada? I didn't plan on bringing any ammo with me at all, either way, I just planned on going up there and getting the components. What is the deal with pistol ammo? Is it against the law to own up in Canada? Or just import/export?

10x
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Just curious, you mean going into Canada from the US, or going back to the US from Canada? I didn't plan on bringing any ammo with me at all, either way, I just planned on going up there and getting the components. What is the deal with pistol ammo? Is it against the law to own up in Canada? Or just import/export?

Going to Canada.
Homeland security does not allow export of even 1 .22 rimfire round in your floormats.
The Canadian Boarder security do not bother with ammo but have a real issue with gun owners that do not have the proper Canadian paperwork.
For more information on importing firearms and ammo into Canada while on a visit or on they way to Alaska call 1 800-731-4000.
Call your local batf/homeland security people to get the proper export permits from the U.S.

Free trade with Canada and the "open boarder" is simply a lie started by politicians.

slammer1
04-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Amen to the lies of free trade! As for a supply issue, the shops I frequent in Alberta are out of Hodgdon and other powders, bullet supplies are drying up. I'm not sure we've got it that easy here in the great white North...

alha
04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Well, at least they appear to just now be drying up, they have been a desert here for quite some time now. Hence the road trip, which I really don't mind, since I am going to be doing it on my bike. 12-13 hours will just fly by.. :)

ricksplace
05-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Just to emphasize this point, DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE ALL PISTOL AMMO FROM YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE REACHING THE BORDER. Unless, of course, you have always been curious about what the inside of a Canadian jail looks like. They have no sense of humor on this point.

This is not true. Remove the word "AMMO" from the above quote in caps and the statement is correct. Leave your pistols at home. No restrictions on owning pistol ammo up here.

zuke
05-05-2013, 08:49 AM
This is not true. Remove the word "AMMO" from the above quote in caps and the statement is correct. Leave your pistols at home. No restrictions on owning pistol ammo up here.

But why have the hassel of explaining it?
Sanitize your vehicle to avoid any B.S.

alha
05-06-2013, 12:11 AM
For me to purchase my primers and such up there, I need to have a form filled out, authorizing me to bring in a gun, and with this form I will be allowed to purchase the stuff at Cabellas (if only I had a FFL, I wouldn't need to do all this monkey business). I'm bringing my Ruger 10/22, empty of course. I don't need it up there, other than to get that form, to buy my stuff. At least I have a trailer for my motorcycle, it will fit in there just fine. The things one does to get supplies, I tell ya.. But to me, it's well worth it, and besides, it's on a bike, in the spring, it really doesn't get a lot better than that!

snaketail
05-06-2013, 10:31 AM
When you get to the Canadian border tell 'em you're going fishing. The Canadian border Mounties seem to love that - tell them you are there on business or going to buy their stuff and they'll get testy with you. I told them the truth and they took everything out of my SUV, rummaged through it and then said I was free to put it back - gee thanks.
And don't make the mistake of saying,"If I had told you I was going fishing I would have been out of here an hour ago!" They took my passport back inside and I waited another hour only to be told that I was allowed into Canada for just two weeks and that a notice had been placed on my passport and I was not allowed to hold a job or enroll in college while I was there - "Uh, OK." "And you have to surrender this special document I've attached to your passport with you leave the country." (US Border Patrol took it off and threw it in the trash saying, "If Canada wants it they can come get it - I'm not waling across the street for this.")
I had Texas plates on my car and got stopped by a Mountie every day.... And met some fine beer drinking police that way too.
I love Canada, but will avoid the control point north of Fargo, ND.

Wonder if Mexico has any .22 ammo?

dkf
05-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I have never had a problem getting into Canada.(besides the bitchy female customs agent I always seem to get) Getting back in the US is far more of a hassle and I have been searched many times despite the same trips every year, to the same place, same truck, same boat and etc. I must be one of those terrorists.[smilie=s:

jonp
05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Sorry, pistol ammo to me means self defense for the most part and that means hollow point. I would avoid having my vehicle stripped when a left over 357Mag round was seen on the dash but that's just me.

jonp
05-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I have never had a problem getting into Canada.(besides the bitchy female customs agent I always seem to get) Getting back in the US is far more of a hassle and I have been searched many times despite the same trips every year, to the same place, same truck, same boat and etc. I must be one of those terrorists.[smilie=s:

I grew up less than a mile from the border and my high school played it's home hockey games in Quebec. I also drive a truck for a living and have crossed the border in every province from Holton, ME to Blaine, WA multiple times. I even did a NH to WI run up through Montreal across Ontario and down through the Sault and back once a week for several years.
I actually had a conversation with a couple of different Canadian Customs Agents about pistol ammo and asked what about leverguns that can shoot 44Mag? I was told by every one of them that unless I like having my vehicle torn inside out looking for a handgun I would be better off just avoiding bringing in any ammo that can commonly be shot in a handgun. This does not include 22 ammo but does include 22 HP. All HP is not worth the mountain of trouble it is about to get you into.

BTW: I went on my weekly NH to WI run the week after 9/11. Not worth the trouble that I had on that one even though I crossed the border and saw the same people for a few years once a week before that day. The only guy that didn't search my truck was the National Guard guy helping out at the Border Crossing in Vermont and that was because I went to high school with him and the Customs guy there because I lived next door to him.

dakotashooter2
05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I don't have as much as a traffic ticket yet seem to get searched every time I cross. I almost always have a few .22 rounds rolling around on the floor and never have been questioned about it.

I-94 through ND is considered a major drug traffic route so they tend to check you over pretty good where it meets the border.

10x
05-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Transporting ammo out of the U.S. without the correct permits from homeland security is a very big no no.
Do not transport anything firearms related North into Canada without having the proper U.S. paperwork to export it.
The stuff has to be approved for export to Canada.
It is NOT the Canadian Boarder Security you have to worry about. It is the U.S. Homeland security agents who will take offense.

alha
05-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Huh, I was told that I could bring my rifle there, (actually needed to, to get the form that I needed to be able to buy the stuff at the store, otherwise they wouldn't sell it to me without said form) the big issue was coming back with the primers and such. I just emailed my ATF application person today since it's been a couple weeks since she got it and said that it appears to be in order, no obvious mistakes that would just cause unneeded delays, asking if she had any idea as to how long this process would take from here. Hopefully soon, Cabellas is starting to get a little itchy, though they just moved the store to a different location this week, so that bought me a little time.

I'm constantly amazed at how this entire process has worked out, I mean all I am doing is buying some stuff that was made in the US, trucked to a US store in Canada, sold to a US citizen, and am repatriating it back to the US. Now if I was talking about bringing in some weird missle/gernade launcher, bazooka, or whatever, that would be one thing, but to bring back something that is perfectly legal to buy here, that is made here, and the biggest guff I am getting actually appears to be coming from our side of the border when I come back across, that is pretty amazing. Oh well, guess we can credit the paranoia that started with 9/11, and has just gotten worse. It doesn't make sense, but then again, I suppose it doesn't have to, as long as it makes us appear 'safer'. But, if you want it, you have to play by the rules of the game, so we're waiting on all the hoops to be cleared. Hopefully it happens before Cabellas gets annoyed...

ihuntbear
05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
I went to my local gun shop to get pistol primers today..they told me they were sold out and didn't know when they would expect the back orders for them..they said they couldn't get any until they settle the dispute in the usa...whats going on down there?????

jonp
05-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I went to my local gun shop to get pistol primers today..they told me they were sold out and didn't know when they would expect the back orders for them..they said they couldn't get any until they settle the dispute in the usa...whats going on down there?????
I bought 2,000 LP at a gunshow this weekend. Plenty of primers and powder there. Your local shop is making excuses or just is not big enough to get in line.

nanuk
05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
We have been fortunate here! With the excption of the fact that winter has not even started to go away! Primers are now and since the "drought" started down south $34.99 a thousand , And powders have not changed in price or availability. As a matter of fact there are a couple of places that are currently holding sales to reduce current inventory before the new stock arrives! For Canada I think that 12 lb steel kegs of 4759 for $150.00 , 8 lb of 2400 for $110.00 , unique in 8 lb'ers $122.00, The Actual Canadian made 4227 8 lbs for $110.00, 5 lb of Blue dot for $65.00 . We seem to be doing alright ( for now )!

WHERE is this???

I've been looking and can't find a thing!

jonp
05-07-2013, 08:39 PM
WHERE is this???

I've been looking and can't find a thing!
Must have been near Raleigh, NC. Tons of powder at normal prices. Bullseye, Unique in 4lb jugs, 231, 296, H110 you name it and it was on hand.

nanuk
05-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Must have been near Raleigh, NC. Tons of powder at normal prices. Bullseye, Unique in 4lb jugs, 231, 296, H110 you name it and it was on hand.

Where in Canada?
Blaser.306 is in S'toon, just down the road from me.

alha
06-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Got the form back, in triplicate. Yaay! Planning the trip for the weekend after next. Cabellas will be elated. Just have to find the form I already filled out for the canadian border patrol, and it will all be 'in order'. I hope it goes as well as I have planned, but who knows? *crosses fingers*

alha
06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Well, it was a heckuva trip, but I made it home safe and sound. 710 miles yesterday and about 250 today. And yes Canada still does have ammo, both 9 and 22's. I saw a shelf of both while I was there, but wasn't smart enough to put it on my form, so I couldn't buy any. Crossing the boarder wasn't too bad, as long as the paperwork was all in order, which it was.

Most of it I ordered before I knew exactly what I was going to do, as well as before the complete dryup of the popular types of ammo. Hence the purchase of the factory Bullets; I knew I planned on reloading, but didn't know about Boolits when I did. Nor about making my own jacketed. Oh well, I'm pretty well set for a while, at least on primers.. ;-)