PDA

View Full Version : Solder

JudgeBAC
09-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I have 40 lbs of solder made on a roll of flat looking wire. Apparently solder is a mixture of lead and tin. How can it be used to cast bullets and what should it be mixed with and in what proportion?

montana_charlie
09-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Not all solder is just lead and tin. Are there any identifying features besides shape of the 'wire'?
CM

lathesmith
09-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Solder can be a variety of various mixtures of tin, lead, antimony, even copper and a few other things. Some is nearly pure lead, pure tin, and many mixtures in between. If the metal contents aren't marked, it will take some investigation and work to figure out what you have.

JudgeBAC
09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
No identifying features that I can discern. The wire is flat and about 1/4" wide. I cast some bullets with it just to see what they would look like. They fell out of the mold but you could use a gloved hand and squash them flat. Is this an indication of high tin content? How do I go about determining what it is?

montana_charlie
09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
I cast some bullets with it just to see what they would look like. They fell out of the mold but you could use a gloved hand and squash them flat. Is this an indication of high tin content?
Do I have this picture right?
I am imagining a solid bullet falling out that is made of something like warm modeling clay...that you can mash flat between your fingers.
Is that accurate?

If so, I have no idea what that indicates. Eutectic sloder, with 63% tin, won't do that...and neither will any other lead/tin solder mix

Did you weigh any of those bullets to see how they compare with those cast using your regular alloy?
CM