PDA

View Full Version : “ Nothing like prof in the lead!”

44 mag nut
04-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Was taking to some friends about this time last week. We talked about molds and who was looking at getting what. We talked about Lee, RCBS, Saeco and Lyman. I brought up that I ordered a NOE mold and was do to receive it any day. Well, we got together when it arrived and looked it over. They could not see a reason to spend that kind of money for a 2 banger mold. We got together today at my place and fired up the pot, it started out slow and is just one of those day you should just stop before you start. The mold was somewhat up to temp, the pot (730 degrees) would not let me pure very fast. I gave it the just try and see what happens. I tried the 1st few before it filled the mold. Used the lube that came with it and just started casting. Right out of the box, (after heat treatment) no tune up or anything, it dropped boolits after boolits after boolits with no more then a little shaking of the handles to get the boolits to drop off the HP pins. The rest of the old farts could not believe it was that easy to cast with. They all wanted to try it out. So I past the mold around like I was passing a cheap bottle of whiskey around a fire. When the silver stopped flowing, they all agreed to look at some of the custom mold vs the normal box store type molds. As one of them said “ Nothing like prof in the lead!”

WHITETAIL
04-20-2013, 07:14 AM
You betch cha!!![smilie=w:
I have 3 NOE moulds and they are all great.

41 mag fan
04-20-2013, 09:36 AM
One of several reasons Al is up to a year out on group buys.

cbrick
04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
What is the "prof" in your lead?

Rick

Bigslug
04-20-2013, 11:56 AM
"Prof" in the lead?:confused:

Is that when you take a college teacher and lower him into your pot of molten metal? If that is how your buddy is casting, no wonder his bullets aren't dropping out of the molds.:evil:

captaint
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
I just last week or so used an NOE H&G 34 clone mold. It was new and just sitting for like a year. Should have used it sooner. So nice to have boolits just fall out AND be the correct size, even !!! Really a nice mold. Mike

44 mag nut
04-20-2013, 12:41 PM
The old fart that said it is George and he is 97 and still casting. We will not let him cast by himself do to a accident a few years ago. So, he is the wise old fart of the group with a little fuzzy ducks starting to show. I'm planing on picking up a few other custom molds and letting George cast a few more. The rest of the old fart feel the same way.

Georges ducks were a little fuzzy at the end of the day, the pot was being a pain in the rear and a good time was had by all.
Nothing like a custom mold and good friends.

Bigslug
04-20-2013, 03:15 PM
This is a very interesting image, to say the least. I almost see a circle of hippies passing around something composed of a substance beyond their usual quality:

"WOWWWW MAAAN! This NOE stuff is DA BOMB! Where'd it come from dude, Columbia?"

"Nah, man, I got a bro makes it up in Utah. Sends me a box of it every couple months"

"DUUUUDE! You have GOT to hook me up with this guy! What's he charge?"

"Like a hundred-thirty bro. Not bad at all."

"One-thirty, for this? Dude! You're pot smoking!"

"No way man! That's all he charges"

"No, I mean your pot's smoking! What the hell are you fluxing with?"

montana_charlie
04-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Hippies didn't talk like that, but maybe their grandchildren do.
CM

cbrick
04-20-2013, 07:33 PM
As one of them said “ Nothing like prof in the lead!”

What is prof and why is it in the lead?

Rick

H.Callahan
04-20-2013, 07:45 PM
What is prof and why is it in the lead?

Rick
I think it was a typo. I think he meant it as a play on "The proof is in the pudding". Instead, "The proof is in the lead".

alha
04-20-2013, 07:47 PM
What he said ^

44 mag nut
04-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Not a typo, that is quote from George.