PDA

View Full Version : Bombs were loaded with Pyrodex according to CBS

Ohio Rusty
04-19-2013, 05:17 PM
I was watching the news live feeds today, and a John Miller from CBS came on and was yalking about the bombs. He said they were filled with 'Pyrodex, a substitute low grade smokeless powder available anywhere'.
Pyrodex isn't smokeless powder. It is a substitute, but for black powder. So now any place that sells pressure cookers and Pyrodex will stop handling both probably ...... Pyrodex now got a bad rap for being the powder ..... Soon nothing shooters use will be safe.
Ohio Rusty ><>

M-Tecs
04-19-2013, 05:50 PM
More ignorant BS http://cocomoeawc.newsvine.com/_news/2013/04/17/17793033-did-right-wing-patriot-teabaggers-bomb-the-boston-marathon

km101
04-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Sen. Lautenberg (D-NJ) is already saying that he will revive his 2003 legislation to require background checks on anyone purchasing black powder or smokeless powder. He introduced this legislation in '03 and it was defeated. After this incident he has a much better shot at getting it passed. We need to contact our legislators about this too!

Lautenberg will introduce the “Explosive Materials Background Check Act,” which will:

· Require a background check to purchase black powder, black powder substitute, smokeless powder, or any other explosive, in any quantity;

· Provide the Attorney General with the authority to stop the sale of explosives when a background check reveals that the applicant is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General reasonably believes that the person may use the explosives in connection with terrorism; and

· Make it illegal to manufacture homemade explosives without a permit.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-19-2013, 06:28 PM
so what i need to stock up on Pyrodex now and Shock Wave bullets
:veryconfu

Bad Water Bill
04-19-2013, 06:28 PM
If it is proved to be a homebrew explosive I hope any and all products slandered take the authors and the media they work for into court and sue them into bankruptcy.

khmer6
04-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Pretty soon there will be a background check to fill up your tank at the gas station.....

Multigunner
04-19-2013, 06:37 PM
I was watching the news live feeds today, and a John Miller from CBS came on and was yalking about the bombs. He said they were filled with 'Pyrodex, a substitute low grade smokeless powder available anywhere'.
Pyrodex isn't smokeless powder. It is a substitute, but for black powder. So now any place that sells pressure cookers and Pyrodex will stop handling both probably ...... Pyrodex now got a bad rap for being the powder ..... Soon nothing shooters use will be safe.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Pyrodex may be technically a smokeless powder, though it does give off some smoke.
When I used it for awhile I found it much harder to ignite reliably than BP, and had to obtain no.11 nipples for by 51 colt replica and use no.11 caps.
When I tried using it as blank charges in a .41 deringer no amount of wadding would provide enough compression for ignition. The charge was simply blown out the muzzle by the cap without igniting.

They managed to get a reasonable blast effect by using the pressure cooker to provide back pressure, and possibly used a primary ignition charge of some other powder.
Pyrodex would be the least reliable and effective powder to use for a bomb like this.

Like the spetsnazt guy said about the Tokarev not having a safety "is gun is not supposed to be safe".

No law against building bombs has detered any bomber from doing so in the past. If a medieval grunt could mix his own powder for his culvern in the field any reasonably intelligent sixth grader can do the same.
All the ingrediants can be obtained and refined using nothing more than a shovel and a cooking pot.

dakotashooter2
04-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Does that mean all FARMERS will be required to have background checks?

Multigunner
04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Does that mean all FARMERS will be required to have background checks?

Last I heard they already track and investigate large purchases of Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer. In this state they track and investigate large purchases of Anhydrous Ammonia gases used in the manufacture of crystal Meth. Meth cookers have taken to robbing farms to obtain some chemicals they need.

firefly1957
04-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Here it is hard if not impossible to find ammonium nitrate already , i wonder if the media will ever ask a politician if it makes any sense to pass a law to make doing something illegal more illegal !

runfiverun
04-19-2013, 08:21 PM
hmm,, cnn blurbed it was military grade explosives.

lksmith
04-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Sen. Lautenberg (D-NJ) is already saying that he will revive his 2003 legislation to require background checks on anyone purchasing black powder or smokeless powder. He introduced this legislation in '03 and it was defeated. After this incident he has a much better shot at getting it passed. We need to contact our legislators about this too!

Lautenberg will introduce the “Explosive Materials Background Check Act,” which will:

· Require a background check to purchase black powder, black powder substitute, smokeless powder, or any other explosive, in any quantity;

· Provide the Attorney General with the authority to stop the sale of explosives when a background check reveals that the applicant is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General reasonably believes that the person may use the explosives in connection with terrorism; and

· Make it illegal to manufacture homemade explosives without a permit.

Guess that means an end to my beloved tannerite targets that send a tingle down my leg when they go off

elkhuntfever
04-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Yea, it has started already. I stopped by Lowes to buy a 50 pound box of 16 penny nails and they had to do a background check.:veryconfu

lksmith
04-19-2013, 08:28 PM
hmm,, cnn blurbed it was military grade explosives.

I really hope it was. That stuff is a PITA to obtain even with an explosives license working for a DOD contractor that makes warheads (I know from experience) and it'd put the stink on the gov't itself. but the lap dog media would never allow it.

bubba.50
04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
they had to use pyrodex. that's all Wal-Mart sells. ain't this a kick? my computer auto-caps Wal-Mart!

uscra112
04-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Without we have a completely independent chemical analysis of the residues, we will never know for sure.

Gliden07
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
If this is true the Brothers Grim could have done a 1 stop shopping spree at Walmart!!

TCLouis
04-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Like so many politicians Sen. Lautenberg (D-NJ) irritates with his ignorance or stupidity or both.

Short rant ended

NSP64
04-20-2013, 12:13 AM
I saw a pressure cooker at wally world. $26.00.
I wouldn't pay that to make a crappy bomb!

Steelbanger
04-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Contact my senators?? Casey hasn't voted for me, never. Our other PA senator is Toomey the Traitor. My last contact with these two weasels was this week when I told them I would work against both when they run for reelection. Two of the most disappointing elected officials and both think they're doing a fine job representing me.

MtGun44
04-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Once again living up to their "See-BS" nickname.

Bill

Freightman
04-20-2013, 09:28 AM
They are going to keep on coming at us until we vote them out or they win, so if you thought there was going to be peace after this week think again. All of us better get involved in the next election or the next two years will make the last ones seem like a pro gun owners convention. Remember we are only one generation away from "SLAVERY"

lksmith
04-20-2013, 11:08 AM
They are going to keep on coming at us until we vote them out or they win, so if you thought there was going to be peace after this week think again. All of us better get involved in the next election or the next two years will make the last ones seem like a pro gun owners convention. Remember we are only one generation away from "SLAVERY"

I got involved in the last 3 elections but it didn't help we still have the same folks that I voted against and everybody I know voted against

DLCTEX
04-20-2013, 02:23 PM
So , are you giving up? No! Work harder.

MOcaster
04-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Well, I think Lowes should be sued into bankruptcy because they sell everything needed to make black powder. [smilie=1:

deep creek
04-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I dont think the news media knows the differance between a pound of pyrodex and a pound of sand.Now theres an idea:mrgreen:

Dale in Louisiana
04-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't know about other cities, but in the last few days I've seen reports out of the New Orleans area where they've gone into full panic mode over "suspicious unattended packages". One was a bag of trash, another a bag of dirty clothes.

Think about it: You evacuate a few blocks and roll the SWAT team and a bomb squad to find out that somebody dropped a bag of trash off.

Yeah, the terrorists have won.

Blogged it. (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=20753)

dale in Louisiana

Superfly
04-20-2013, 08:33 PM
We Should ban Evertyhing i mean everything Then watch them Bitch and piss and moen

bob208
04-21-2013, 09:20 AM
we have cbs why do we need the batf ? oh i get it why confuse things with the facts or an invistation ? just print what you want it to be.

jlchucker
04-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Like so many politicians Sen. Lautenberg (D-NJ) irritates with his ignorance or stupidity or both.

Short rant ended

Anyone with a good knowledge of the current Immigration Laws will remember the mess made by the Lautenberg ammendment to an amnesty law about 25 years ago. This made a real mess for the then INS and opened a can of worms that backlogged them for a decade.