PDA

View Full Version : .430 Boolits and gas check issue

mdevlin53
04-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Need a little help here, I bought a lee 430-310 GC mold and when I bought it I also ordered some 44 cal gas checks but they are very loose. After running them through the .430 sizer they are still loose. di I order the wrong ones or is there something I don't know about here.
please help me figure this out.

44man
04-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Need a little help here, I bought a lee 430-310 GC mold and when I bought it I also ordered some 44 cal gas checks but they are very loose. After running them through the .430 sizer they are still loose. di I order the wrong ones or is there something I don't know about here.
please help me figure this out.
The portion of the mold where the GC goes is too small. Call Lee.

turmech
04-19-2013, 07:13 PM
What alloy are you using? Higher antimony content will increase diameter of the bullet and the gas check area. The mold temp to hot can also cause small size. Was your sizing die engaging the bullets and doing any sizing?

mdevlin53
04-19-2013, 07:22 PM
I am going to do some measuring tomorrow but I think they might have cast a bit small. I am using 20-1

stubshaft
04-20-2013, 01:59 AM
I'd be really surprised if you got .430 in a Lee mold with 20-1.

44man
04-20-2013, 08:06 AM
That boolit needs shot pretty fast. 20 to 1 will not work very good.
A GC will fit a .429 boolit so even if it cast .0005" small, the check should still crimp on.
It should not matter what alloy is used.

mdevlin53
04-20-2013, 08:27 AM
I am sure it is the alloy I have an older mold and the boolits are also a bit small, the .430 sizing die is barely shining up the driving bands. I am planning on using these in a .444 rifle. I will have to brew up a batch of alloy with a higher tin content. I shoot most of rifles with BP or low velocity smokeless loads so most of them do fine with the 20-1.

44man
04-20-2013, 10:58 AM
I am sure it is the alloy I have an older mold and the boolits are also a bit small, the .430 sizing die is barely shining up the driving bands. I am planning on using these in a .444 rifle. I will have to brew up a batch of alloy with a higher tin content. I shoot most of rifles with BP or low velocity smokeless loads so most of them do fine with the 20-1.
OK, soft is good. Tin will not increase size. I still think the mold needs fixed. You can lap it yourself to get a better GC fit.
I have seen molds all over the place with GC fits.

Iowa Fox
04-20-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm going to take a guess on this as it sounds mirror image to my first casting with that mold. On mine I'm pretty sure I didn't get the mold or sprue plate clean enough before my first casting. In fact I know I didn't as I was in a hurry and followed Lee's instructions. What was happening for me is the bullet bases did not want to fill out 100% leaving a visible small gap between the edge of the mold and base of bullet. When I ran them thru the 430 sizer with Hornady checks a few would be loose. I had a bag of Gators and those would crimp on tight. Since then I have soaked the sprue plate and mold in my cleaner and then gave it a couple of good scrubbings of hot water and Zud with a toothbrush. I also gave it the slightest bevel of the parting line of the mold blocks to vent the base. I haven't cast with it since as I just don't need or use very many of those heavy weight wrist breakers. I really need to beagel it or lap to 433.

mdevlin53
04-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Seeing as I have two of these molds I will read up on the beagle process and give it a try on the old mold, If it works out I can always do it on the new style lee mold as well.

44man
04-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Gee, I have not heard the word Zud for a long time. The former owner of my house used it. He eventually removed all the finish from the cast iron tub.
I think it was sand and soap!

oldfart1956
04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
I'll bet with a little bit of lapping (use the search feature!) that mold will get big enough to fit the check proper. One thing I love about the Lee molds is they're so easy to modify. With some Comet or other rough cleanser and a few boolits out of the mold...a few minutes with a drill and bing! All better. Since you said "some are loose" this is the way I'd go. How much you lap is up to you. I've got the Lee .405h.b. (originally dropping at .459) dropping beautiful boolits at .463+ and it only took a few minutes. :) I actually used NAPA/Permatex valve lapping compound (150 grit!!!) on this mold. I have no patience. But Comet works slower and less likely to go overboard and makes a fine finish lapping compound. Audie....the Oldfart..