PDA

View Full Version : Tour of Duty, the TV series

Boz330
04-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I really enjoyed this series when it was on. I stumbled across it on youtube. If you are interested you can go to this link and find a number of episodes in the adjacent column. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOLegsfoJ4

Bob

beagle
04-19-2013, 11:39 AM
There are also series CDs on E-Bay. Pretty good series./beagle

oldred
04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
The idiots that be somewhere along the line decided to change the musical background in the DVD version and for me totally ruins the show, what happened to the original theme (Paint it Black by the Stones)? In fact all the 60's music has been removed!

square butte
04-19-2013, 11:55 AM
I noticed they did the same thing with the music for Beverly Hillbillies. No longer Earle Scruggs and the Ballad of Jed Clampett. Must be something regarding royalties and licensing.

missionary5155
04-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Greetings
Yeh money and the love of it "one each" will get things boggled every time.
Used to get to watch "Tour" down here before Venesuela bought up all the cable stations and turned everything good off the network. First to go was FOX. Then any wholesome program that emphasized morals, patriotism and Godliness. Now it is the mindless dribble LIB.
You Tube does serve a purpose off and on.
Mike in Peru

DxieLandMan
04-19-2013, 12:17 PM
I watched the show religiously and noticed that the DVD did cut out Paint it Black. Luckily I also have it on VHS with the original music.

Boz330
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
The idiots that be somewhere along the line decided to change the musical background in the DVD version and for me totally ruins the show, what happened to the original theme (Paint it Black by the Stones)? In fact all the 60's music has been removed!

I noticed that as well but if you notice the subtitles it was probably done for the intended audience. I really liked the original but it probably means nothing to the Spanish audience watching it. I was just glad to run across it.

Bob

archmaker
04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I bought the DVD set all three of them and I know that it does not contain all the episodes. There is one episode that is stuck in my mind that I know is not on the DVD sets. The one where they had a baby with them and it died at the end.

Heavy
04-19-2013, 05:50 PM
I was with the 3d battalion, 21first Infantry, Charlie company, which made up a part of the 196th light Infantry brigade in 1969. We were called the burning worm. Terrance Knox was at our last reunion at Buffalo NY. The TV series was based on the 196th L.I.B. The series was filmed in Hawaii with help of our training officers. Wish I could say the show was true to life; but not so. However it was a good series from the few episodes that I watched.

abunaitoo
04-19-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm still waiting for "China Beach" to come out on DVD.

coblake
04-19-2013, 11:55 PM
I grew up on Tour of Duty, loved it. I scored a "date" in fifth grade from a girl that also watched it. We talked and laughed about that maybe 14 years ago. She said, "I loved (character with blue eyes) and I said, "I can only remember him eating cold C rations and being thankful for them". I married someone else. China Beach was good too.

10x
04-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Had a couple of friends that did the expense paid tour in the late '60s. Their comment was that the show left out the nasty bits. Things like the guy on point missing a trip wire, or knocking the valve off of a propane bottle before dropping it into a tunnel system then watching most of the huts in the village catch fire...

Lloyd Smale
04-21-2013, 06:20 PM
never could figure out why it got canceled. It was a great show much better then some of the **** that goes on year after year.

Aces an Eights
04-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Enjoyed the series, along with the movies it inspired me to go on a tour of Vietnam and see the places in person. Came away with even more respect for the vets and the ***** horrors they went through.