PDA

View Full Version : to tang sight or not tang sight.

samwithacolt
04-18-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm restoring an 1894 .38-55 with a 26" barrel. I like the idea of a "Creedmore" style
adjustable tang peep sight. I want to hunt with this occasionally, but mostly shoot gongs.
Anyone using one? do you like it? I tried one on my .32 win a few years ago, but found that the peep was hard to use in low light and was in the way when folded down(I had my buckhorns set for 100 yds, peep for 200)
Your thoughts on their practicality for hunting?

runfiverun
04-18-2013, 10:47 PM
I really prefer peep sights that mount on the frame.
tang sights alway's seem to be in the way of my hands, and I always forget to re-set them at inopportune moments.

samwithacolt
04-18-2013, 11:02 PM
That's what I found, but the tang sight just looks cool. I imagine that 120yrs ago, someone put a tang sight on their 1894 and got s******ed at as a "mall ninja".

BCRider
04-19-2013, 03:54 AM
You can buy different size aperatures. Or for a bit more cost put on one with a selectable aperature size.

For hunting go with a much larger one and use it more as a ghost ring sort of sight. It means you'll want to center the front bead in the sight opening. But you really should be doing that anyway.

If you can manage to get sights with matching screw spacing on the bases you could have a Lyman or Williams single post style peep for hunting and with 3 minutes and a couple of screws switch to the twin upright vernier style for range work. And if you can't find a pair of sights with matching bases then it's always possible to adapt one to match the other. A new hole or slightly slotting one which is close.

ajjohns
04-19-2013, 08:15 AM
I use a tang sight on my Winchester 92. In 25/20. I like it a lot but I do find my thumb in the way sometimes when I'm in a hurry. I get the best sight picture with the bigger aperture and I shoot the the most accurate with it on paper also. But if I take my time and not get in a big hurry, hunting with it is better to me than the semi buckhorn rear.

Hardcast416taylor
04-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Check out the Lyman or Marble`s tang peep sights. They have larger orficies for easier acquisition than "creedmore" style sights.Robert

Marvin S
04-19-2013, 08:00 PM
All of my vintage lever guns as well as pumps wear either tang or receiver sights, about a dozen or so. With the mid sight removed and a blank installed. So yea I like them, especially when you don't see as well as you use to.

Edm
04-20-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a Lyman on my 94 Winchester. It helps a lot. On my guide gun it has an Ashly peep that was on it when I got it. I like the looks of the tang site better but both work well.

detox
04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
The longer sight radius of the tang sight really improves accuracy. I like the Marbles version, because it has windage adjustment (Lyman does not have windage adjustment). I really like the tang mounted peep sight for both target and hunting.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174097/marbles-tang-peep-sight-winchester-53-55-64-65-1892-1894-steel-blue
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/735034/marbles-improved-tang-peep-sight-screw-set-3-blue

My 94 was first sighted in using factory open sights, then i installed and adjusted the tang sight windage and elevation until factory sight picture appeared. This will get you on paper until you do final adjustment. I did not remove factory rear sight...no need to.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?194651-My-New-Marbles-Tang-Sight-(Win-94)

Dan Cash
04-20-2013, 10:59 PM
The Lyman and Marble tang sights are rot reliably repeatable to shoot gongs at any but relatively close range. I had a base made so that I could install my Hoke vernier sight on a Marlin 336 and for target work, it works extremely well. A taller front sight may be required with an aperture sight on lever guns.

The set up is not suitable for hunting as the vernier sight is not robust enough for hunting conditiouns and firing the rifle with the vernier or other tang mounted sight folded down can be hazzardous to the eye.

missionary5155
04-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Greetings
Have two 94's pre 1920 in 38-55 and both wear a tang sight. I also prefer the Marbles with windage ajustment. Use the origonal rear sight for out to 100 yards. Set it to hit dead on at 100 yards. Then the tang sight figure out what your next real life hunting limit shot is. For me I do not see a shot beyond 150 yards with a 38-55 255 grainer chugging along at 1350 fps. So my tang sight is set fo that range. Any critter out to that 150 range is going to hurt bad.
Practice will fill in that 125 yard shot.
Have never had a tang sight break while hunting. But then I try not to drop my rifles. Use the system on a weekly basis and it will become second nature.
Mike in Peru

StrawHat
04-21-2013, 06:36 AM
My preference, never tried anything different because, for me, this works.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Misc/1895006.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/StrawHat/media/Misc/1895006.jpg.html)

bob208
04-21-2013, 09:31 AM
i have some 94's with the tang sight i find it usefull and not in the way. the sight i like most is the long side mount sight. they made them for the 94's i have one. you see them mostly on 95's.

NSB
04-21-2013, 09:46 AM
You could consider a ladder sight to replace the existing rear sight. Folded down it gives you the traditional rear sight and raised up gives you the options of adjusting for different distances. Just a thought.

Dan Cash
04-21-2013, 01:21 PM
i have some 94's with the tang sight i find it usefull and not in the way. the sight i like most is the long side mount sight. they made them for the 94's i have one. you see them mostly on 95's.

Providence Tool copy of the Lyman 21. It works very well and is very robust. I only have to live long enough to wear the finish to match my 95.

TXGunNut
04-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I really like the looks of a tang mounted sight but the leverguns I take to the range or field without optics have a receiver mounted sight or an aperture mounted on the rear sight. At some angles my thumb gets in the way and I have some concern about damage with a tang sight. A tang sight would be useful for longer range shots but I don't use my leverguns for that, 100 yds is as far as I shoot with an iron sighted-levergun.
A tang mounted sight may also look more "period correct" on an older rifle, is it D&T'd for tang or receiver sights?

6pt-sika
04-21-2013, 03:44 PM
When I had all the Marlin Cowboys I had Lyman tang sights on them all . I killed deer with the 1895CB and 336CB's while using tang sights . As long as the gun doesn't have a huge amount of recoil tang sights were okay by me !

I am however a bigger advocate of the reciever peep sights over the tang sight .

Now with that being said I truely love having old Pre 1920 Marlin's (and Winchesters) with period correct tang sights !

Bob Busetti
04-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I have tang sights on a Browning 1895 30/06 and a 1876 Chapparal 50/95. Love them.
Bob

Lloyd Smale
04-22-2013, 06:00 AM
same here. Cant stand a tang sight. It makes a gun ill handling when fast work is needed. I prefer an apature and like the lyman best especially if you can find one of the old steal ones
My preference, never tried anything different because, for me, this works.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Misc/1895006.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/StrawHat/media/Misc/1895006.jpg.html)

StrawHat
04-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Hello Straw Hat,
What kind of finish is that? It looks good and durable.
Bill

Just a simple hot blue. But the metal was not overly polished. I do not recall what the final grit was but let's call it a medium finish. This rifle was rebuilt about 12 years ago and has held up well. Thanks for noticing.

hornady308
04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
I have both tang and receiver sights. For whatever reason, I prefer tang sights on rifles with long barrels and peeps on carbines. So, the 24" Rossi wears a Taurus tang while the 18" Winchester 94 has the peep. Just the way it should be...

trapdoor1873
04-24-2013, 12:39 AM
68301 Don't buy the new marbles sight. Hunt around and fine an original. You will spend a few dollars more and be much more satisfied. The new Marlbles sights are junk. I own one and will never buy another.

gnoahhh
04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I automatically install tang sights on every lever gun that falls into my hands (usually Savage 1899's), and remove the barrel sights. I like them for all the reasons mentioned above. Windage adjustable tang sights such as the Lyman 30½ for Savages, and the Lyman 103, are wonderful but pricey- so I save my nickels until I can afford one.

There's no reason to bemoan their use in low light, an extra aperture or two in the pocket with which to adapt to changing light conditions is simple and cheap. A Merit disc with variable iris is even simpler (but admittedly pricier).

labradigger1
04-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Glad to read the posts, been trying hard to decide on tang or reciever for my 43 94 30wcf. The reciever is not drilled for sights and i just cannot bring myself to do it yet. I am thinking tang and when i do wear the perfect blueing off from shooting it all the time then maybe reciever. Something has to give, eyes arent as sharp as when i wore a younger mans clothes.