PDA

View Full Version : My local gun shop is off my good list.

dbosman
04-18-2013, 08:49 PM
I got to spend a small bit of time there today. I'll continue to buy NOS parts, but no ammo, no primers anymore and no guns.

I never begrudge a small shop charging more than the chains, and it use to be nice folks. Unfortunately they're selling everything they can get in, in small pistols, black rifles, and ammo. I can't image who they're going to sell to if this panic lets up.

Old or vintage.22 rifles that sold for $60 a couple of years back are marked $400 each across the rack.
A sporterized 30-06 - Eddystone receiver, $400 asking price.
50 round boxes of an off brand .22 long rifle are marked -and selling- for $15.00
Primers are $5.99 per hundred, limit 5 sleeves of any size. Zero 1000 packs.
Powder is about three times list online. They did have one container each of about 2 dozen numbers. No Red Dot, Bullseye, or W231.

Someone called for a price on .380 ammo. This store sold scores of those in the last two months mostly to women as small concealables. 25 round boxes are $35.00 But they do have it in stock.

OMG is about all I can add.
Thanks for letting me rant.

justing
04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
i am glad my lgs has kept the price of ammo reasonable, and only went up a little on his guns.

plmitch
04-18-2013, 08:57 PM
never dull here..........

Beagle333
04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Maybe it's an auction. I'll start with $5 dollars!!! [smilie=s:

*what we biddin' on?*

Ben
04-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Deleted

GARD72977
04-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Im sure the small shop cannot buy anything at a reasonable price. If they do not mark up the price and make what they can then they will go out of business. Im not paying the inflated prices but I don't hold it against the local shops that are trying to keep the doors open.

dale2242
04-19-2013, 06:34 AM
I`m not sure of the legality of it but, our small LGS is buying bricks of 22lr ammo from locals for $50.
They are them selling the 50 rnd boxes for &6.99.
He is selling all he can get his hands on.....dale

Wis. Tom
04-19-2013, 08:22 AM
This keeps up long and soon, you won't have these shop around, to complain about, as they will all close. No product to sell=no pay bills= closed down. The govt. has got to be very happy about this, as a byproduct of this "crisis".

Harter66
04-19-2013, 08:36 AM
FWIW personal defense ammo has been over a buck a pop for 8-9 years.

eljefe
04-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Do you think they should charge less than what
they are able to get for their goods?

The last time I got primers, from Midway, I was
allowed one case...no powder I wanted was in stock,
so my cost was a little over $180. I don't think $6 per
hundred is out of line.

I also don't think it is fair to compare a lb of powder
bought locally to online prices...there is no hazmat fee
for the local purchase.

By the way, I am a dealer, and can totally understand
what it is to try to stay in business during this panic.
Product is scarce, and anyone with any understanding
of basic supply and demand knows that prices will increase.
This shortage, in my opinion, is totally on the shoulders
of the buying public.

Kraschenbirn
04-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Our one and only 'LGS' has always been a rip-off...but he's got the luxury of being "the only game in town." Seriously, not counting 'big box' stores (no handguns or reloading stuff) and a couple of pawnshops, there's only one other 'brick & mortar' gun dealer in the entire county (1000 sq. mi./200,000+ pop.) and it's a part-time operation carrying only a (very!) limited inventory of ammo/reloading supplies.

Bill

H.Callahan
04-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Our one and only 'LGS' has always been a rip-off...but he's got the luxury of being "the only game in town." Seriously, not counting 'big box' stores (no handguns or reloading stuff) and a couple of pawnshops, there's only one other 'brick & mortar' gun dealer in the entire county (1000 sq. mi./200,000+ pop.) and it's a part-time operation carrying only a (very!) limited inventory of ammo/reloading supplies.

Bill

So, whereabouts in Champaign County are you?

Freightman
04-19-2013, 12:49 PM
I am afraid that a lot of small shops are on their last leg, and when all shakes out there will be a lot less IMHO.

km101
04-19-2013, 01:04 PM
My one-and-only LGS is really having a hard time finding ANY kind of product, not just ammo, primers, powder, etc. He said the other day that he is having to use income from current sales to pay bills, rather than replace stock, because sales have been so slow with not much to sell and nothing coming in to replace what he does sell. He said that if this keeps up, he will be out of business in another 6 months. This a man who has been in business for 15 years, so he is not a novice and has had a successful business up to now. I think there are many LGS in this shape. If so, there will be fewer places to shop soon!

jcwit
04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
And of course when this all sorts out there will be those who open new retail stores.

Just because a business goes out of business doesn't mean no one will ever try to replace it.

Altho it is to bad for the 1st store, but life goes on.

Wis. Tom
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM
They will open another gun store, only if the govt. allows them to. We aren't talking about a non regulated place here. Do you think it's going to get easier to do business with the ATF?

jcwit
04-19-2013, 01:53 PM
They will open another gun store, only if the govt. allows them to. We aren't talking about a non regulated place here. Do you think it's going to get easier to do business with the ATF?

I have no way of predicting the future, time will tell. Its entirely possible the whole political climate will change, 50 years ago who would have ever thought our society would be in the shape its now in?

nicholst55
04-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I am afraid that a lot of small shops are on their last leg, and when all shakes out there will be a lot less IMHO.

Exactly. They can't compete in this market unless they're willing to do whatever it takes to keep the lights on and the door unlocked. One of our local shops already closed up for good, because he can't get product - at least for what he's willing to pay.

I say support the small local shops, or else they won't be around later on. You'll have less options available and the big guys **WILL** charge whatever they feel like as a result.

Kraschenbirn
04-19-2013, 04:24 PM
So, whereabouts in Champaign County are you?

Just (barely) beyond the north edge of the People's Republic of Urbania...domain of the Honorable(?), Mayor-for-Life Prussing and all her nefarious minions.

Bill

shooter93
04-19-2013, 06:04 PM
This is one of those mixed bag issues. While I may not like the raising of prices well beyond reasonable levels (if there is such a thing) but we are also a Capitalist country and it's the good old supply and demand thing.

H.Callahan
04-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Just (barely) beyond the north edge of the People's Republic of Urbania...domain of the Honorable(?), Mayor-for-Life Prussing and all her nefarious minions.

Bill
Well, at least you are "beyond", even if just barely....

Down South
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
My LGS still charges the same prices plus manufactures mark ups. The problem is, he can't get much in. He just got a Ruger Mark III Hunter in for me that's been ordered for several months. Now if he can just get 22 ammo in, that's another problem.