PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 unique load with CB and filler

Muskyhunter1
04-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Been using 1/3 sheet of toilet tissue on top of 10 grains of unique with a 250 grain Lee bullet. Read it was better for uniform pressures and accuracy. I find that part of the loading process to be a pain. That load shoots really well and is fun to shoot.

Does anyone else shoot this load without a filler and if so how does it work for you?

Le Loup Solitaire
04-18-2013, 10:09 PM
I have been using 10 grains of Unique in my 38-55's but with Lyman # 375248...an older mold from the 70's. Also with an old Winchester mold that weighs 255 grains. I do not use a filler and just raise the muzzle to keep the powder to the rear of the case. Accuracy is good, recoil is low, no leading or unburned powder. Fun to shoot. LLS

uscra112
04-18-2013, 10:42 PM
You don't really need a filler with that load. I don't shoot a .38-55 but have not used fillers in any Unique load in years. When I did, it was in the .35 Remington, which has sorta-kinda similar case capacity. Generally I'm into using Red Dot and Herco now, which light very easily and fill more of the case. Not to run down Unique - it's still a crackerjack powder for boolit loads. But if you happen to have any Herco, give it a try. Slightly slower than Unique so you'll wind up going up to 11 grains I'd reckon.

When I did use fillers, I found kapok to be easier to load than TP. And you're using way too much TP anyway. A 1" square would do the job just as well. Maybe better.

williamwaco
04-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Been using 1/3 sheet of toilet tissue on top of 10 grains of unique with a 250 grain Lee bullet. Read it was better for uniform pressures and accuracy. I find that part of the loading process to be a pain. That load shoots really well and is fun to shoot.

Does anyone else shoot this load without a filler and if so how does it work for you?

Yes. I use that exact load.

Do not bother with a filler.

Unique is totally insensitive to powder position.

Muskyhunter1
04-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Really appreciate the feedback folks. I will make some loads up without filler and see how she does. I heard several people talk about Red Dot. Think I will have to try and get a pound for some experimentation.

Anybody try Hi Skor 700x? An old Lyman cast book I have lists it between 6.0 - 8.5 grain for a 249 grain bullet for 1150 fps. I have been using a 250 grain with about 8.0 grains of 700x. That load is mild recoil and very accurate. It is aasy on the brass and the gun too. I guess much like Unique.

captaint
04-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I load my 38-55 milder loads with 4895 and no filler. They are unexpectedly accurate in my Win Miroku Highwall. Mike