PDA

View Full Version : Hunting !!!!!

NSP64
09-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Yesterday was first day of Dove season here and I forgot!!:confused: Plan on taking the 16yo out tonight and try some of my reloads I made with homedropped shot:drinks: Will post pics if we club any:Fire: anyone else out hunting already?

SharpsShooter
09-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Yes Sir! I spent the entire afternoon with my 6yr old son watching for those perfect passing shots. I use a BP double and it is a blast (pun intended). It was my sons first trip to hunt doves and I allowed him to bring his Red Ryder and take shots even though the possibility of a hit was remote. We had a great time and are going again tomorrow evening when it cools down a bit.

SS

NSP64
09-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Great! it has been great weather here with overnight lows in the mid 60's. never too young to start. 16 yo is using an 1100 LT-20 2 3/4", a chance of a hit is remote also:) (16 YO NOT GUN)

9.3X62AL
09-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I went out locally yesterday and today, not much flying around here. Thunderstorms tend to drive them south, and we've had storms just about every day since Friday. I'll try again locally tomorrow morning, and may head to the Imperial Valley after the holiday weekend. Hot, humid, and sweaty hunting.

NSP64
09-03-2007, 06:02 PM
success!!:drinks: Only was able to go out for 2hr today,got off half a dozen shots was only able to get 1:( 16 yo was using factory loaded fed 7 1/2, 2 3/4 shells. I had some reloads 7/8oz #7 homecast, waa20 wad, 17gr international clays 2 3/4. and some 1oz loads w/ waa20-f1 wads and 20gr bluedot. The first couple shots were 7/8 loads, didn't seem to get there. slipped in a 1oz load and the next one I shot at stopped like it flew into a wall:Fire: 16 yo missed everything:( I would give him first 3 shots at em and then I would shoot. Practice makes perfect. I tried to get him to use the 1oz loads,but you know teens, they got to learn the hard way:mrgreen http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t74/newsmokepole64/sharpay004.jpg

SharpsShooter
09-03-2007, 08:08 PM
My son and I went out with a hunting buddy and his daughter. It was in the upper 80's and sticky humid too. No birds today. I think they were hiding in the shade themselves. We did scout some new property that we just got permission to hunt now and this fall too, so all was not lost. These folks have a seriouis coyote problem and although we did not encounter any today I had this along for coyote medicine.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/KragBeltAmmo.jpg

My son Sam wanted to find out what happens when you shoot a pile of horse turds with a Red Ryder and here he is in the test phase........
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/SamShootsthe****.jpg

I am pleased to report that no one was injured in the process of this test, but the local ambiance bore no resemblance to a perfume store.[smilie=1:

Sam is a good kid to shoot the shi....er......stuff with. I just figure on getting a call tomorrow from his teacher askiong why he keeps saying that all he did this weekend was "shoot the shi......er ......poo.

We had a great time!

SS

smkummer
09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
One of the better opening days of Dove hunting in So. Indiana. My son got 2 doves with one shot. That was after using about 1 box of shells per bagged bird so it was a good ending. Lots of shooting and lead in the air. Rock doves are commonly known as peigons (sp?).

NSP64
09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
My son and I went out with a hunting buddy and his daughter. It was in the upper 80's and sticky humid too. No birds today. I think they were hiding in the shade themselves. We did scout some new property that we just got permission to hunt now and this fall too, so all was not lost. These folks have a seriouis coyote problem and although we did not encounter any today I had this along for coyote medicine.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/KragBeltAmmo.jpg

My son Sam wanted to find out what happens when you shoot a pile of horse turds with a Red Ryder and here he is in the test phase........
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/SamShootsthe****.jpg

I am pleased to report that no one was injured in the process of this test, but the local ambiance bore no resemblance to a perfume store.[smilie=1:

Sam is a good kid to shoot the shi....er......stuff with. I just figure on getting a call tomorrow from his teacher askiong why he keeps saying that all he did this weekend was "shoot the shi......er ......poo.

We had a great time!

SS

looks like fun for all:drinks: I can't figure the picture thing????I used to be able to post a real pic not just a link:confused:Them sure are some pretty boolits whats the load and velocity

SharpsShooter
09-03-2007, 08:47 PM
To do the picture I just copy the image code from photobucket (under your pictures look for the IMG box ) and copy that label. Paste it into the message and taa daa it is there.

The 30 40 load is 23gr of 4198 and a Lyman 311299 (208grs) for just under 1700fps.

SS