PDA

View Full Version : seater stem for flat nose 9mm.

Muddydogs
04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
So I got a set of RCBS 9mm dies through a trade and it has the round nose seater stem. Didn't think about the seater stem until I took the die apart to clean it up. I looked on Midway and didn't see a seater stem for anything but Gold Dot's. I am planning on loading the Lee 358 105 SWC as a plinking load. Anyone know were I can get an appropriate seater plug? I might try the epoxy trick to adjust the on I got but I will eventually want to load round nose or hollow point bullets also.

04-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I use hot melt glue on multi-use seater stems and top punches.

noylj
04-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Take out the sizing stem and see how the bullet fits. If the FN is also RFN, then it probably fits just fine. I don't like hot melt or anything like that. Most seating stems do a more than adequate job with pistol rounds, since they are seldom shot at more than 50 yards.
Thus, if I was you, I would assume the die company had a pretty good idea of how to make a general purpose seating stem and I would load a few and see how they seat and shoot. Even a totally flat seating stem is more than adequate for most loading needs.
If I really need a special seating stem, I go to Lee or Hornady and order a special seating stem that fits the bullet and is machined co-axially.

DLCTEX
04-17-2013, 10:53 PM
I haven't tried flat seater stems, but I have tried flat nose punches in lubesizers. I have had problems with boolits being pushed through off center. I would be afraid that a seating stem could seat a boolit crooked also.

runfiverun
04-17-2013, 11:15 PM
38 special

Muddydogs
04-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Flat seater stems are common, RCBS and Hornady usually send a flat and round with there pistol dies. I use flat stems for 357,38,44 and 45. Never had a problem with seating bullets. Trouble I'm having is finding a flat stem for the RCBS die, I would take one out of another die but both my 38 seater dies are Hornady and will not work in the RCBS. I jumped on the internet but all I could find for stems for RCBS dies is the Gold Dot seater stems, same with 38 they all seam to be Gold Got stems. No the round nose will not seat a SWC without rounding the SWC some. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a source for the flat RCBS stem. I figured I could spend 5 bucks and get it faster then calling RCBS.

Muddydogs
04-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Upon further searching I found a post on this board from 2009 that says to use a small piece of aluminum foil rolled in a ball and shoved into the die. I think I will give this a try.