PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal!

Freightman
09-01-2007, 05:01 PM
with the "primer" shortage? My son called me and ask if I needed anything from the reloading store that is 20 miles from my house. I said why not get me some SRP and LRP. He ask the owner of the store if he was having trouble getting primers, "no said he could get more than he could pay for" he is of the opinion that the manufactures wanted a price increase and the internet is a good place to start a rumor to get it without people gripping to much.
Now I have no idea but he has never had any problem getting anything to do with reloading, but he goes up with the market. He is as reasonable as any of the online supliers, and the gunshows. I kinda wonder if we ar not getting our chain pulled! No you do not have to agree with me I am just reporting what the man told my son.

johnho
09-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Most places i frequent are all out of Rem 7 1/2, any LP and any SP primers. Have been for a long time now. I have finally gotten to the point of buying them on line. Even with the hazmat fee and shipping they are still less than i would have to pay when I do find them. Found one box of rem 7 1/2 at Bass pro for $33-last time I bought from them the price was $22 and that was about 5 months ago. The $33 box was still there when I left.

Scrounger
09-01-2007, 05:35 PM
You say $33 a box, is that a hundred, a thousand or what? I must have 30 or 40 thousand 7-1/2s in my stash.

johnho
09-01-2007, 06:01 PM
1000, should have said case. Damn.

armoredman
09-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I will need some more CCI-500s very soon. Still have some WSP. It's hit and miss with Sportsman's Warehouse, somedays it's easy as pie to find stuff, some days the shelves are bare.

jdhenry
09-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I went to my local small town gun shop today ,(To drool:) )I was talking with them about costs and was informed that as of today anything they order (Primers brass,and boolits) in will have a cost increase of 13-15%. So I figured I better buy more primers from them............... Till I found out that a brick wasn't $23.00 any more , but $34.00. Glad I bought all they had back in December:)

Freightman
09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I gave 50 for 2000 that was with tax.

Dale53
09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
I JUST paid $102.50 from Powder Valley for 5000 Fed LP. They are now out of Federal LP but have other brands in stock. I should receive my batch Wed (UPS Tracking). SP were the same price. Other brands were cheaper in some cases.

Dale53

sundog
09-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Easy, when it's in stock, buy ALL of it.

jerrold
09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
The original post causes me to recall a saying i have often heard. Opinions are like one other thing everyone has!!! The dealer has his , i have mine. If one need 100 primers, but a thousand, if you need a thousand buy 5000. My opinion, that is the difference between an old F#@# and a newbee :drinks: :drinks: You will never regret it.

trickyasafox
09-02-2007, 01:13 AM
don't give up. i paid 15.59 per k for CCI in august and 15.50 for magtechs at the same time.

hope is not lost gentlemen. hope is not lost.

arkypete
09-02-2007, 07:11 AM
The original post causes me to recall a saying i have often heard. Opinions are like one other thing everyone has!!! The dealer has his , i have mine. If one need 100 primers, but a thousand, if you need a thousand buy 5000. My opinion, that is the difference between an old F#@# and a newbee :drinks: :drinks: You will never regret it.

Cannot agree more!
Bought a load of primers from Powder Valley several years ago. Hearing the current prices I feel like a Wall Street Mogul.
After breakfast I may go down and fondle my boxes of primers.
Jim

randyrat
09-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Fondle primers R U kidin- I sleep with mine

Jim
09-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Sportsman's Warehouse finally got in some LPs this past week. I bought 2 1K cases last night for $18. some odd. All they had were Magtech brand. I didn't question or complain, I just snatched 'em up and ran to the check out.

dakotashooter2
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
I really question what the heck is going on. I know of three different stores in the same town. One says it's impossible to get brand X, the next can't get brand Y, and the other brand Z. ??????????????????? If one can get them why can't the other.

The next is the price. Yes I realize the price of metals has gone up dramatically but really. How much brass is used in the production of 1000 primers. That portion alone probably doesn't account for more than a buck or two of the cost to produce if that. I'll allow some inflation for costs of production but the cost of primers have , at least in some areas doubled in price in the last 2-3 years. I find it hard to believ the cost to produce them has increased enough to justify that.

Scrounger
09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I really question what the heck is going on. I know of three different stores in the same town. One says it's impossible to get brand X, the next can't get brand Y, and the other brand Z. ??????????????????? If one can get them why can't the other.

The next is the price. Yes I realize the price of metals has gone up dramatically but really. How much brass is used in the production of 1000 primers. That portion alone probably doesn't account for more than a buck or two of the cost to produce if that. I'll allow some inflation for costs of production but the cost of primers have , at least in some areas doubled in price in the last 2-3 years. I find it hard to believ the cost to produce them has increased enough to justify that.

It hasn't. The explanation for 95% of all price increases is greed.

imashooter2
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Federal primers are an issue as their production is going into military contracts. Everyone else seems to be riding on the Federal shortage. I bought a sleeve each of Federal LPM and SPM in the March/April time frame at $105 a sleeve and was happy to get them. For my match revolvers, Federal is all that will work.