PDA

View Full Version : 357 Mag and bevel base boolits

Waldog
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
I am starting to reload for the 357 mag and had to buy Berry's or Raineer 158 SWC boolits as I'm don't have any357 mag molds yet. All the commercial casters use bevel base bullets. How are they going to work in the 357 mag or 44 mag ( I bought some of those as well). I'm saving money for a couple of "Keith " type mold and they all have flat bases Any load suggestions? Any suggestions??

454PB
09-01-2007, 12:45 AM
In my opinion, bevel base boolits are a solution to a non existent problem. The theory is that they are easier to load, since they don't hang up on the case mouth. In reality, all they do is collect unwanted boolit lube, which requires either modification to the sizer center punch, or extra effort to wipe the collected lube off the boolit base. Some casters say the lube on the base does no harm, but loaded ammo that has sat in a car in hot weather will pollute the powder. Save yourself some grief and buy a flat based design. Keith is GOOD!

crabo
09-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Check out this article written by Glen.

http://www.lasc.us/38SWC.htm

When I was trying to find a bullet that shot well in my guns, I ordered 5 different plain based bullets from Montanna Bullet Works. It was an eye opener. I also tried several BB bullets and none of them shoot well at 50 yards.

Crabo

44man
09-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I bought a Lee mold for the BB and never liked how it shot. I removed the BB from the mold and accuracy increased a lot. I now like the boolit. I was hand lubing so there was not the problem of lube on the BB. I have a hunch the BB funnels gas to where we don't want it. I also wonder what happens at the cylinder gap. Then also there is the question of moving weight foreward.

Waldog
09-01-2007, 10:08 AM
This is exactly what I had feared!! Thanks for the feedback guys. Crabo, I ESPECIALLY like the articles you gave me in your link. They are GREAT!! Some of the best cast bullet articles I have read in YEARS.

I guess I'll save my money and get the flat base Keith sytle bullet molds!!!

Char-Gar
09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Bevel base cast bullets and boat tail jacketed bullet don't match the accuracy of a plain base bullet all other factors being equal.

P.S... Glen's article on the SWC in the 38/.357 is the best I have read in "lo this many years". To date it is the definative article on the subject.

I have been using the SAECO/Cramer #12 since the mid-60 in the 38/.357 with complete satisfaction.

I do use the Lyman 358156 at time in the .357 ctg. The purpose is to use a softer alloy for HP bullets or an alloy that might give some expansion and would not do well in a plain base design.

For pure accuracy, I have never found a bullet that gives better accruacy than the old Lyman 358311 ( RNPB) in the 38 Special sixgun and I have used this bullet in several dozen. The accuracy is just plain scarry. I like 5.5/AA5 under this bullet.

utk
09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
If you're thinking of buying the Lyman 358665 to avoid Lee's bevel-based 358-158-RF - forget it!
The picture on Lyman's homepage shows a flatbase boolit so I ordered the mould.
But, what a disappointment! It had a bevel base, just like Lee's version.
And Lyman's customer service were not very helpful either, or gave any explanation.

I do not like Lyman...

centershot
09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Hmmmmm...............Well, I guess my experience with BB bullets is quite different than most folks. Currently I am usyng a 180 gr TC BB bullet loaded over 11.0 gr of #2400 in my Marlin 1894c carbine. Velocity is 1500 fps and, with aperture sights, I am getting 1.5" groups @ 100 yds. That same bullet over 14.0 gr of Lil' Gun gives one jagged hole about 1" in diameter from my Security Six and my S&W M-28 with iron sights @ 25 yds. This is the MOST accurate bullet I have ever used in these guns! They were purchased from Penn Bullet Co., if you're interested. I am starting to cast my own now, and have an identical mold on order. I really don't think one style of bullet is inherently more accurate than the other, I think it depends more on having a load that balances out well. I wanted a 180 gr. bullet and did the load development necessary to find what works, it's not rocket science or voodoo or anything of the sort and we all know that! Pick the bullet you want and work up the load.

centershot

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart!"
Confuscius

centershot
09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Oh, and I'd just like to say "Thank you!" to all of you who have paved the way by contributing so much information and passing on so much knowledge to us neophytes! This is an incredible forum, and I thank you!:drinks:

centershot

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart!"
Confuscius

Waldog
09-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Ditto what CenterShot said! I want to get a pair of "Keith" syle molds for my 357 and 44. Until then I'm stuck with my commercial bevel base bullets. Thanks again for everyone's input.