PDA

View Full Version : victory at the out doors store

johnstonab
04-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Started this morning at 0500 when the beagle said AAAARF! Let her out and looked down and saw the 1 1/2 gallons of range lead needing melted. so i figured no-one else is up yet, I shall fire up the burner and melt some of this stuff. 20 lbs of ingots later I decided to for and reload some 223 sense I finally found some small rifle primers. found out that I didn't have the right powder on the bench. I was a beautiful day today so the out doors store down in Ashland seemed like a good ride in hopes of finding a powder I could load. I jumped on the Harley and rode the hour ride down there. I got there and the staff there at Green Top was very helpful as usual and I got the right powder. I asked him if they had much in stock for casting, he walked me over to the correct aisle. Very helpful and also a caster, he recommended that I add a bit of tin to my range lead to fix my leading issues in my 45s.

Now for the victory part. right when I was about to leave I took one last look at what boolit molds that had and I saw it! Lee .356 124gr LRN TL 2 cavity! in the middle of the stack of .490 round balls. VICTORY!!!

Turned out to be a GREAT ride. 130 miles round trip, which would be a great ride in itself, and I found the first powder on my list of options and a 9mm mold.

Lessons learned today:
where sunscreen when on the bike for that long (the Mrs told me to, I forgot and am regretting it now)
when picking up your spoon (that you just put down) to scoop more casings and dirt out, use the hand with the glove on it. those things are hot.
A gallon jug FULL of bullets from the range is HEAVY, lift with your legs not your back.

dmclark523
04-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Wow very nice find! How was the pricing on that? Were they gouging at all?

I went the other day to my local store and they must have had 100K primers of all different kinds, selling at $3.59/100, limit 300 per customer per day.
Picked up some small rifle. "VICTORY!" is exactly how I felt!

x101airborne
04-14-2013, 10:57 PM
My LGS is selling primers for 5.99 / 100, limit 5. No thanks.
Wal Mart here has 40, 9mm, and 380 in stock at 14.99 / 50. Monarch brand if I remember correctly. Hey, it goes bang. I am glad you had a good day. I grabbed two pounds of Win 748 the other day for 29.99 a pound. I just couldn't let it sit. I miss the days of buying ACC 2230 for 9.00 a pound from midway. I still have 20 or so pounds, but I would stock up again if I could get it.

johnstonab
04-15-2013, 06:26 AM
The powder was around $29 and the mold was around $16. Those seem about what they used to be years ago.