PDA

View Full Version : new caster - about lead source.

kellyj00
08-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm calling around various scrap yards in my area, and the cheapest I've found is 60 cents per pound for lead. So, for my 200 grain 45acp rounds, I'm looking about about 35 bullets for 60 cents. That's not too shabby compared to the cost of bullets.

What I'm concerned with is that this lead may be sub-standard in some way and that I'll have to buy a whole bunch of antimony or tin to make it work as a bullet. I'm only making pistol rounds out of it, so should I be concerned with 1) the price? ..too high? 2) that it's not good quality stuff and to only buy from reputable lead makers or use wheel weights.

Thanks!

leftiye
08-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Kelly,
You'll need pure (be dammmmed sure it is pure or at least as soft as pure) lead to dilute either wheelweights (50/50 is a good universal alloy -can be heat treated for higher pressure loads) or linotype. Linotype at 1 to 3 with pure is close to the same, and should not have the impurities found in wheelweights. Pure lead is mainly useful in blackpowder loads, and yes you'll be looking for other metals to harden it with for most of your smokeless loads. Those same scrap yards usually have wheelweights, and may even have linotype.