PDA

View Full Version : Big smelt this weekend

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm renting a "fish fry" double burner unit and trying to render down 600lbs of Pure pb and about 6 buckets of WW on sunday.

My main objective is (mostly) clean ingots that I can tidy up at home (can't do a big smelt at my condo, but I can get away with "tabletop" ingotizing)

How long can I expect it to take?

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, there is a 3 day window of no rain that Sunday is in the middle of and there will be little to no beer since I'm doing it in the parkinglot of my office building downtown (nobody downtown to annoy with smelt smoke)

I figured it would take most of the day, I am just hoping to get them ALL ingotized within my one-day rental.

Powderpacker
08-31-2007, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE= I'm doing it in the parkinglot of my office building downtown (nobody downtown to annoy with smelt smoke).[/QUOTE]
"downtown" like downtown Chicago ? There's got'a be something illegal in that, either actual or made-up-on-the-spot by the discovering officer(s). Probably wouldn't hurt to have a little walkin' around money handy just in case .

IcerUSA
08-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Will depend on the pot size and how long it takes to get the first pot full for pouring ingots, after that it should go good as you will have the melted lead to help melt the rest. Pour till the pot is about half gone and add, wait a few and pour some more . YOU will be busy tho . :-D But it should be a nice pile of ingots when your done . [smilie=w:

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm not actually in Chicago proper, and I have an "in" with the SWAT Sgt...

I'm melting in stock-pots and using a 4lb cast ladle to dip & pour after scraping dross.

Springfield
08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
I have a pot that holds 150 lbs of melt. I also have enough ingots to pour 75 lbs at a time. After the first pot worth is melted, which seems to take forever(45 minutes plus) then I can do about 120 lbs an hour. You need lots of ingot moulds otherwise the melt is ready but you are waiting on ingots to cool. .

Old Ironsights
08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I may have to get a few muffin pans....

KYCaster
08-31-2007, 11:20 PM
You better pack a lunch....it'll be an all day job.

Jerry