PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a huge bell??

Gussy
08-31-2007, 11:20 AM
My wife got the explorer out of the shop yesterday. Bear damage has been repaired. On the way home she had to hammer the brakes to avoid 2 coyotes standing in the middle of the road.

What is it with her and that car?? 3 deer, 1 bear, lots of birds (all small except for one turkey and it was a glancing blow). Almost got a cougar one night. So far no elk but I'm not ruling it out.

I think a front crash bar with a large bell on it. Full side bars too. Maybe radar and an air horn?

PatMarlin
08-31-2007, 11:22 AM
What it is with my wife is 70 mph in a 35.. :roll:

scrapcan
08-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Gussy,

Sounds to me like you need to put some skinning knives in the vehicle. If she runs something over she has to stop and dress it and skin it. I am sure after one episode of that she will decide it is easier to be more careful.

DeanoBeanCounter
08-31-2007, 11:53 AM
:twisted: I know! A cow catcher like a train has. [smilie=1:
Deano

DeanoBeanCounter
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Or a snow plow blade.

Swagerman
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, you could rig up your horn button to play a pre-recorded roar of an african lion.

That might move them critters out of the road.

Either that, or take up body and fender work as a hobby. :mrgreen:

Jim

Boz330
08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Gussy, a boolit is much cheaper to fill the freezer. 2 cents for a primer, 5cents for powder and maybe a penny for the boolit. Seriously though have you tried the deer whistles on the bumper. One of the insurance co. here was passing them out free. I had one guy who owned a trucking company tell me that they hadn't had a single deer strike after using them. Personally I don't know if they work or not but might be worth a try. Even with insurance you still have the deductable and reduction in resale value of the vehicle.
Another option might be a 53 Hudson Hornet, if you can find one. I slid one into a concrete wall once on ice and it chipped the paint a little.:mrgreen:

Good Luck
Bob

armoredman
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
There's an outfit in Phoenix that sells old cash transport armored trucks, usually pretty cheap...

monadnock#5
08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
A few years back I followed another car over Temple Mt. doing 55mph at night, with 5 or 6 car lengths in between. We were just starting down the west side of the Mt. when a doe burst out of the bushes on the south side of the road, running directly at the car ahead. By the time it got to where the lead car had been, it was in the empty space in between, and by the time I got to where it had been it was long gone into the pucker brush.

Are the critters around here smarter than yours, or are you and your friends such good hunters that they're committing suicide before the season begins? :mrgreen:

Gussy
08-31-2007, 03:01 PM
The deer whistles worked for a while when they came out. Now they think they're dinner bells. Shes had the whistles broken off by the deer shes hit.

For a while I was thinking it was the color of the car. Dark blue, they can't see her coming. Then I remember 2 or 3 deer she got with the old silver bronco II. 1 or 2 with the '67 cougar, dark green color. 2-3 with a Mercury Villager, dark grey color.....see what I mean???

We are going in next month for eye exams. Maybe I should go first and tell the doc to up hers a couple of times so she sees further.
Gus

Ricochet
08-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Can you rig knives on the fenders so they'll skin 'em when they hit?

No_1
08-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Gussy, I really think you should consider keeping her out of the car for the rest of deer season. I would hate to hear you had to pay a fine because she has exceeded her limit and if you do not take the car from her at least make sure her hunting license is current then get her a doe tag. I also think you should keep a low profile. PETA will be knocking on your door soon.
Sheesh - With a wife like that, who needs a gun for huntin season....

R.

DeanoBeanCounter
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
PETA isn't on my list. What is it?

No_1
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
People for the Ethinical treatment of Animals.

PETA isn't on my list. What is it?

Slowpoke
08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
We are going in next month for eye exams. Maybe I should go first and tell the doc to up hers a couple of times so she sees further.
Gus

I don't believe a bell is the answer I think a engine governor and some new glasses might be the best bang for the buck. :) :)

good luck

MGySgt
08-31-2007, 09:08 PM
People for the Ethinical treatment of Animals.

I like my version better:

People Eating Tasty Animals

Boz330
09-01-2007, 10:34 AM
You beat me to it Gunny:mrgreen:

Bob

HORNET
09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Gussy, maybe you need to check and make sure those deer whistles are mounted right. If you mount them backwards.....:roll:
Probably doesn't matter. I've got them on my car and had 2 deer run into the side of it last year. Only got about 3 feet from the corn fields to the road most places around here and they're into you before you can do anything.:(

HORNET
09-05-2007, 07:56 AM
OH, POOH!! Shouldn't have said anything..Had another one run into the side of my right front fender about an hour ago on my way in to work early. No apparent damage to the old Buick and no sign of the deer when I went back.

mooman76
09-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't have a large bell but I saw one last time I was in Philly!

medic44
09-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Have a friend how has an old 2 1/2 ton w/ rail road track welded on for a bumper.