"Dog's lives are much too short. Their only fault, really"
Agnes Sligh Turnbull

This sums it up for me.

mallardhunter
04-14-2013, 08:23 AM
I agree! Miss mine bad!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/14/9yratuty.jpg

Rick N Bama
04-14-2013, 12:03 PM
"My" Dog is a Malamute that belongs to someone down the road from me. He comes around every day to check on us & when the Grandsons come he'll show up within a few minutes to play with them. The dog is collered, but with no name plate we don't have a clue as to where he really belongs.

Rick

Kull
04-14-2013, 12:17 PM
"Dog's lives are much too short. Their only fault, really"
Agnes Sligh Turnbull

This sums it up for me.

I'd agree with that.

Off topic but for me the next best thing are mules. Like a big pet dog except they live for 35 years or so.

wallenba
04-14-2013, 12:26 PM
When they pass, I always feel it was too soon. I wish science would work on the longevity of dogs. Seems unfair that a tortoise lives a hundred years, and we lose our best friends at 10-16.

DCP
04-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Maybe its Gods way to teach us about life and death. I sure do plan on asking him.

I just smile at people who say. Well its just a dog

Bad Water Bill
04-14-2013, 01:38 PM

The ONLY reason they can say that is because they have never allowed one to enter their lives.

I feel sorry for them as they have missed out on so much joy.

Bullet Caster
04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
A dog is not just a dog. He is man's best friend. Dogs offer unconditional love. A dog is a loyal friend that won't betray you. A dog's life is much too short. I miss my collie in the worst kinda way. She will always live in my memory and I hope to see her again someday. All dogs go to heaven. BC

DCP
04-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I really understand how you, Bill and all the others feel

Vaya con Dios

A dog is not just a dog. He is man's best friend. Dogs offer unconditional love. A dog is a loyal friend that won't betray you. A dog's life is much too short. I miss my collie in the worst kinda way. She will always live in my memory and I hope to see her again someday. All dogs go to heaven. BC

LUCKYDAWG13
04-14-2013, 03:49 PM
my dog lucky just went Blind over night has a mould disease in her lungs
called Blastomycosis that went to her eyes we may lose her she is 4 years old
so yes way to short

Bad Water Bill
04-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Tho we miss them, never forget they are waiting with tails wagging to meet us at the bridge when it is our time to cross over.

NSP64
04-14-2013, 04:51 PM
I AGREE
My dog just passed away. We got him from the shelter 8 years ago, he was 5 when we got him.
20 minutes ago.
He wasn't feeling good. He threw up this morning. went into the back yard, layed down in the sun, and was gone.

I want to lay him to rest in the backyard. Soil is only 2' deep before you hit clay. Anything I can put with him to keep the smell to a minimum?
Thanks

DCP
04-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Sorry for your loss

We are going to cremate ours. They will be buried with one of us

Who lives the longest gets the dogs.

I AGREE
My dog just passed away. We got him from the shelter 8 years ago, he was 5 when we got him.
20 minutes ago.
He wasn't feeling good. He threw up this morning. went into the back yard, layed down in the sun, and was gone.

I want to lay him to rest in the backyard. Soil is only 2' deep before you hit clay. Anything I can put with him to keep the smell to a minimum?
Thanks

Bad Water Bill
04-14-2013, 05:38 PM
I want to lay him to rest in the backyard.

When I buried my last dog I wrapped him in the throw rug he always laid on. I dug a spot right next to the A/C he hit every time he went out. Barron was laid to rest with about a foot of soil covering him.

He is still there and NEVER a bit of fragrance in the last 27 years.

2 foot of soil should be more than enough to avoid any smell.

Tomorrow go to a shelter and find his replacement. He would not want to see you sad.

Yes I know the hole in your heart is bigger than the one you will dig but that is the way with our dogs

NSP64
04-14-2013, 06:05 PM
We adopted 2 Dachshunds 2 years ago. 1 was a mini,(6 month old female) the other a standard size male 5 years old

mallardhunter
04-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I hope the best for you. Hope she gets better.

mallardhunter
04-14-2013, 09:23 PM
You can bury your dog with lime. Get it at your local feed store.

gandydancer
04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
mine are the best friends I have. and yes they should live much longer then they do.

:2_high5:

x101airborne
04-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Maybe its Gods way to teach us about life and death. I sure do plan on asking him.

Exactly what my mother told me.
When my Bonnie-Girl got hit on the highway last month, I took it real hard. As did the whole family. My oldest son told my mother that he did not want any more dogs for a while. My mother explained it the EXACT same way you put it. "God's way of teaching us to love and lose those close to us". That immediately made my son feel better and to tell the truth, me as well. It just made a lot of sense to all of us and I could not have said it better.
The wisdom of Mothers never fails to amaze me.

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2013, 07:15 AM
told my wife when this one dies i want him cremated and his ashes saved till i crater and then i want them mixed together and burried together.

cbrick
04-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Some of the very best people I've ever known had a cold wet nose, four feet and flapping tail. :mrgreen:

Rick

mold maker
04-15-2013, 07:46 AM
When God gave us dogs, he gave us the next best thing to perfection. The best, he kept for himself.

cbrick
04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Reading this thread now has me needing to go wake up that lazy critter. She doesn't mind me interrupting her beauty sleep if it involves a tummy rub or better yet a cookie.

Rick

snuffy
04-15-2013, 10:19 AM
A guy had a website back about ten years ago. Called himself coug2wolfs. He had a section of his site with an eulogy to his springer ranger, the title was "footprints on my soul".

I feel like many of my dogs over my lifetime have left their footprints on my soul.

And yes, they do not live long enough. As to why, it's most likely because we care way too much for how they look! AKC breeds HAVE to look a certain way to be registered. They breed for looks, ignoring longevity. The best dogs are what the elite consider mongrels, or heins 57.

I'll see my friends-hunting partners when I approach the rainbow bridge. It'll be a mob scene, I've had a lot of dogs over the years. It won't be heaven without them.

captaint
04-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Funny. My wife and me were discussing this with my oldest son (32) just yesterday. She said she's gonna be so disappointed if our dogs are not waiting at the Rainbow Bridge when she shows up. And she meant it. God, please have them there for us..... Mike

Reverend Al
04-16-2013, 07:04 PM
told my wife when this one dies i want him cremated and his ashes saved till i crater and then i want them mixed together and burried together.
I know exactly how you feel. I lost my best little buddy "Jake", my favorite German Shorthaired Pointer, exactly one year ago this month and there isn't a day goes by that I don't think of him and miss him. I had some of the best days of my life walking along behind him with a 20 gauge SxS double in my hands. We had him cremated and his ashes are in a lovely little wooden box in the back room and I plan to do exactly that myself ... when it's time I'd like his ashes mixed with mine and we'll be scattered in one our favorite upland bird hunting spots together ...

LatheRunner
04-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Yea they touch your heart. I remember everyone I have had. The little girl I have now is a real hoot. She does all kinds of crazy stuff. She loves to lay in the sun beams on my daughters bed.67719

pdawg_shooter
04-17-2013, 10:51 AM

If dogs dont go heaven, neither do I.

DCP
04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Ponder this

Dogs are truly Mans best friend
If you dont agree consider this

Lock your dog in the trunk for ten minutes.
Then your wife and see who is happy to see you.

skeeter2
04-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Had to put my English Springer Spaniel down last month. He was my first dog. He taught me a lot about loyalty. Tomorrow would have been his 12 th birthday. It will be a sad day for me. I still have my three year old and have a puppy on the way. Damn I love my spaniels. Still have the empty shell casing from the first pheasant I shot over him. It still sits on my desk.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM

Reverend Al
04-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, I definitely have to agree. My best little hunting buddy "Jake", my German Shorthaired Pointer, passed away a year ago this month at only 11 1/2 years old ... I wish that he'd lasted just a little bit longer so that we could have spent another season or two hunting Grouse and Pheasants together. I have his ashes in the back room in a nice little wooden box waiting to be mixed with mine when the time comes as well.
Rest in Peace my little friend ...

rush1886
04-23-2013, 09:29 PM
If dogs dont go heaven, neither do I.

Amen. Just..............Amen!

popper
04-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Except when they jump ino your lap and pee on you. Wife says we can get new furniture and carpet when she gets spayed and house trained.

Smitty's Retired
04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Dogs start out as pets but quickly become hairy legged youngins.

Bad Water Bill
04-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Wife says we can get new furniture and carpet when she gets spayed and house trained.

Do I understand you correctly?

You can get new furniture and carpeting only after YOUR WIFE gets spayed and house broken?:veryconfu:kidding:

Smitty's Retired
04-24-2013, 07:26 PM

You can get new furniture and carpeting only after YOUR WIFE gets spayed and house broken?:veryconfu:kidding:

That's what I'm hearing Bill. [smilie=l:

cbrick
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM

You can get new furniture and carpeting only after YOUR WIFE gets spayed and house broken.

Well geez, I can understand no new carpets until she's house broke. Maybe diapers would help. :coffeecom

Rick

Firebricker
04-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes, dogs truly are "mans best friend"

Diamonds are women's best friends ... I think us guy got the better deal!

Dog just have a way of making your heart feel like everything is gonna be OK, even if it's not!

We got much better deal dogs protect you make you feel better relieve stress help you eat left overs among many other things.
Diamonds are only good for attracting thieves and cutting glass LOL