PDA

View Full Version : annealed brass question, LC, 5.56, old military ammo. Do I have a problem?

TheDoctor
04-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Was pulling down some old lake city 5.56 for a buddy of mine, and noticed that the brass was not only annealed at the neck, but the shoulder, and a third or so down the body. I am only aware of annealing the case necks, and only the necks. Have always been warned about shoulder/body. Did they used to have poor QC when it comes to this, or am I seeing a problem where there is not one? Upon trying to seat the bullets just a "touch" to break the asphalt seal, several of the cases buckled a little on the body, just below the shoulder. Thanks

BTW: This looks like factory ammo, not reloads. Still has crimped and sealed primers, bullet sealant, and on stripper clips. It's only 60 rounds, so no big loss if the brass would be no good, was mainly pulling for the bullets anyway. The powder smells like it's starting to turn. Burned some, and it was not nearly as enthusiastic as most other powders I've put the torch to.

runfiverun
04-13-2013, 11:45 PM
no problem.
you are just seing a color change the actual neck too the 700+ heat needed for the anneal.
I see lc and other 223 brass do the same thing using temp-I-laq.

Mk42gunner
04-14-2013, 09:09 PM
I saw several million rounds of small arms ammo before I retired; virtually all of the bottle necked rounds had the annealing colors show below the shoulder as you describe.

Robert

TheDoctor
04-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Ultrasonic'd em, then tumbled them. Discoloration went bye bye. Looked like new brass. Well, it was almost new, never fired though! Hardest part was getting the asphalt (if that's what it was) off the bullets and from inside the case necks.